Budget (Boto) Tyres

Granite66

So I'm 30 months into my 62 plate VRS. Car had Yokohamas on it when I got it (at 22,000 miles), and changed all 4 corners around 30k, and then put Boto's on the front at 50k as I'd had three pothole damages in a year (due to Aberdeen bypass being built, roads even worse than usual) so was fed up of the £140 a time carnage.

Anyway, far from moaning about my £60 tyres, I've found them to be grippier than my Yokohamas, and have let me throw the car around a bit more after initially finding myself a bit twitchy after switching from a Focus ST on the Y's they came with.

So, Chinese tyres not as bad as they're made out to be? 

• Like 1

Tried them in the wet yet?  I had some Di-yeug Ditchfinders on an old vRS and it gripped well in the dry but was like driving on ice when it was wet!!

8 minutes ago, mk4gtiturbo said:

Tried them in the wet yet?  I had some Di-yeug Ditchfinders on an old vRS and it gripped well in the dry but was like driving on ice when it was wet!!

Aye, had them about a year, and found them better than the Yokos in all conditions. 

http://botodirect.co.uk 

But then the Yokohamas might have not been that great, because all of them are not.

I have All Terrain ones that are excellent as used on the Ariel Nomad for road use, but had Parada that were terrible.

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Thanks 1

I'm glad your in Aberdeen. Maybe you throwing your car around more won't affect my insurance premium being in the midlands.

I need to learn to bite my tongue.

• Confused 1

KenONeiI, Do you you rate them then?

?

Get them into their working range.

They might be performance summer tyres, but are you really supposed to get your 'Skyline' running a few laps of a town to get your tyres up to heat before driving someplace and then head home if there is a bit of rain falls?

I had them on a S60 Volvo i bought. They were very poor, they were replaced PDQ.

As to on Fabia Mk2 vRS, they were quite a common fitment for some to use, and they did not work well.

As to weight, heat etc, they were fitting 205/40 R17 in the correct Speed & Load rating you would believe.

Hot summers would not be the issue, cold and wet summers, autumns, winters and springs might well be.

Yokohama Parada Spec-2 in a 205/40 R 17 are not for Skylines or Supra IV's. 

and the 225/45 R 17's i had on were just rather poor tyres for driving on normal roads on a 200 bhp front wheel drive saloon.

Edited by AwaoffSki

3 hours ago, Tilt said:

I'm glad your in Aberdeen. Maybe you throwing your car around more won't affect my insurance premium being in the midlands.

I need to learn to bite my tongue.

Yeah, AB postcode is the lowest premiums in the uk. 

I also don't fall for the winter tyre scam that so many in england who hardly ever even see snow seem to. 

Driving for 34 years and never had a crash. 

Go figure eh? 

I should probably bite my tongue. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Well about to do all 4 corners again, and like mobile phones (just bought a Huawei a month ago), it seems that the Chinese are sorting out their tyres too, the early days horror stories around Chinese rubber have gone (Tilt excepted) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Old thread but yeah when I bought my superb Greenline 3 it had 3 (:dull:) Boto Genesys 228 tyres fitted. They have been honestly fantastic so far. They spin a touch if I'm pulling away in the wet on a steepish hill from stationary but we're great in the snow this winter. I drive like a grandad so dry is never a problem. After 10k they still seem like they have 6 or so 7mm left on them. Unless I'm particularly flush when it comes to replace, I may just go for them again....

• Like 1

Funny this bumping as I replaced all 4 yesterday. Unfortunately couldn;t get the Boto's anymore, have gone for Maxxis this time instead. Fair bit of snow today and I was up before gritters and they were coping admirably, so I have high hopes of being as good as the Botos. 20k on the fronts in the end, if anyone finds them, they're great value.