fabia mk2 1.6d brake disc problems

ive done 125 thousand miles in my 2010 fabia mk2 1.6 diesel and by the feel of things will soon need to fit new brake discs this will be the 4th set i will have fitted. They have all gone out of true that is a high runout reading when put on a guage. Has anybody had this problem. We are not heavy brakers.

I'm on my 3rd set of brake disks and pads on mine at 56000 miles. 1st set  changed at 18000 miles due to corrosion 2nd  set at 42000 miles due to corrosion. 

Brake disk and pads don't last as long as they used to.

Only use good quality discs and pads. Either genuine or top brands, ATE, Bosch are my preferred. Many places fit cheap carp. And make sure the calipers and properly cleaned before assembly.

Did you actually feel significant judder under braking (sign that discs were warped)?

Or have you been taking the same garages word for runout? Its common for dealers and other garages to up sell at every MOT. 80% worn, pitted, etc etc. In most cases its a gross exaggeration, often downright lie. Most of the time its impossible to see the inner disc surface without a total strip down. And actual measurements are extremely rare and almost never put in writing?

Excessive wear is often due to sticking calipers/pistons. A sure sign that the brakes have not been cleaned and serviced thoroughly. Also possible when fluid has not been changed in a long time.

Although kwikfit offer lifetime guarantee on brakes, I dont think it covers discs so they get round it by charging you for new (carp) discs.

Never seen discs last less than 75,000 miles on 5 cars we have.

Edited by xman

1 hour ago, xman said:

Only use good quality discs and pads. Either genuine or top brands, ATE, Bosch are my preferred. Many places fit cheap carp. And make sure the calipers and properly cleaned before assembly.

Did you actually feel significant judder under braking (sign that discs were warped)?

Or have you been taking the same garages word for runout? Its common for dealers and other garages to up sell at every MOT. 80% worn, pitted, etc etc. In most cases its a gross exaggeration, often downright lie. Most of the time its impossible to see the inner disc surface without a total strip down. And actual measurements are extremely rare and almost never put in writing?

Excessive wear is often due to sticking calipers/pistons. A sure sign that the brakes have not been cleaned and serviced thoroughly. Also possible when fluid has not been changed in a long time.

Although kwikfit offer lifetime guarantee on brakes, I dont think it covers discs so they get round it by charging you for new (carp) discs.

Never seen discs last less than 75,000 miles on 5 cars we have.

Mine were fitted at Skoda main dealer brake disks were warped started of as light judder then got progressively worse. The ones they fitted went the same way this time got an independent garage one where my friend works to fit better ones ! The ones Skoda use did not last long and cost me £475 front and rear this time only cost me £142 for front been fine since june. 

10 minutes ago, firefox2 said:

Mine were fitted at Skoda main dealer brake disks were warped started of as light judder then got progressively worse. The ones they fitted went the same way this time got an independent garage one where my friend works to fit better ones ! The ones Skoda use did not last long and cost me £475 front and rear this time only cost me £142 for front been fine since june. 

10 minutes ago, firefox2 said:

yes they definitely judder especially at speed pointing downhill

2 hours ago, firefox2 said:

I'm on my 3rd set of brake disks and pads on mine at 56000 miles. 1st set  changed at 18000 miles due to corrosion 2nd  set at 42000 miles due to corrosion. 

Brake disk and pads don't last as long as they used to.

think i need to invest in better make of discs and pads

15 minutes ago, firefox2 said:

Mine were fitted at Skoda main dealer brake disks were warped started of as light judder then got progressively worse. The ones they fitted went the same way

They probably fitted cheapo "fourplus" parts and I doubt they did a good job, i.e meticulous cleaning prep of hub, and clean/dress caliper/carrier and check/free pistons. Also I have seen overuse of brake grease that gets onto discs/pads and then forms a contaminant barrier that requires excessive force for braking and generating too much heat.

As an extreme example, the original ATE (a Continental brand) pads fitted on my Alhambra lasted 145,000 miles on my Alhambra (to 2.5 mm) , the discs were still perfectly flat and no significant grooving and were at 22.5mm (25mm new, 21mm min), quite remarkable.

I think part of the secret is to clean the disc surfaces with brake cleaner every year to remove contamination which is the reason that grooving occurs.

Edited by xman

I replaced mine at 65k... that was its first change in its life!! 2010 car no corrosion at all... :/ 

And a bit like Andrew, it gets abused on the B-Roads but not to the extent he goes too! Nutter ;) 

Edited by JGrindel