Reversing sensors

Last week when reversing with nothing behind the rear drivers side warning sensor started beeping and the warning bar changed colour to imminent danger checked the back of the car there were no other reversing bars showing. There was a thin layer of frost over the sensor which I removed it seems to be ok after that.

Opened and closed the petrol cap a couple of times just in case there is a built in warning sensor if the caps not shut properly. Joe

That was the Leprechauns, Joe !  ;)    I know that a few of them escaped to Newcastle :D

I'm quite certain there's no sensor on the fuel flap.

Guessing that you're probably nearest the answer with the layer of frost.

The sensors are ultrasonic- if there's a thin layer of air between the ice and the sensor, then I know they can detect that as something basically pressing against the sensor. 

Yes, I got into my wife's parked Polo the other day and it took me a few minutes to work out what the blinking noise was all about, as that car has OPS I could see that it was the front outer RHS sensor that thought there was an obstacle beside it, I got out, rubbed my hand over that sensor, noise stopped.

It can be very annoying when driving slowly in snowy conditions too, same issues!

The same goes for extremely heavy rain or driving in snow with the Front Assist/ACC radar. I've had a message saying 'Front Assist unavailable' when driving in a torrential rainstorm (the kind where you dare not go faster than about 15 mph) as the rain was confusing the radar, and the radar sensor can also get covered in snow rendering it inoperable. While the Fabia doesn't have a camera-based system at all, I can imagine that they can get affected by condensation and ice too, not to mention having a dirty windscreen!

On 14/01/2018 at 19:28, Dithane said:

That was the Leprechauns, Joe !  ;)    I know that a few of them escaped to Newcastle :D

I'm quite certain there's no sensor on the fuel flap.

Guessing that you're probably nearest the answer with the layer of frost.

Hi Dithane there is an Irish club in Newcastle I am sure after a few drinks at the bar you may see a few Leprechauns leaping about ;) Joe 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, JoePeddos said:

Hi Dithane there is an Irish club in Newcastle I am sure after a few drinks at the bar you may see a few Leprechauns leaping about ;) Joe 

And, watch out, Joe - because they don't just confine themselves to Irish bars ... they're really not that choosy !!! The feckers. :D

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, rum4mo said:

Is it them that wander around Newcastle at night in short sleeved shirts in deepest winter, I wondered how did that?

That’s fully clothed :)  Once had to pick up a coach at 4.30 am from the central station the city centre was wall to wall people. I was with SWMBO so only allowed to look at the girls out of the corner of one eye  ;)

11 minutes ago, JoePeddos said:

That’s fully clothed :)  Once had to pick up a coach at 4.30 am from the central station the city centre was wall to wall people. I was with SWMBO so only allowed to look at the girls out of the corner of one eye  ;)

Hey Joe - @rum4mo said "short sleeved shirts" - he never mentioned  ... short skirts.  But ... you could never trust those leprechauns. They probably had short sleeved shirt skirts.

How did we get here from frosty reversing sensors ?

Edited by Dithane

33 minutes ago, Dithane said:

Hey Joe - @rum4mo said "short sleeved shirts" - he never mentioned  ... short skirts.  But ... you could never trust those leprechauns. They probably had short sleeved shirt skirts.

More to the point, how do we get back, now it looks like snow on sensors is more relevant than frost up here!

45 minutes ago, JoePeddos said:

That is why I tend to walk slightly behind my wife!  Older daughter used to be going out with a Geordie that she met in Spain on a weekend away, well he thought he was a Geordie but maybe from the wrong side of the Tyne, he did try these fancy down/not dressing up in Edinburgh mid winter! Younger daughter is going with someone that to a Northerner sounds like a Geordie, but he is from a bit further North, he keeps his clothes on being an academic!

3 hours ago, Dithane said:

3 hours ago, rum4mo said:

More to the point, how do we get back, now it looks like snow on sensors is more relevant than frost up here!

Sorry for deviating from the original post, we are expecting frost tonight and snow tomorrow night so will keep the sensors clean, so hopefully no false alarms. Joe

2 hours ago, JoePeddos said:

Sorry for deviating from the original post, we are expecting frost tonight and snow tomorrow night so will keep the sensors clean, so hopefully no false alarms. Joe

Sorry, Joe - there was a "somebody" who dragged in Leprechauns, out of nowhere !! !  (;))    So, I'll go sit on the bold step for a while !!

Ok .. that's enough (:giggle:) -  Anyway - had my first " Front Assist not Available " warning earlier. It was snowing here a few hours ago. It seemed to clear itself  after about 10 minutes.

Well my drive way has not cleared itself, so that better be my next task!  Also sorry from me as well as assisting in the post deviation!

• Like 1