Winter Tyres and Steel Rims - Octavia 1.6TDI Estate

Hi there,

The family workhorse is a 2012 Octavia 1.6 TDI Elegance Estate currently running 205/55/R16 91V summer tyres and alloys. We want to swap these during winter for winter tyres running steels. 

Would someone be able to give me possible options please, e.g would it be possible to run 15" tyres on this car, which I guess would work out cheaper? Any foreseeable issues with this, possibly insurance or otherwise? 

Furthermore I need to source steel rims but not exactly sure what details I'm asking for as I'm possible sourcing these from a scrapyard or 2nd hand. So depending on the responses these would either be 15" or 16" steels but would like the technical specs so I'm asking the right questions phoning around, thanks!

Insurance shouldn't be an issue though there are some providers who do require you to inform them when you fit Winter tyres and then revert to Summer tyres.  The ABI guidance is helpful but I would always contact your own insurer for peace of mind: 

https://www.abi.org.uk/globalassets/sitecore/files/documents/publications/public/migrated/motor/abi-guide-to-winter-tyres-the-motor-insurance-commitment.pdf

There's a few sets for sale over in the classified section including some tasty Autec 16" alloys that stand out against everything else advertised ;)

Thanks for the input everyone. 

@Longship, when you say "these are the wheels and tyres I fitted mid December", are you referring to penguin17's 16" Autec? 

I'm very tempted with these, the spec is right, the only difference is the offset where my Skoda states ET50 and his are 46 and found Autec do these in various offsets.

I doubt the 4mm will result in any issues, plenty of room in the Octavia arches but wanted to be sure I don't end up with a set of wheels in my garage that I have to move on again :-) 

If anyone knows a little more that side (ET 50 versus 46 on an 2012 Octavia Estate) that would make me more comfortable to go ahead ......