Wheel alignment

laurencemchenry

Update got to dealer on sat straight up on ramp mech came back with track rod end bent like banana but didn't look like any other damage phew. £40 part few hours labour as they might have to reset the radar as well.  Tip send the money buy 16" rims and winter tyres.

• 2 months later...
On 12/10/2017 at 21:21, laurencemchenry said:

Update got to dealer on sat straight up on ramp mech came back with track rod end bent like banana but didn't look like any other damage phew. £40 part few hours labour as they might have to reset the radar as well.  Tip send the money buy 16" rims and winter tyres.

I can't fit 16" on my Superb, minimal is 17". I guess its because of big break rotors/calipers. I would instead recommend driving safer and if it can be avoided in snow :=)...

9 minutes ago, JackySi said:

I can't fit 16" on my Superb, minimal is 17". I guess its because of big break rotors/calipers. I would instead recommend driving safer and if it can be avoided in snow :=)...

I would check that info as when I started this thread 2 ½ years ago even the 190 TDi (140kw) could use 16s, it was only the 2 litre petrol (both the 220 and 280) that needed 17s.

I have run 17s on my 190 and there was loads of room between the callipers and inside of the rims, certainly enough to drop down the 16s.

18 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

I would check that info as when I started this thread 2 ½ years ago even the 190 TDi (140kw) could use 16s, it was only the 2 litre petrol (both the 220 and 280) that needed 17s.

I have run 17s on my 190 and there was loads of room between the callipers and inside of the rims, certainly enough to drop down the 16s.

Didn't say its not possible (physically). But on my MY18 in manual and the registration paper (homologation) it says minimum is 17" 215. I just assumed that i was because of larger brakes. I would never put 16" on my car anyway love the way 18 looks and handles. I don't see any issues in snow this year (Slovenia is pretty snowy ^^ this year). I do have to drive carefully ofc (even with very  good winter tires and good car you can still spin out or be unable to stop (ice)), but we have snow like 3 weeks now. Other than that roads were normal so having 5 months 16" for 1 month of snow sounds crazy to me. I just switch tires on my 18" winter/summer.

About the curbs, if you hit it, you can do much more damage than just rims... So for that specific reason i don't find changing rims worth/smart investment. However cost wise its probably cheaper yes.  But why buy superb if you're looking to cut corners with tires (the most important safety part of the car)?

Of course, every one has its own reasons. That's just my way of thinking ^^