Summer Roadie

AndyH_NZ

No idea, I come from Southampton. ‘Kiwi’ however is a colloquial term for edible berries of a vine, or a flightless bird. Early settlers tended to slaughter the bird variant for their pelts rather than infer any national identity from the name, although it was used as a symbol by the South Canterbury Battalion in 1866. The first depiction of ‘Kiwi’ as a national symbol was probably  JC Bloomfield’s 1904 cartoon of a bird after the All Blacks test match win over England - the bird in question was the larger version, the now extinct Moa, though. New Zealanders were probably first referred to as Kiwis by Aussies in the First World War, and the rest as they say is history. They do speak English over here however, there is no ‘kiwi’ language per se, I’m assuming your comment was not referring to Te Reo, and apart from the displaced vowels, (origins of which an be traced back to the Goldrush settlements of Central Otago) and the post Second World War drift to all things Goddammed American, New Zealand English Is probably more traditional than that spoken in most of the UK these days . . . Like whateva, init!

Mmm.  I was using "Kiwi" in the same slang way that I'd use "Geordie", "Scouser” or "Ozzie":  the variety of English used by someone colloquially known as a Geordie, a Scouser or an Ozzie.

I'll keep things simpler.  What does "roadie" mean, please?

Oh, and Ozzie’s come from Oz, as in Wizard of . . . more Goddammed American . . . Or the Black Country (Is Aston Black Country?) if you were referring to Black Sabbath . . . Colloquially !

Ah, the fascination of differing dialects. It must be difficult to understand which you are speaking, when you move from one source to another.

I'm clear on "oz" (Oxford dictionaries give the first meaning as "ounce(s)" and the second as "Australian (adjective); Australia (noun)"), but I'm a bit lost on “urban”. The same source gives the definitions below.  Does (the local dialect of those often called) Kiwi take "urban” to mean something else?  

ADJECTIVE

• 1In, relating to, or characteristic of a town or city.

‘the urban population’

• 2Denoting or relating to popular dance music associated with black performers.

‘hip-hop's traditionally urban vibe’

1. 2.1 Denoting popular black culture in general.
      ‘an urban comedy’

‘urban clothing and street wear’

Edited by DaveMiller

Yep 'exhaust' tip were from Milotec, can't remember the actual international postage but it wasn't much, took a while for them to arrive though.

And yes, quartz grey.