Kenwood Nav retrofit - guide?

M7R

Anyone have a guide how to fit the Kenwood / Garmin nav unit? The GVN-MIB1 one unit? I’ve got one coming next week to give me something to do over Christmas and a heads up on what needs to be removed would be good. 

Cheers

• 2 months later...

if anyone else is looking to fit this it is pretty easy, I used these instructions as a guide: http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/files/file/car/uk/Volkswagen-MK7-Golf-instructions.pdf

Take note on the rear camera settings, I missed that and assumed that being supplied by a skoda dealer it would be set right but it wasn't, meaning each time I went to reverse I got a blank screen.

Also don't bother with the traffic aerial that is supplied, I got no traffic in the last 2 months since fitting, even in towns etc, however there is a booster that taps into the OE FM aerial and takes a feed off that for the traffic. the dealer part number is ZGB-000-035-560, it was £35 or so from TPS, so will be a little more from a dealer but worth it's weight in gold! as soon as I plugged it in I had traffic within 1 min, and it has never dropped out since.

• Thanks 1

On 10/12/2017 at 10:06, M7R said:

Anyone have a guide how to fit the Kenwood / Garmin nav unit? The GVN-MIB1 one unit? I’ve got one coming next week to give me something to do over Christmas and a heads up on what needs to be removed would be good. 

Cheers

How much did you pay as i am interested in one for my vrs if the price is right !

I picked mine up from a dealer down in Plymouth I think who was selling off old stock on ebay, I paid £330 or there abouts inc delivery and the maps were the original 2015.

one tip I would give is on the unit where there is a flap to access the SD card and people use a card extender next to it is a mini USB port (usb C I think but i could be wrong) either way I had a spare lead, use this with the Garmin express software and POI loader software on a laptop. It’s far far easier for adding the pocket GPS speed camera POI and doing updates inc the maps (not done mine yet but the Garmin update says it’s about £60 to update them I think). I have also added new cars to mine via the Garmin express software and you should be able to add new voices etc. 

• 3 years later...