New Rider Bike Advice

JohnRS

A couple of things I'd recommend;

Firstly is buying your gear before you start to ride. I did and as I started lessons I got used to it and it helped to feel more comfortable when i started riding my own bike.

Secondly do your theory before your CBT, it means you can in theory (no pun intended) smash through your lessons with nothing holding you back. You'd be surprised at how many people fail it!

Thirdly, choose carefully who you learn to ride with, there's loads around me and some are absolutely useless. When i was looking for places to learn i emailed my local Rospa school asking if they had any tutors who also teach, they came back with a couple, one of whom i ultimately ended up learning with. Now your Mod 2 test is nothing like advance riding but being taught by someone who's advanced riding qualified IMO can offer that little bit more than someone who isn't. They were also based close to the test centre so all of my lessons were essentially on test route roads. You may not think this makes much of a difference but it helped me loads. I work with a guy who learnt to ride in Sunderland and the first time he rode in Newcastle/Gateshead was on his test day. He failed at a notorious junction, and went on to fail several times after this, whereas on my second lesson I was taken to the same junction, we stopped up the road got off and walked down to discuss it. This helped loads and in fact we done it a few tines on failure hot spots, not to say "do x, y and z to pass" but to discuss why it was difficult and how to mitigate the difficulties. OI'm going off on a tangent but one of the tutors had a drone and he'd been out and taken photos of the problem area's and we sat and went through some problem roundabouts where people fail because of road position. Little things like that makes you approach things differently which is needed on a bike.  

I ended up going for a Versys 1000 from a dealer in Bately. There wasn't anything local that offered decent value for money. In fact the GT i ended up with was a month or so old and had 400 miles on and i paid less than local dealers had a year old+ lower spec models with thousands of miles. I'm of similar stature to you and glad i went for something tall; I learnt to ride on Honda NC750S' and they were tiny and to be honest felt underpowered. My honest advice if looking for a Versys is go for the 1000, you get so much more bike thank the 650. It has a setting for 75% power if it's power putting you off but it isn't super fast anyway, I haven't felt overwhelmed by the power. Insurance etc. wasn't much more either. I'm 6'3 ish and can stand flat footed just above the seat on the Versys so it's pretty much bang on.

As mentioned above I struggled to get anyone to agree to a test ride, actually nobody did so I settled for sitting on them which gave a good feel for the size and position. I agree with CWARD though don't settle for one too early as all of the big manufactures have an adventure style of bike to offer with varying levels of spec and price.  It just happened the Versys offered what i wanted within the price range I had. 

I wasnt sure i liked the look of the 900 for ages tbh. Until i started test riding and it rode like nothin else in the class for me. The engines stronger than the trumpet 800 and its really light and flickable for what it is. However, wind protection is a problem with them, they're noisey because of buffeting off the screen and unless you put a barn door screen on it theres not much you can do. One of the reasons i sold it. 

A mate has the 700. He came from an MT10 and a Multistrada before that. He loves it. Its cheap, cheerful, mega on fuel. Goes all over europe on it. Doesnt struggle with wind protection on that. Super easy to ride too. 

Only reason for spoked is they can be trued if damaged off-road but they had to the cost and a sod to clean. 

J&S have expanded since I was last their as they just did Suzuki and Kymco when I last went, must have been longer than I thought. 

The Truimph Tiger 800 are a good looking bike especially the XR but probably too new at the moment for a good priced second hand. I’m sure there is an 800 Tiger owner on here. 

3 minutes ago, JohnRS said:

A couple of things I'd recommend;

Firstly is buying your gear before you start to ride. I did and as I started lessons I got used to it and it helped to feel more comfortable when i started riding my own bike.

Ive already been looking at this as I had the same thought

Secondly do your theory before your CBT, it means you can in theory (no pun intended) smash through your lessons with nothing holding you back. You'd be surprised at how many people fail it!

Im more bothered about the Hazard Perception bit as it isnt something i had to do in 2001 when i passed my car test...

Thirdly, choose carefully who you learn to ride with, there's loads around me and some are absolutely useless. When i was looking for places to learn i emailed my local Rospa school asking if they had any tutors who also teach, they came back with a couple, one of whom i ultimately ended up learning with. Now your Mod 2 test is nothing like advance riding but being taught by someone who's advanced riding qualified IMO can offer that little bit more than someone who isn't. They were also based close to the test centre so all of my lessons were essentially on test route roads.

I dont have much option as they dont do M/C tests at Doncaster so closest is either Rotherham or Scunthorpe.

