Noise from front differential

Hi guys, so I’ve been drivning my -11 170hk 2.0 tid 4x4 Skoda for 70000km or so. Lately (1 year), a noise has reared it’s ugly head on me. The noise is a sharp klick/klonk sound.

while driving it manifests best if run at low gears 1 or 2, and when you go from accel to enginebrake on and off. 

Loudest when turning right, lower sound going straight, no sound going hard left.

When the car is raised off the ground there is a notisible play while turning the front wheel, and indeed a klickning/klonking sound. I can turn the tire 5-7 degrees w/o any other wheel moving.

the play/sound seems to originate from the front differential/gearbox.

what do you guys think, anyone have the same sound? Know if it’s a common problem? Expensive? Urgent? 

That sort of noise is often a tie rod or a ball joint.

If you grabbed your tyre at the 12 and 6 o'clock position and it moved then its probably a ball joint.

If you got the independent movement while holding the tyre at 9 and 3 o'clock positions and wiggling it, then its probably your tie rods / thrust arms and/or associated bushings. 

They shouldn't be expensive to fix and I'd check those before worrying about gearboxes or differentials.

Thanks for the replys, I would very much like the idea that it’s a CV joint but when I have the car on my lift there is no play between driveshaft/wheelhub. Granted I didn’t put force onto wheel while holding the driveshaft, and I’m not sure that would work since the springs push the wheelassembly out of ’normal position’. Any tips on checking the CV joints? There is NO sound what so ever unless putting strain on the driveshafts, either by gas (on/off) or when engaging/disengaging clutch in 1st/2nd gear.

I’m pretty sure it’s not a tierod or a rodend :-(

Hello from my old mini days the way I always checked for CV joint failure was to find an empty car park and drive in a circle, about 20 kmh forwards and backwards listening for the clicking sound, do this on both right hand turn and left hand turn. This loads the CV joints to their maximum and any noise would be exaggerated. if it is CV joints i would advise both sides to be done, if it is ball joints or bushings have both sides done too, good luck. R

Edited by roynhayley
grammar edit
  • Like 1

On 1/14/2018 at 20:13, cobreti said:

Hi guys, so I’ve been drivning my -11 170hk 2.0 tid 4x4 Skoda for 70000km or so. Lately (1 year), a noise has reared it’s ugly head on me. The noise is a sharp klick/klonk sound.

while driving it manifests best if run at low gears 1 or 2, and when you go from accel to enginebrake on and off. 

Loudest when turning right, lower sound going straight, no sound going hard left.

When the car is raised off the ground there is a notisible play while turning the front wheel, and indeed a klickning/klonking sound. I can turn the tire 5-7 degrees w/o any other wheel moving.

the play/sound seems to originate from the front differential/gearbox.

what do you guys think, anyone have the same sound? Know if it’s a common problem? Expensive? Urgent? 

Check engine/gearbox mounts. I had this happen on my Octavia. Very much a noise going from accel to engine brake in first which changed on corners.  

Does sound like a track rod end though - you shouldn't be able to turn the wheel 5-7 deg with no other movement

Edited by bigjohn