2.0 TDI 150hp Revo st.1/Steinbauer, anyone?

Hi there!

Has anyone remapped 2.0 TDI 150 hp 340nm with Revo stage 1?

In their site it's been stated that older 320nm has software ready but new 340nm is in Development pending state.

I'm thinking of using it (although it will break the warranty). Anyway thinking of the site effects (plan to use my car till 7th year approximatelly and around 100k km. Things like DPF, clutch, turbo excessive use do bother me.

Another option is similar output from Steinbauer power box (more expensive, twice as much approx.).

Not sure I can understand why it's more expensive, what will be different in output and which one will be safer to the components.

Knowledge and advices are welcome

Edited by TTodorov

If your happy to break the warranty then go for a remap. Tuning boxes can produce great results but they will never be as good as a good map. Tuning boxes have only become popular because of in-warranty tuning.

Ive had both tuning boxes and remaps (even on the same car), and overall taking into top end power, mid range, low end torque, my opinion is:

Tuning box = good

Remap = great

Diesel do respond better to the boxes than the petrols

• Thanks 1

The difference in price is that the box can be removed, sold on etc. So a premium is added for that.

The Map can't.

I've had 2 boxes and 5 maps on different cars.  The maps are far superior.

Edited by Sheldon.Cooper
  • Thanks 1

@Gerrycan, yes, true. Unfortunatelly still battling ;)

@xpower, still considering warranty vs better remap. Thanks!

@vtec to vrs!, thanks! Can you share where the difference was. Mids, high revs, lows? Any issues as outcome?

@Sheldon.Cooper, right. Never thought of the selling point. Good one, thanks! How would you describe the difference?

Edited by TTodorov

2 hours ago, TTodorov said:

@Gerrycan, yes, true. Unfortunatelly still battling ;)

@xpower, still considering warranty vs better remap. Thanks!

@vtec to vrs!, thanks! Can you share where the difference was. Mids, high revs, lows? Any issues as outcome?

@Sheldon.Cooper, right. Never thought of the selling point. Good one, thanks! How would you describe the difference?

It totally depends on which program you use on the box, as it’s set up with 3 different maps depending on what you want.

The one I used just made the car feel stronger all the way through the RPMs, it was decently quick through the gears. 

• Thanks 1

The boxes come with adjustable maps but I always had that niggly feeling that all it was doing was fooling the ECU whereas a remap is the real map in the ECU working.

The difference is about 10% more from a remap.

Very very important that you pick a reputable tuner of which you're choices are good so no problem there.

You are on a slippery slope though.... after it's been updated you'll find yourself wanting even more in a few months time!

• Thanks 1