Which pad ?

valvedoctor46

Hey all. I asked John from forensic detailing this same question a few weeks ago but no reply as yet. Here goes;

When using megs 105 to remove wetsanding marks ie; off 3000 paper. I am currently using the orange hexlogix pad. Would any one recommend stepping up to the yellow hexlogic pad to make the process easier, or changing things completely to a microfiber pad. that's it really. Thoughts anyone.

Thanks for the replies guys. The orange pad does eventually remove it, but I've been caught out in the past on one of my neighbours cars. I'd corrected the full car as best I could( in the luxury of my dads double garage) All looked absolutely spot on till the next morning when it was sat back on my neighbours drive with the sun beating down on it. I had to re do about 8 patches where I'd been wet sanding. The car is pearlescent black by the way. This is why I'm keen to step up the aggressiveness of pad choice. just don't know which one to buy.

2 minutes ago, jars said:

I assume you’re going back over with 205 after the 105?

Yep, 105 then 205. Think I'll purchase a microfiber pad, maybe look at the megauirs ones like RobLarby suggests. When you've got a lot of wet sanding marks to remove I'm thinking these microfiber pads could be a game changer. One more thing before I buy one. Are they ok to use with the D.A set up ?

I've been swatting up on you tube. There's some good videos on there about the m/f pads. As Rob mentioned, the megs looks highly rated. Comes in a twin pack too which is good, as it is recommended that they are cleaned out periodically with compressed air which I don't always have. Definitely going to purchase a pack of these.

• Like 1

Just now, malcster said:

I have never.used the megs microfiber pads is the range coded to job requirements 

Ie one for cutting 

One for polishing and a finishing one ?? 

From what I understand, there is a cutting pad and a polishing pad. I shall just be buying just the cutting pad and then moving back over to the desired hexlogic foam pads to finish.

Yeah, definitely worth a shot. If it makes my life easier its a no brainer. I've just looked at the pad selection again and its available in "cutting" and "finishing" and usually come in a twin pack which is good.

• Thanks 1

On 18/01/2018 at 09:20, valvedoctor46 said:

Yeah, definitely worth a shot. If it makes my life easier its a no brainer. I've just looked at the pad selection again and its available in "cutting" and "finishing" and usually come in a twin pack which is good.

Do these fit a 5.5 das pro 

Can find 5 and 6 inch or am I being stupid 

1 hour ago, malcster said:

Do these fit a 5.5 das pro 

Can find 5 and 6 inch or am I being stupid 

I've noticed also that they only come in 5 & 6". I'm guessing the 5" pad will be suited to the 5" backing plate. A 6" pad would surely have way to much over hang on a 5" backing plate.

9 minutes ago, malcster said:

I've emailed clean your car advertising they list them for 5.5 inch in the description but picture 5 inch 

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/car-polish-compounds/meguiars-microfiber-system/meguiars-da-microfiber-cutting-pads-5-5-in-2-pack-/prod_967.html

Sweet. Keep me posted.

• Thanks 1

Got a response 

Hi Malcolm,

Yes those are correct. Listing pads is hard as the face is always different to the backing. But the backing is the most important part.

So yes even though they are 5.5” they are to fit a 5” plate which you have with the DAS, so those are the ones you need. They are good as well and ado work really well on the DAS 6.

Many thanks

Tim
  • Thanks 1