The joys of remapping - stage 1

Scoskoda

Everyone,

Although we have had previous topics covering remapping, I thought Briskodian's might like to read and comment on this posting.

Recently I had a great experience - I finally took the decision to have a remap on my trusty steed.

As a naturally cautious type of bloke, I have always found it hard to interfere with a car that has served me well and does more or less what I need without modification (Eibachs, and that's about it). After much research over a few months (beware lots of outrageous claims out there) I found this company 'Pendle Performance' based in Barnoldswick, Lancashire. http://www.pendleperformance.com/index.php They offered as I mentioned before in a previous posting, everything I wanted in a remap for improving a road car.

The icing on the cake was that Pendle had a local agent called 'Collins of Probus Ltd' based near Truro in Cornwall, 01872 520654 http://collinsofprobus.com/content/is which is about 6 miles from my home. I called into their garage in September 2017 and met Gary and Neil Collins. Gary is the man for the ECU remapping. He spoke to me at length with all the pros and cons on remapping my particular/specific car (DSG box etc). Coincidentally Gary's Mum runs a 2010 Fabia 1.4VRS and he said he would remap his Mum's car as a test before my car. (What a great offer for me as a cautious owner) Anyway Gary called me a week later saying he had given his Mums car a good run on their Maha LPS 3000 Dyno and felt that the 'After print outs' results should/could  be better. He asked if I could delay until end November whilst he work with Pendle to improve the software. My thoughts were, this is a truly bespoke remap that I am getting here and was very pleased to wait.

I think it is important to mention that the guys at Collins are very much into performance motorbikes and cars - not just servicing and MOT's. 

I took my car in on the 6th December with everything spot on with the car. Gary was happy to allow me to hang around watching with camera - the entire process.
Suffice to say the professionalism was tremendous - before and after test drives, before and after printouts, everything you could imagine to ensure I was completely happy. I even mentioned my annoyance with the double click to open all doors whilst chatting. Gary deactivated this in the ECU leaving just one click to open all doors.

My 6 mile drive home took me 3 hours as I drove around Cornwall doing absolutely outrageous things with my little Fabia - it was just brilliant - Oh the torque - its enough to die for.

Pendle have agents throughout the Country - but I have no hesitation in suggesting - bring your car plus the family for a couple of days hols in sunny Cornwall - pop the car into Gary for about 3-4 hours and Bob's your uncle. Your drive back up north will be unforgettable.

Yes, I appreciate it is early days since my remap - the car is running like a dream.

Everyone - don't hesitate - just do it - you will be very, very happy.

No I do not get commission - just a happy bunny!!

207.1 BHP
320.3 Nm

Cheers

N6 TWE at Collin's (2).jpg

IMG_20171206_110604 (2).jpg

• Like 2

Very nice! Collins are indeed very professional, they are about a 2 minute drive from my house as well :-)

They have done an MOT before for me on my track car and I'm going there soon for a wheel alignment etc. 

I wonder if they could remap a later CTHE Fabia vRS? 

I'll look out for your Fabia around Cornwall! Think I might have spotted it once or twice before.

Hi Furbytom,

I'm certain a remap on the CTHE engine will not be a problem.

If my memory serves me right the CTHE engine came into existence for the VRS - late 2012.

I understand with a combination of better quality parts together with lessons learned - on paper its a better and more reliable engine than the CAVE.

My CAVE has been excellent without any of the scary stories we get on Briskoda - oil has never been an issue

I think my car had an ECU update pre 2012 but I can't be sure. The CTHE model (2012 onwards) certainly would have a different MAP

I may be speaking slightly out of turn but I am pretty certain Gary Collins will let you test drive his Mum's VRS (CAVE) which was Pendle mapped - 208.4 BHP and 300 Nm

When you are having the wheel alignment done, talk to Gary. The brothers are into and enjoy track days - motorbikes as well.

Let me know how you get on.

It was a problem until last year, and like 3 different ECU's / Software were used on CAVE engine cars 2 different ECU's at least and Factory Software was used 2012-2013 then 2013-2014.

But now the Remaps are available for the CTHE, just maybe different with those pre summer 2013.

Fubiatom, 

what does yours dyno at as standard 190 bhp?

Edited by AwaoffSki

I am using Tesco momentum 99.

The gear I'm not sure - however I checked a vid I made of all the runs (all runs to big to upload vids on website - shame)

Looking at the speeds/RPM achieved and my knowledge of the car it would be 6th gear, but only just.

I looked at the link you put up and it was Furbytom - interesting.

The garage Furbytom used, RK Engineering for his runs - I would not touch with a bargepole. Although good knowledge on VAG they are very basic!!  As I recall I thought I had cracked my alloys just getting in (dirt track)

I agree the DSG software will be different on CTHE and CAVE. It did worry me how the DSG would be with the cave remap, however I think it is within safe parameters. Generally for the Fabia petrol anything over 210 BHP would be foolish.

I think I might be writing a load of tosh here - forgive me - suffice to say my little fabia is spot on.

• Like 1

The DSG is no issue even if supposedly the limit is 250Nm, they are good at 320Nm if you have a good DSG.

Was yours ever in for the Service Campaign '34F7' the Synthetic Oil Changed to Mineral & a Software update for the DSG?

Sticker in the boot showing if done and when.

Awaoffski

I have waited a long time to do this. Yonks ago I decided to put some sound deadening  in the boot under the spare wheel etc, - as I hated the horrible drumming sound.

The labels there would be covered up for ever!!! so I took some photos. After all this time they are useful - I hope - thank you. 

IMG_20171003_104733.jpg

• Like 1