internal misting

bollard

i am beginning to think that this model has a misting issue, ie a design fault, even with air con on and circulation set for external air

when i'm on my own there's no issue but full of people, even on a mind evening, it starts misting. not good, wasn't aware of any such problem with previous cars.

from a previous thread i understand other owners use moisure absorbing devices and coat the inside with a thin layer of washing up liquid, you should not have to do this surely.

8 hours ago, bollard said:

i am beginning to think that this model has a misting issue, ie a design fault, even with air con on and circulation set for external air

when i'm on my own there's no issue but full of people, even on a mind evening, it starts misting. not good, wasn't aware of any such problem with previous cars.

from a previous thread i understand other owners use moisure absorbing devices and coat the inside with a thin layer of washing up liquid, you should not have to do this surely.

I bought my car in April 2015 and had misting problems, consensus of opinion at the time was to keep the screen as clean as possible,use a bag of moisture absorbing crystals i keep mine on the dash though it slides round a bit. I did buy a set of Skoda rubber mats that keeps moisture from sinking into the carpets. If you have an auto button for the air conditioning use that as it also helps. Joe

auto button for the air conditioning?  - no i don't think so , it is a standard 1.2 Se Tsi petrol

somebody previously said that these cars are very good seals to keep out noise. i think that is true. shame that the air circulation wasn't upgraded to compensate.

Edited by bollard

There is something wrong with your air con if your car mists up with it turned on.

Unless your talking about in temperatures below 4-5 degrees in which case the air con will not function and so any car full of people would probably want to steam up.

Edited by SuperbTWM
  • Like 1

yep maybe there is something wrong but it's only 6 mths old - i'll ask that it be looked at when i take it in for a service although it's only really bad when four people are in the car for a while.

yes i realise that the air con needs to be on and set to the exterior air coming in as opposed to internal circulation :) but the system doesn't seem to be man enough to cope with 4 live peeps in the car without, as you say, opening a window or two. seems rather ungerman as there is that expectation that that kind of stuff would be well sorted to cope with the excellent door seals.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, AwaoffSki said:

No surprise is it, Fabia starts production, 1999, then a Mk2, Mk2 Face Lift, an All New 3rd Generation ans still the misting window issue never sorted out.

Simply Clever, if you never accept an issue no need  to fix it.

well  it don't seem to be sorted for sure, disappointing but once you know it's a problem then you can take steps to counteract the build up before it gets so bad that is dangerous i guess

i hate that 'Simply Clever,' tag that they roll out - it isn't that clever to have a mist issue

Edited by bollard

An Asda £1 moisture absorbing pack in the car and boot at least helps, and change that pollen filter since your car is a 'previously loved' one.

& this, as good as or even better than Fog-X or Clearscreen etc IMO,

astonish-anti-fog-glass-cleaner-695-p.jpg

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Thanks 1

Mine is nowhere as bad this winter - the car's 3rd winter. Not sure exactly why it's improved.  Gave windscreen a deep clean about 2 months ago, and also gave it a wipe of an anti-mist sponge thing that I happened across during the summer. And have given it a quick wipe again with a micro-fibre cloth, about two weeks ago.  The last two winters, I had to either, stay stopped to let it clear, or pull in and stop for a little while and let full-speed fan do it's thing.

Could it be that the plastics have done most of their de-gassing, or whatever it is they do ?

Were the mist-forming droplets attaching to a film of dust/dirt/chemicals on the screen?  

Odd that it's so much improved - it's like a "normal" car now !

11 minutes ago, Dithane said:

Mine is nowhere as bad this winter - the car's 3rd winter. Not sure exactly why it's improved.  Gave windscreen a deep clean about 2 months ago, and also gave it a wipe of an anti-mist sponge thing that I happened across during the summer. And have given it a quick wipe again with a micro-fibre cloth, about two weeks ago.  The last two winters, I had to either, stay stopped to let it clear, or pull in and stop for a little while and let full-speed fan do it's thing.

Could it be that the plastics have done most of their de-gassing, or whatever it is they do ?

Were the mist-forming droplets attaching to a film of dust/dirt/chemicals on the screen?  

Odd that it's so much improved - it's like a "normal" car now !

that's encourging - i can hardly remember now but we did have a period of exceptionally hot weather this year, maybe that dried out your car?

talking about remembering,  i once had a ford anglia that used to get misty inside, i think it turned out to be a leaking window rubber.

another thing, do you get the smell of washer cleaner when you give the windows a blast, i do - very strange.

11 minutes ago, bollard said:

that's encourging - i can hardly remember now but we did have a period of exceptionally hot weather this year, maybe that dried out your car?

talking about remembering,  i once had a ford anglia that used to get misty inside, i think it turned out to be a leaking window rubber.

another thing, do you get the smell of washer cleaner when you give the windows a blast, i do - very strange.

Yep - it's a mystery ! It was a reasonable summer alright  - but then previous two summers were OK enough too. I leave aircon on all of the time, so car should be dry enough inside.

Your Anglia story reminds me of a Mk2 Cortina I had, that had a "weepy" heater rad - as it got worse, it was often like a sauna in the car !!  Great gushes of steam coming out the windscreen vents !   I couldn't see the windscreen - let alone see through the windscreen.

The Fabia wasn't quite that bad!  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AwaoffSki said:

An Asda £1 moisture absorbing pack in the car and boot at least helps, and change that pollen filter since your car is a 'previously loved' one.

& this, as good as or even better than Fog-X or Clearscreen etc IMO,

astonish-anti-fog-glass-cleaner-695-p.jpg

thanks i will be getting myself both those items, much appreciated.