USB cable/port placement (Newbie)

woodywyatt

Hi
Apologies if this has been asked before..
I've just purchased a Skoda Yet 2011 TSi, and I'm about to fit an aftermarket Touch Screen head-unit.
Where would be the easiest place to run the USB cable/port from the back of my new unit?
I'm a bit unsure of removing the glove box because of the passenger airbag switch.
Maybe the storage space by the gear lever?
I don't want it on the top of the dashboard.

Any help appreciated

20180113_113542.jpg

20180113_113551.jpg

Other option (also using the Neutric through-panel connector) that I used on my Octavia is the centre console/armrest. But I'm guessing if you've not got a lidded centre box you'll not have the armrest either

Jumbo_Neutrik.jpg.748a9f16f1cf7cfabf231356f757d5d0.jpg

Not massively; however thinking about it if you want to keep it simple, running the USB cable lose into the glovebox is probably the best bet.

Once you've got the trim off that surrounds the Swing and the heater controls and taken the Swing out, it should be fairly easy to route the USB cable into the box.

What you might struggle with is getting to the connections at the back of the radio without taking the glove box out. It's been a while since I did it

• Like 1

Can't you install it on the bank of switches below the radio - where the tyre pressure measurement switch  and parking "beeper" switch are sited? Should be easy to get to and that is where Skoda put the USB socket on models equipped with it. You might even be able to get the OEM fitting from Skoda to make a really neat job of it. 

12 minutes ago, Expatman said:

Can't you install it on the bank of switches below the radio - where the tyre pressure measurement switch  and parking "beeper" switch are sited? Should be easy to get to and that is where Skoda put the USB socket on models equipped with it. You might even be able to get the OEM fitting from Skoda to make a really neat job of it. 

On my car the USB and 3.5 sockets are on an additional module in the top of the small cubby hole below the switch panel.

Aftermarket headunit:  radio/display unit not originally supplied or fitted by the car manufacturer - unlike an OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) radio/display unit - which was.

Edited by muddyjim

33 minutes ago, Llanigraham said:

On my car the USB and 3.5 sockets are on an additional module in the top of the small cubby hole below the switch panel.

You are probably right - I will check tomorrow morning. 

Edited by Expatman

Looks suspiciously like one of those Chinese clones to me. They're all branded differently but the underlying units are churned out of the same factories in China with almost zero quality control and the cheapest components they can lay their hands on.

There have been many many cases of these Chinese units catching fire. I'd not let one anywhere near my car personally...