Fabia Mk1 vRS track/tie rod end balljoint retaining nut

WayneH

I replaced the NSF rod end on my vRS today, and I think the dealer gave me the wrong balljoint retaining nut. The nut fitted, but needed a different size spanner to tighten (18mm, rather than 17mm which was required for the original that I removed) and it was a flanged nut unlike the one I removed. The part number of the nut I was given was N90808801. Can anyone confirm the correct part number for a track/tie rod end balljoint retaining nut for a Mk1 Fabia vRS?

Thanks in advance. :biggrin:

all the replacements i've used usually have different sizes to original. They usually bring out a new/revised part for the newer models which still fits the older cars just with a different design.

One other question: would you guys agree that the allen key fitting in the genuine track rod end is 5.5mm? If so, I am going to order a suitable socket. I found that 5mm was too small and 6mm was too big when I changed the TRE. 

1 hour ago, Wino said:

I think that's right. Bashing a 6mm one in there is a baaaad move. You can probably guess how I know.

Haha :biggrin:

Sometimes it's hard to tell, especially if they are rusted because they can be knackered.

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/12/2017 at 13:50, Wino said:

I think that's right. Bashing a 6mm one in there is a baaaad move. You can probably guess how I know.

I know, I did exactly that and ended up having to hacksaw the nut off. It was going well for a few turns of the wrench lol.  

I have got a big hacksaw though, so it did not take long to cut the old one off and I had a new nut, albeit not the correct locking type.:) 

I have just collected the correct locking type nut, N90321302, so just need to get hold of a 5.5mm allen key socket now and then I can replace the nut for the correct one!