Failed egr

Despite not having had the EA189 emissions fix on my 2.0 tdi  Octavia , my car went into limp mode yesterday and  came up with a P0403 exhaust gas recirculation "A' control circuit fault so can't even claim through the TBM.
Contacted my local Skoda service centre who have been really good by adhering to my wishes not to have the  "ix" applied, they did wonder if I could get  a goodwill gesture but with my car being over 5 years old but they thought it highly unlikely.
 They are going to going to provide diagnostics free of charge next week.
My car has only done  51000 miles and has  full Skoda  service history and as far as I am concerned this is  a premature failure. 
What do you think are my  chances of getting a goodwill gesture because this is a known faulty part?

Edited by millser

Well Skoda UK's attitude to goodwill seems to be pretty non existent after 5 years but see what they come back with after inspecting. I haven't read anything specific with the EGR apart from there being some goodwill possible after the "fix".....

Your strongest consumer rights are actually against the selling dealer, which normally extend to 6 years in England, think it is slightly different in Scotland.  

However, you have to prove it is not wear and tear which may require some engineering type reports and if the dealer refuses to engage, sometime lodging court documents or even attending.

Edited by TheClient

Word of advice, ensure any dealings between you and your dealer/SUK is in a printable format.

In my last dealings with SUKCS  I broke  one of my Cardinal Rules; No Paper, No Trail. 

SUKCS advisor agreed to honour a 'goodwill gesture' over the phone, but reneged on it. Nothing in 'writing', my word against his. 

JFI, my EGR Cooler was replaced last year. I had detected a weird hissing noise from the engine bay, and a chemical/fumey smell in the cabin. Two Skoda dealerships gave the vehicle the all clear after I asked them to check it out. I contacted my extended warranty company who sent out an engineer who diagnosed a failed/leaking EGR Cooler and failed/leaking differential (which the dealerships had also given the all clear, even though it had been picked up on the MoT!) 

At the time my vehicle was 6 years old and with approximately 80k on the clock with a full Škoda service history. 

Best wishes in getting this issue resolved.