TDi 90 vs 110, Which To Go For?

^ Yes hat does look to be a nice on but mileage still slightly higher than I'd like.... Ideally I'll be aiming for sub 150k, tough but do-able as they do turn up ;)

Also I'm in a bit of a predicament as I'll have to get the Passat advertised and sold before I get stuck into looking in earnest (Unless dealer cars turn up and decent price for PX is an option)

FWIW the Passat is a 2004 PD130 saloon with chrome, heated leather, all of the usual 'Highline' extras and 136k on the clock, I probably value it at somewhere around the £950 mark.

There are soooooo many other things id be worrying about with a mk1 than potentially sticky vanes :D

I drove my 2004 ALH from jan 2012 to Nov 2016 and never had an engine issue. 

Plenty other stuff broke, but that engine was solid. And it still going, i passed on the motorway last October..

4 minutes ago, JoeyEunos said:

Do tell...?

Door lock mech failure

Window regulators

gas strut mount for my hatch failed, propped it open with a stick..

Power steering pump seal failure (reason i traded mine as i couldnt face another bill id never see a return on)

Rear Window wiper motor/washer internal corrosion that can cause all sorts of strange electrical issues.

General age related stuff - shocks, springs, cts failure, rear brake shoe binding, 

Leaks - via sunroof if fitted, or torn door card membranes, blocked scuttle panel drains, door seals, boot hinges got someone iirc.

Aircon failure (if fitted)

No matter what you buy, these are old cars now, so old age issues are going to be common.. just a case of asking how many of the problems the last owner(s) have solved.. and then its down to luck :D

6 minutes ago, mac11irl said:

Door lock mech failure

Window regulators

gas strut mount for my hatch failed, propped it open with a stick..

Power steering pump seal failure (reason i traded mine as i couldnt face another bill id never see a return on)

Rear Window wiper motor/washer internal corrosion that can cause all sorts of strange electrical issues.

General age related stuff - shocks, springs, cts failure, rear brake shoe binding, 

Leaks - via sunroof if fitted, or torn door card membranes, blocked scuttle panel drains, door seals, boot hinges got someone iirc.

Aircon failure (if fitted)

No matter what you buy, these are old cars now, so old age issues are going to be common.. just a case of asking how many of the problems the last owner(s) have solved.. and then its down to luck :D

Cheers :) 

That doesn't seem like a bad list TBH, all of those issues are standard Mk4 Golf niggles.

As a serial Mk4 buyer and owner/tinkerer nothing there worries me much ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Literally everything a mk4 suffers these things suffer too...

Just bear in mind for shocks/springs a lit get sold as mk4 golf and octy. They atent the same though...

• Like 1

All the faults listed are common to the Mk1 yes, but unlike other makes repairs are relatively cheap to fix. At the end of the day they are getting on for 18 years old (depending on year) so you have to expect repairs. Mines an 02 and have to say apart from air con and alternator failure all repairs have been cheap as there’s  plenty of non oem parts available at a fraction of the cost. Just some examples of common faults, e.g. front window regs  (oem grade) £18 new rear window regs (oem grade) £16 new, front door locks (which I have 2 on mine) £26 new, rear door locks (which I have 1 on mine) £20 new. So there’s no worries in costs of repair. There’s also a plentiful second hand market for parts, of which I have many on mine that are perfectly usable. 

Edited by Guest
Spelling corrections