Haynes manual

Cube21

Hi guys, I now realise that Haynes haven't done a book for the Superb, so with that in mind, which model VW is the closest

In technical and matching terms do we think ??

I know quite a few bits of the Passat B5 fits the mk1 so thought about getting one of those manuals ???

Tia

Haynes just seem to do "spoof manuals" these days . Someone bought me "Haynes Explains Christmas" and "Haynes Explains The Home" for Christmas.

I must admit I've bought a Golf (2009-2012) Haynes that includes the 1.4tsi for my Superb II - not that I've needed it yet!

Edited by bigjohn

7 minutes ago, bigjohn said:

Haynes just seem to do "spoof manuals" these days . Someone bought me "Haynes Explains Christmas" and "Haynes Explains The Home" for Christmas.

I must admit I've bought a Golf (2009-2012) Haynes that includes the 1.4tsi for my Superb II - not that I've needed it yet!

Pmsl lol.

Funnily enough my son in law bought me the Haynes "how to paint and touch up your car" last Christmas, still not opened it !! Lol

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bigjohn said:

Probably the Passat 00-05 the best manual for the Superb I

Yeah I agree mate. B5 model. Hopefully the engine etc is the same set up ??

Cheers

Edited by Cube21
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Cube21 said:

Yeah I agree mate. B5 model. Hopefully the engine etc is the same set up ??

Cheers

More or less the similar running gear and vacuum controls (EGR, Turbo, anti shudder). The Passat can have the same issues as well (water ingress, front suspension etc...)

The Superb I 2.0 petrol was the original 8v engine from way back when but I think the 1.8 turbo was the same

Likewise the Superb I had a different 8v version of the 2.0pd engine (with horrible balancer shaft module/oil pump drive and DPF that used Eolys fluid)

The 1.9pd was the same great engine

Edited by bigjohn

On 12/31/2017 at 21:23, Cube21 said:

Cheers buddy.

Most confusing and odd car that I've ever owned !! Lol.

Bought my 2003 1.9pd100 at 18 months old and it lasted me 10 years and I passed it onto a friend with 164k miles on it - now done over 200k. It's still on it's original battery, clutch, exhaust

Points of note:-

1) On the 2L pd there is an oil pump/ balance module weak point. Worth checking but basically the drive chain/shaft struggles with the balace shafts and wears out. When this fails it also takes out drive to the oil pump with predictable results - Worth getting cheked whilst all well as there is an updated versioon

2) Unlike the 1.9pd the 2.0 pd has a DPF with an Eolys fluid "tank/bladder" - dealer fill - not to be confused with Ad Blue

3)Check under the carpets is DRY, especially passenger side front

4) Check for rust - these can rust but if caught early is easy to keep on top of. (clean & rust proof regularly wheelarches/ especially where they meet the sills front/read , front wings where the attach to the front bumper, number plate lights!)

5) Front suspension - you get the odd joint every couple of years with service/ MOT 

If I  could go back iin time and buy another newish one I would - great car. The biggest issue for me were the candles/headlights but you probably have the much better HiD with the Elegance.

Edited by bigjohn

Has anyone been daft enough like me to buy the downloadable workshop manual from electronic manuals online, I did and after all the spam it tries to put  on your computer and the add ons to partition your drive etc,i never got it to work and they will not refund me,all they say is whats the error message, the error was being daft enough to buy it.  I have 06 superb elegance 2.8 petrol auto,and want manual for wiring diagrams and cam belt change,any advice please.regards paul.

1 hour ago, helmut said:

I have 06 superb elegance 2.8 petrol auto,and want manual for wiring diagrams and cam belt change,any advice please.regards paul.

How about the US Passat Haynes :-

https://haynes.com/en-gb/volkswagen-vw-passat-1998-2005-audi-a4-18l-turbo-28l-v6-1996-2001-haynes-repair-manual-usa

Similar oiiy bits/layout/engine orientation/wiring/plumbing . There will be differences in emissions stuff and possibly safety

Edited by bigjohn