CarPlay Stopped Working

Hi there,

My Apple CarPlay no longer works my superb estate. Has always worked in the past, have always is the same USB cable, I have tried a reset of the system by holding it down for 10 seconds.  The first thing I tried was a different USB cable From my iPad. Both are genuine Apple charging cables. Neither of them work.

When you connect your phone, the screen briefly shows “reading USB device”, and then the screen just goes back to whatever it was doing before. 

Anyone got any ideas?. Thank you

Sounds silly, but check your Lightning port for fluff etc. A cocktail stick is good for picking it out.

There isn't much tolerance in the depth of the port and the contact area for the connector pins, even a small amount of detritus can prevent the pins making sufficient contact and, IME, CarPlay is extremely sensitive to this. I've had cables that work for power & data everywhere else but refuse to work reliably or at all in a car. It seems that CarPlay tries to do a fairly intensive handshake where timing and power tolerances are pretty tight and anything at all can throw it off and cause it to fail.

57 minutes ago, xman said:

Check your phone connected to another device such as a computer to eliminate phone/cable issues first.

Hi - thanks, yes it works with my MacBook/iTunes etc. Very odd. I don't miss it too much - prefer if it were Bluetooth. Just a bit annoying.

31 minutes ago, juux said:

Sounds silly, but check your Lightning port for fluff etc. A cocktail stick is good for picking it out.

There isn't much tolerance in the depth of the port and the contact area for the connector pins, even a small amount of detritus can prevent the pins making sufficient contact and, IME, CarPlay is extremely sensitive to this. I've had cables that work for power & data everywhere else but refuse to work reliably or at all in a car. It seems that CarPlay tries to do a fairly intensive handshake where timing and power tolerances are pretty tight and anything at all can throw it off and cause it to fail.

Tried my wife's iPhone and it works fine... Bugger.

Dug out more fluff than in Donald Trump speech out of my phone - works a charm.

Case closed. Thanks.

Edited by jimcallaghan

4 hours ago, jimcallaghan said:

Tried my wife's iPhone and it works fine... Bugger.

Dug out more fluff than in Donald Trump speech out of my phone - works a charm.

Case closed. Thanks.

Yeh I had same trouble with fluff ended up with new phone and then one of my kids showed me how to clean it with a cocktail stick bloody apple 

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/01/2018 at 16:22, juux said:

Superb answer, juux.  My iPhone has not been charging for a week on any of the leads I plugged in to it.  So today I had planned to go to an Appleshop and set what it would cost to get it fixed.  But late yesterday I saw this diagnosis and tried it out with a steel pin this morning and a humungeous hunk of fluff popped out.  It had me and my wife in kinks.  Many thanks for this excellent info.

PS I'm back here again as I'm about to take delivery of a new S3, after 5 ½ years with a S2 and never a single dropped beat.