Petrol Engine noise

alan100

The engine in my car is very noisy when accelerating and reaching around 3000 revs, it sounds like a cross between no air filter and noisy engine bearings but the car is quiet when started from cold and when the revs are kept below around 2500 revs and when cruising.

its not like any engine noise i have heard before and i am sure it is not normal but the car drives fine.

has anyone got any ideas what it could be?

Thanks Alan.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mine has started to have such a sound, yet it drives fine too. Mine is an 2010, 1.2Tsi 77Kw with 114.000Km on clock.

It is like a hissing or as you said bad bearing sound but mine starts as soon as the engine fires up and keep following engine's revs as they go up or down. No oil leak, no G12++  leak no any dash lights on.

Any ideas are welcome and appreciated.

The noise doesn't appear to be normal on the roomster due to a lack of other owner experience,

the noise is very similar to what i had previously on a couple of cars, a v6 Omega and a v6 Galaxy, it turned out to be a blocked cat converter and the noise was the exhaust gases backing up in the cylinders and strangling the engine  and on the Galaxy actually blew the top of the air cleaner.

i am now pretty sure it is the cat converter and will have to do a couple of checks... starting with removing the air filter...

I had a check on Ebay and it appears that my 1.6 16v petrol has 2 cats, so has anyone any experience of which cat is likely to be blocked if any and is it a common problem on the petrol engine?

Any input would be welcome thanks Alan

• 2 weeks later...

An update to my noise...

I went to my off the grid service man and he told me that it can be from the pulleys system of alternator - a/c compressor - water pump circuit. Then he suggested to unmount the poly-v belt (serpantine) and check each of pulleys for noise. Then in case of alternator pulley case or a/c compressor pulley parts had to be delivered to an electrician and so on.

After all these I went my self to an electrician that he grabbed a long metal bar and told me to step on the accelerator pedal while he was atteching that metal bar from one side to the engine and the other side on his ear. Then he told me that my water pump is played up.

The big think is that Skoda dealership asked 190 euros for the pump itself while Seat dealership asked 98 euros for the pump itself. Of course they told me that their pump is an rebuilted OEM one but comes with two year warranty and the obligation from my side to give them my faulty one. Both dealerships asked 60 to 70 euros plus G13 cost plus VAT for the labor.

• Like 1

The noise my car had is now disappeared right after the water pump had been replaced. 

The noise was either like gravel in a washing machine, or like a totally worn pulley. 

The problem was at the main axis of the pump that went loose thus making the noise. Thankfully no water leak or engine overheating occured. 

Pump was replaced by local Seat dealer as it was 100 plus euros cheaper than Skoda was. Total cost was 163 euros. 98 euros for the pump and 65 euros for the replacement.

The part number of the pump is

03F 121 004 EX

Edited by stratosg
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

The 1.2 tsi engine is not quiet under acceleration and produces a pleasant gruff roar. I can only assume it is air induction noise. Normal cruising it is very quiet.  Just noticed you have the 1.6 so may be different.

Edited by edbostan