Timing belt and water pump replacement

New Year new problems. Got a coolant leak dripping from somewhere around the pulleys. I hope it is the water pump and not something else.

Car: 65 000 miles, 2013, 1.6 tdi. Never had the cam belt changed.

Question, how much does it cost to have the belt + water pump changed at an independent garage? 

Skoda does it for £490. I know it all depends on the garages but what should I expect?

Thank you all! 

I would have thought you'd get a few quid change from £400 but the closer it gets to the Skoda price, the better off it'll be to get it done by them. Two year warranty plus resale value of main dealer servicing! I know its recommended to get the water pump done along with the cam belt and the parts are not too expensive from Euro etc so it might even be worth getting the parts and using a reliable mechanic if it is better value though.

11 minutes ago, JGrindel said:

I went with Skoda at 55,000 miles! I think the cut off was 60,000 miles and you could start seeing issues... Might be wrong! Sometimes its just worth going with skoda and then like previous posts re sale is improved! 

VAG is not seeing a penny from me anymore, ever. I hope no more issues. 

54 minutes ago, Bertie90 said:

VAG is not seeing a penny from me anymore, ever. I hope no more issues. 

Cars a car... they all will have issues... my fiesta (02 plate) worth only 300 quid needed a new clutch and heater box... and thermostat all within 2 years!!  You just accept these issues with cars... that fix alone cost over 600 quid! My Skoda, cambelt replacement, DPF sensor and AC compressor... well over a grand to sort but thats car ownership!! No car will ever be problem free!! It sucks having issues but hay ho... thats life! 

32 minutes ago, JGrindel said:

Cars a car... they all will have issues... my fiesta (02 plate) worth only 300 quid needed a new clutch and heater box... and thermostat all within 2 years!!  You just accept these issues with cars... that fix alone cost over 600 quid! My Skoda, cambelt replacement, DPF sensor and AC compressor... well over a grand to sort but thats car ownership!! No car will ever be problem free!! It sucks having issues but hay ho... thats life! 

"if you don't stand for something you will fall for anything"

Believe me, there are cars out there that can be reliable, just not a german brand.

If your fed up with the car sell it... No ones stopping you! If its too unreliable for you, trade it in and get a different brand. You win some you loose some! All cars have their quirks. VW are known for odd cam-belt issues and chain issues plus a host of poor quality parts put into the cars. Hence why they fail but again. some VAG cars are better than others.

Once you have done your Servicing & Maintenance properly, replaced consumables and any wear and tear items you should be done spending until 

the next time.

The cars are not made of chocolate, just some OEM parts are.

Follow the Service Schedule / Guidelines and you should be fine, 

other than Water pumps, VW Group have never worked out where to source good ones since changing from Air Cooled, 

then Clutches, Chains, Tensioners, Belts, door seals. all a bit iffy,  badges, wheels, exhaust, easily corroding.

But not to worry, all that is in the past, 

now they are going Electric, so onwards and upwards....

34 minutes ago, AwaoffSki said:

now they are going Electric, so onwards and upwards....

this is what I've been driving since monday until my car is fixed.  puts smiles on peoples and my face :D extremely fun to drive and obviously electric (50mi range/ 50 mph max speed). Everyone at work said they wouldn't go near it. they all had a go and loved it. IMG_20180108_104022.thumb.jpg.f969ef50ab449a4f868171d4064dcd4c.jpgIMG-20180108-WA0005.thumb.jpg.c34768f08f0be836f361640e3d6d2425.jpg

• Like 2

I have driven one and it was fun.

My Electric Pedal Assist bike is limited to 15 mph, unless the Software is reset for Offroad then it is good for 28 mph, nice in town...

nippier than the Renault but then the range is just 25 miles.

DSCN3621.JPG.c4b154d92e0588aa25b0142b7ee7904f.JPG

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Like 1

How long is the belt safe to last in a low mileage car? Wifes 1.6tdi is a 63 reg, yet has only just reached 23k? I am reluctant to change on age alone when it is likely to still be in good condition.

Previous car went 60k miles and 7 years from new (1.9tdi Mk1 fabia), 40k of which was the first owner in 3 years, before I had it done.

Current car did 11k in first 6 months, then stood for 6 months until we bought it, and 12k since; and despite all the doom and gloom on here about low mileage diesel use, we have had no issues with the dpf or ever seen a warning light as the car does do regular 45 mile round trips once or twice a week which seems to clear dpf correctly.  (Car was a bargain price at the time as not a petrol, and no buyers due to high initial mileage.)

On 14/01/2018 at 17:14, kenfowler3966 said:

How long is the belt safe to last in a low mileage car? Wifes 1.6tdi is a 63 reg, yet has only just reached 23k? I am reluctant to change on age alone when it is likely to still be in good condition.

Previous car went 60k miles and 7 years from new (1.9tdi Mk1 fabia), 40k of which was the first owner in 3 years, before I had it done.

Current car did 11k in first 6 months, then stood for 6 months until we bought it, and 12k since; and despite all the doom and gloom on here about low mileage diesel use, we have had no issues with the dpf or ever seen a warning light as the car does do regular 45 mile round trips once or twice a week which seems to clear dpf correctly.  (Car was a bargain price at the time as not a petrol, and no buyers due to high initial mileage.)

Skoda recommends to change it after 5 years or 120 000 miles (whichever comes first). Mine lasted for 65 000 miles and i'm at the end of the 5 years so i believe the question is, how lucky are you? My advice is to change it as you never know. You can end up like me with a failed water pump and having to pour water in it every 30 min. If the coolant sensors didn't work I can't imagine what damage an overheated engine would cause. 

Edited by Bertie90
  • Like 1