will these tyres work on my yeti ok or not?

Urban-Kodiaq

On 24/11/2017 at 22:08, Ryeman said:

Wouldn’t it create a constant TPM warning?.

Just reset the TPM after fitting and setting the tyre pressures by pushing and holding the button on the dash. It's that simple.

I fitted 18 inch wheels to my yeti and had no problems.  The wheels rotate less for speed/distance which marginally reduced the speed readout compared to GPS.  Since the speedo is very optimistic anyway this is not an issue. As long as the wheel / tyres are the same size and wear is reasonably balanced, there will be no issue with tyre pressure monitoring or differential locks etc.  I believe both VW and Audi offer larger wheels / tyres on their equivalent models, effectively on the same chassis.  I think Skoda do not offer them as fashion or 'bling' wheels do not fit with their market position for the Yeti as a utility/'Ronseal' vehicle.  17" are cheaper and do all that they require.

Use what you have.

It might be instructive to have a look at the section of the Yeti owner's manual regarding the use of snow chains.  This states that, when using snow chains on the front wheels, the maximum tyre size that can be used is 205/50R17, which is 0.8" smaller in diameter than the OEM 225/50R17.  The manual also states that chains with links no larger than 12mm should be used.  12mm chain links will add an inch to the effective rotational 'envelope' of the tyre, meaning that a 205/50R17 will have the same effective diameter as the 225/50R17.  Only on the rear wheels does the manual state that 12mm link chains can be used with the 225/50R17 tyre.  I assume that this is because the rear wheels have a smaller overall 'envelope' than the front wheels because they only rotate around their axle, and go up and down with the suspension; the front wheels have to steer as well.

That suggests to me that Skoda believes that the clearance within the front wheel arch would become marginal with an overall wheel diameter greater than the standard 225/50R17 tyre.  The 225/50R18 that the OP wants to use is a whole inch bigger than the R17 - effectively the same diameter as the R17 with 12mm link snow chains on, which the manual rules out.

They fit perfectly, the Wheels & Type Approved by VW Group, the  tyres are E marked and the correct load / speed rating.

If worried declare a Mod with your Insurer, the Wheels and Tyres are legal, have clearance, and if the Insurer says we only cover standard vehicles, 

then use another insurer.

Not like it is difficult, not like fitting Air Bag Suspension that Skoda Never Type Approved, or a 'Emergency Services Suspension package' 

as Skoda will fit for Emergency Service / Fleet Users, that was never a Factory Fit / Type Approved on a Octavia Scout.

Not like fitting an Audi TTRS Engine, maybe Wilwood Brakes, Magnesium Wheels  etc, as Skoda CZ never Type Approved or sold a Yeti with fitted.

Edited by AwaoffSki

I'm pretty certain that my Yeti is not type-approved to run 18" wheels, or 225/50 R18 tyres.  I say this because I have a copy of the EU Certificate of Conformity for the vehicle, and neither that wheel size nor that tyre size are listed on it.  The 16" wheels and 205/55R16 tyres I have on it are listed.

As others have pointed out, just because a component is type-approved for use on one vehicle in a manufacturer's range, that cannot possibly mean that that component is type-approved for every vehicle that they make.  That would be ridiculous.

27 minutes ago, ejstubbs said:

I'm pretty certain that my Yeti is not type-approved to run 18" wheels, or 225/50 R18 tyres.  I say this because I have a copy of the EU Certificate of Conformity for the vehicle, and neither that wheel size nor that tyre size are listed on it.  The 16" wheels and 205/55R16 tyres I have on it are listed.

As others have pointed out, just because a component is type-approved for use on one vehicle in a manufacturer's range, that cannot possibly mean that that component is type-approved for every vehicle that they make.  That would be ridiculous.

Exactly.
It doesn't matter what a similar manufacturer, (i.e. any VAG) type approves, each Type Approval Certificate is specific to that vehicle and that vehicle only. As you correctly state the Yeti is only Type Approved for 16" or 17" wheels and tyres, and there is a list of the approved tyre sizes elsehwere on this forum.
The fact that some people will fit sizes that are not Approved is up to them, however it must be pointed out that doing so without the written permission of their insurer may lead to problems in the event of an "incident" or if stopped by a well-informed Police examiner. And with the current clamping down on "modified" vehicles at MOT time there is also the possiblity of a failure then.

?

What clamping down on Modified Vehicles and where.?  Is this some new UK MOT regulations?

Do you mean the current UK MOT checks or no checks on DPF or Cat removals?

As to Modified vehicle checks that will be on the Safety of the vehicle presented, or are there some specific things 'being clamped down on'? 

• Like 2