2013 1.2 12v What do I need to know?

Looking at a 2013 1.2 Fabia, 50000 miles.

Is there anything that I need to be aware of or specifically check for when viewing / test driving this car?

Ive read about timing chain issues with earlier Mk2s, was the problem rectified by 2013?

Any advice greatfully received.

If its the 12 valve it will be the lowly 3 cylinder HTP engine. Provided its been regularly serviced with clean oil at least annually then only niggle is a tendency for the ignition coil packs (one per cylinder) to fail spuriously. They are only about £25 each (ECP price) and I recommend you carry a spare one in the car. They are easy to change. Search this forum and/or YouTube to show you how. No cam chain issues with this engine usually.

If you meant the 1.2tsi 4 cylinder engine then it's pretty well sorted by 2013, but it does need oil changing at least every 10k/1 year to avoid premature cam chain problems. This engine is far superior to the HTP 3 cylinder. Faster, quieter, smoother and more economical.

Hi thanks for that,

It is indeed the 3 cylinder version. Ive driven one before and although not fast, its a decent enough little runabout. It will primarily be for short journeys to work, shopping trips etc.

If it was for me Id be looking at the 1.6 Tdi but the small petrol will be fine for what its needed for.

Any other comments / views?

Hi bobupndown

You said that the car will be used for short journeys, work and shopping trips etc.

Your preferred 1.6 diesel would be a disaster for short journeys (have a read re diesel,problems arising from use in town).

I speak from experience having bought a 1.6 cr90 tdi in 2013 . With dpf filters and egr valves the diesel is no longer a town car 

18 hours ago, 2ndskoda said:

Hi bobupndown

You said that the car will be used for short journeys, work and shopping trips etc.

Your preferred 1.6 diesel would be a disaster for short journeys (have a read re diesel,problems arising from use in town).

I speak from experience having bought a 1.6 cr90 tdi in 2013 . With dpf filters and egr valves the diesel is no longer a town car 

Sorry misleading post, my use would be totally different, 54 mile round trip commute on A and B roads. Diesel would definitely suit.

If you are looking at one around 2013/14 then you will maybe want to get a 1.2 or 1.6 TDI that has not had VW Groups FIX carried out, 

so that is a consideration for you when looking to buy.

A Petrol Fabia should do your commute for 1 gallon of petrol just as well as a diesel that waste fuel when regens are happening if you buy one were that is a 'feature'.

I've had a 1.2 htp elegance for 18 months and 30,000 miles now (62k in total) and I just love the engine! Being 70 bhp it won't burn up the tarmac on a motorway but it's peak power output is at 3,000 rpm and the gearbox is geared to seemingly keep you in this band when needed.  I travel from Boston to Cardiff and back ( 450 miles round trip) 3 or 4 times a year stress free and in comfort  and I also use the car for work covering about 350 miles per month. Again it's a great little engine for this. The only issue I've experienced was driving up the steep hilly bits in Wales when the engine did struggle if I did not keep it at much higher revs than I would a 4 cylinder, but as the majority of it's time is spent in flat Lincolnshire it's not a problem.  I've driven my sisters 15 plate Fabia 3 1,2ts which is quieter and a bit smoother as you would expect, but it's not as much fun. It's been serviced twice now and except for new discs and pads it's been problem free. I was going to sell it next year and buy a new Kia Rio but I think I'll hang on to it for a while longer now :)   

Well after driving the silver Fabia we test drove a Seat Ibiza 1.4 SE in gunmetal grey and it was this that she fell in love with and is buying. Virtually the same car as we know but no Skoda for now, although I do admire Superb estates......

Thanks everyone!