Skoda Connect WiFi No Internet Connection

1 hour ago, andyvrs230 said:

Forgot to add mine will now read text messages which it did not do when I first picked the car up. Has there been an update today me thinks! 

Mine would always read a text in CarPlay, or do you mean the Skoda voice recognition bit reads the text to you?

1 hour ago, andyvrs230 said:

Question is will you pay for it after 12 months.? Mine was driving me mad but it has been spot on now for nearly 4 months. It is good when it works. 

At the moment, no. I think I need to raise an issue with my dealer about performance of Skoda Connect and check whether I’ve got the latest firmware for my Amundsen.

Wg100 I don't plug my phone in I rely on BlueTooth only its the first time it has read a text out aloud to me. Also new symbols have arrived on my display. Not seen before. I have definitely had some sort of over the air update. 

12 hours ago, andyvrs230 said:

Question is will you pay for it after 12 months.? Mine was driving me mad but it has been spot on now for nearly 4 months. It is good when it works. 

12 hours ago, andyvrs230 said:

Forgot to add mine will now read text messages which it did not do when I first picked the car up. Has there been an update today me thinks! 

No idea, not if its flaky. I'll still connect my phone to stop the damn icon being red though! I'll try to get mien to read a txt over BT when I get one. Don't enjoy much success with voice recognition much though!

Update:

Got the WLAN symbol after about 15 miles of driving to work, so very slow! but i didn't connect to my home wifi or plug the phone in all before hand, so it proves it will connect, although obviously 15 miles (15 minutes on M5) is hardly acceptable. I got Skodaconnect up and accessed the parking app, but it died half way and then said there was no connection, despite still being connected to wifi. I don't know if there would still be an actual connection and it just wasn't good enough for the connect service, but the only way to tell would be to then hot spot the car to another device and I was the only one in it!

On the way home I'll see if it reconnects (as I've a feeling once its connected it works, so could be a dhcp release/renew issue) and if not i'll try plugging it in to see if that forces it. If it does connct over wifi, I'll pug it in next time I drive it to work (probably friday).

21 hours ago, andyvrs230 said:

Voice recognition.  Would never read out no matter how much I shouted at it. (after using recognised commands) of course! 

How do you make it do that? I tried to ask it to text someone on the way home, but when I do anything it just says ‘to activate phone blah blah blah hold down button for one second. Which doesn’t appear to do anything!!

UPDATE: did not connect at all on way home! Will try with it plugged in next time I drive it. Apparently I had a phone call on my landline from Škoda about my connect issues today, just need to listen to the message.

Robijay it read a next message out to me last week for the first time. A new message symbol popped up r/h side top of screen. I pressed Bluetooth button on steering wheel said 'read message' nothing happened then pressed again read new message or read message and it read it out. I need to read the instructions a bit more thoroughly. 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Robbijay said:

Here you go:

just a tad different!! 

A5537077-9788-401E-9745-68571286F15D.jpeg

I guess the hardware/part numbers are different due to yours being a VRS and mine a Scout. However the software numbers are quite different as well as the SHIELD(??) builds. Will make some enquiries with the dealership tomorrow!

So, as promised (I know you're all VERY excited..) I plugged it into day and connect car play, the globe icon went white but i still didn't seem to have anything. Presume this is something to do with iPhones wanting iTunes installed to tether via anything other than wifi and obviously that's not an option! However, when I disconnected car play and remembered to make my phone discoverable again...it connect instantly and I had Skoda Connect working. so it seems like we have a work around for EE users.

I did have a call from a guy at Skoda support on Wednesday who confirmed there is an issue with EE and no it's not good enough when so many of us have loads of data on our phones. Updates usually come out April/November apparently, so not long to wait

On 23/02/2018 at 07:45, Robbijay said:

So, as promised (I know you're all VERY excited..) I plugged it into day and connect car play, the globe icon went white but i still didn't seem to have anything. Presume this is something to do with iPhones wanting iTunes installed to tether via anything other than wifi and obviously that's not an option! However, when I disconnected car play and remembered to make my phone discoverable again...it connect instantly and I had Skoda Connect working. so it seems like we have a work around for EE users.

I did have a call from a guy at Skoda support on Wednesday who confirmed there is an issue with EE and no it's not good enough when so many of us have loads of data on our phones. Updates usually come out April/November apparently, so not long to wait

I think we are on the same page with this insofar as getting our EE iPhones connected.  However, I have now has 2 calls from the guys at Skoda soupport and neither would admit to a known issue.  He did get me to ‘renew lease’ on my WiFi connection but that made no difference.  I was then advised to visit my dealer, who of course managed to get it to connect with the same faffing that we are now adept at.  So - no help really from that quarter.

Parked in my drive within home WiFi range and it will connect to that within about 90 secs.  The globe will remain white for the rest of the journey and initially traffic conditions will show (but disappear after a while).  However, clearly nothing else works and of course once you’ve set off, you don’t want to pull over and faff about with your phone.

I could delete the home WiFi connection, but I also need to switch my phone off WiFi otherwise when it transitions from WiFi to 4G when out of range from the house it drops the connection to the car.

This is only a minor thing in the whole ownership experience, but it really is getting my goat!

The next thing I am going to do is borrow a friends old Android phone, locked to EE with my sim to see if that proves more reliable, if it does, it will narrow things down to an iPhone issue.

I know how to make it work now. Have the phone hot spot switched on AND discoverable. Plug it and don’t connect CarPlay. Connects almost instantly and works. It’s just annoying that you have to choose between CarPlay and data for the traffic/parking. 

I dont particularly want to have my phone plugged lugged in all the time so if it sides t get fixed in the next release I might get a giff gaff always on sim and a separate WiFi dongle. At least that way my wife and I will both be able to use it.

Edited by Robbijay

UPDATE: don't seem to need to have it plugged in as long as its discoverable (I.e turn on hotspot from the settings screen and leave it there til connected).

Woop, no more red globe for me! Now if only the oneapp was good enough to be consistent with realising I've made a journey  and was using roads, not going as the crow files...

Update.  Finally gave up with the faffing with the phone and no car play.  Have taken out a contract with O2 for a Huwai MiFi box on a 2GB monthly rolling contract.  £11 per month with nothing up front.  Connects almost instantly.  Leave it plugged into the boot power supply secured out of sight with a bit of sticky back Velcro.  It seem a to have used about 0.1GB of data all week.  One slightly bizarre thing, yesterday it was working fine but still had a red globe, but will monitor.

• 2 months later...

Mines off again FFS !!! 5 months and no problems had to reset as mentioned before in this topic and have had to delete my connect account. The first 6 times I deleted my account you had to wait 24hours. Now I have to wait 3 days before I can set up again. I think many more people are having this issue and skoda wont admit there is an issue. Im not paying £ 79.00 for connect when free service ends. :( 

I’m glad you posted his as mines been off for 2 days. Think it’s a Škoda connect issue as my car is connected to my WiFi and my WiFi connects to the internet for everything else that connects to it! Hopefully they will fix it! I’ve resorted to Apple maps to get me through Scotland.

As if by magic, all working normally yesterday.  Oh, and an email from Skoda in response to my query apologising for my complaint and asking sor more details of the problem.  Seems left hand and right hand don’t know what they are doing!

As if by magic, all working normally yesterday.  Oh, and an email from Skoda in response to my query apologising for my complaint and asking sor more details of the problem.  Seems left hand and right hand don’t know what they are doing!