So Ill be on unfamiliar roads anyway

You may not think this makes much of a difference but it helped me loads. I work with a guy who learnt to ride in Sunderland and the first time he rode in Newcastle/Gateshead was on his test day. He failed at a notorious junction, and went on to fail several times after this, whereas on my second lesson I was taken to the same junction, we stopped up the road got off and walked down to discuss it. This helped loads and in fact we done it a few tines on failure hot spots, not to say "do x, y and z to pass" but to discuss why it was difficult and how to mitigate the difficulties. OI'm going off on a tangent but one of the tutors had a drone and he'd been out and taken photos of the problem area's and we sat and went through some problem roundabouts where people fail because of road position. Little things like that makes you approach things differently which is needed on a bike.  

I ended up going for a Versys 1000 from a dealer in Bately. There wasn't anything local that offered decent value for money. In fact the GT i ended up with was a month or so old and had 400 miles on and i paid less than local dealers had a year old+ lower spec models with thousands of miles. I'm of similar stature to you and glad i went for something tall; I learnt to ride on Honda NC750S' and they were tiny and to be honest felt underpowered. My honest advice if looking for a Versys is go for the 1000, you get so much more bike thank the 650. It has a setting for 75% power if it's power putting you off but it isn't super fast anyway, I haven't felt overwhelmed by the power. Insurance etc. wasn't much more either. I'm 6'3 ish and can stand flat footed just above the seat on the Versys so it's pretty much bang on.

I do fancy a 1000 but it was price more than anything althoughni know they currently have a 0% offer on new bikes but didnt really think brand new would be great when i dropped it...

As mentioned above I struggled to get anyone to agree to a test ride

I will see if i get that experience when i ask forna test ride...

I agree with CWARD though don't settle for one too early as all of the big manufactures have an adventure style of bike to offer with varying levels of spec and price.

Definitely havent decided 100% yet :-)

1 minute ago, CWARD said:

@JohnRS I assume you got your bike from Autorama in Batley. Are you local to that area?

Yes, and no. I live in Newcastle, so it was about 100 miles back. I spoke to loads of dealers, as far away as Worthing and they were the most helpful and offered the best price in the end. 

I’m too far from them so know them well. My cousin has been buying his from their too even though he’s down Derby way. They’re all part of Padgett's and you get all dealers for the Japanese bikes on that one road. 

14 minutes ago, hwr1983 said:

Ive already been looking at this as I had the same thought

Im more bothered about the Hazard Perception bit as it isnt something i had to do in 2001 when i passed my car test...

That is the hardest part, I downloaded the DVSA app and it helped. I just went to the local library and got some theory books - make sure you get a motorcycle one as they have motorcycle specific questions. 

I dont have much option as they dont do M/C tests at Doncaster so closest is either Rotherham or Scunthorpe.

So Ill be on unfamiliar roads anyway

Thats unfortunate, they used to publish test routes but I don't think they do anymore! 

I do fancy a 1000 but it was price more than anything althoughni know they currently have a 0% offer on new bikes but didnt really think brand new would be great when i dropped it...

Good point, they were about £3 - £4k more than the 650 at the time. 

I will see if i get that experience when i ask forna test ride...

Definitely havent decided 100% yet :-)

Sad I know, but i made a spreadsheet with a load of models, new/used and various specs then whittled them down from there. 

6 minutes ago, CWARD said:

I’m too far from them so know them well. My cousin has been buying his from their too even though he’s down Derby way. They’re all part of Padgett's and you get all dealers for the Japanese bikes on that one road. 

I'd go back and I'm even considering taking it for major servicing too as the dealers local aren't great. I love the look of the H2 and if insurance allows in a couple of years I'm tempted to see what they'd give P/X off mine for one. 

8 minutes ago, JohnRS said:

I'd go back and I'm even considering taking it for major servicing too as the dealers local aren't great. I love the look of the H2 and if insurance allows in a couple of years I'm tempted to see what they'd give P/X off mine for one. 

You’re keen :D 

1 hour ago, CWARD said:

H2 isn’t my mind of bike but they’re certainly a looker. 

Look great, unbeatable in the pub bragging contest. No doubt great to ride on a track but in real life, probably a pain to live with, i.e. stop it being stolen. 

9 minutes ago, Redboy said:

Look great, unbeatable in the pub bragging contest. No doubt great to ride on a track but in real life, probably a pain to live with, i.e. stop it being stolen. 

Bikes being stolen is a pain be it an H2 or Sym moped. Police rarely investigate it and just give you a crime number for your insurance. 

Edited by CWARD

15 minutes ago, Redboy said:

Tbh. Probably completely pointless on the road anyway. Able to apply so little of it and it wont start working until well into triple figures id guess :D  

They do look awesome though. 

H2SX is abit more useful maybe :D