Suzuki Swift or Fabia?

Chris GB

Collected the Swift sz5 late this afternoon, so a few first impressions:

Running in is recommended for 600 miles, so no hooning, however, the powertrain is impressive straight away. Nicely responsive at light throttle openings, with easily available torque. The hybrid motor works to contribute to the drive more often than I thought it would out on the open road and in traffic. The gearbox feels positive, smooth and light in use.

The suspension is very firm, but the ride generally not brittle. I'm sure it will soften up a little with use. Roll is very well controlled, steering is direct and accurate and the overall balance makes it keen to turn in and settle nicely into the corners. Direction changes and transitions are very crisp, one input and the car is precsiceley placed where you want it.

Refinement is OK. The tall 5th gear keeps the engine hushed on the dual carriageway, sitting around 2500rpm at 70mph. Wind noise is comparable with the Fabia or Citigo and road noise seems about right for the class. Seat comfort seems good.

Tech wise, the infotainment system runs through a 7" touchscreen with additional voice and steering wheel mounted controls. There is a decent sounding 6 speaker setup, DAB, USB music replay, full phone integration, sat nav and android auto compatibility. It's responsive enough and fairly intuitive. Between the speedo and rev counter, there is another screen with multiple options for trip / economy / cornering forces etc to be displayed. This screen is also used for setting various parameters / diving modes. A real techno tart car, it is going to take a while to figure it all out.

Lastly the LED headlights. Auto lights on, and also auto dimming. The auto functionality seems pretty effective, just occasionally delaying a little longer than I would like after oncoming traffic has passed. Light output and pattern / reach are truly excellent, quite a lot better than some HIDs I've used.

So first impressions are good! Full day teaching tomorrow, we'll see how it works from the passenger seat!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the update.   I think that a Swift is likely to be on my drive sometime - maybe later - this year.

Have been thinking about changing to an auto of late and had a test drive in an SZ5 auto over the weekend.   Summary:   liked having the gears changed for me (most of the time), didn't like the gears that it selected (IMO nearly always at least one gear too high).

Only afterwards did I read Rob Clubley's review which, again IMO, is right on the money:   http://www.drivelife.co.nz/2017/07/2017-suzuki-swift-rs-car-review-swift-by-name/

A lot of my test drive route was on flat 30mph limit roads.   Left to its own devices the auto always shifted into 5th (out of 6 gears).   Revs very low, very little throttle control, and when calling for even modest acceleration there was a delay whilst it shifted down a gear (or two).    I didn't get the chance to drive it on faster NSL roads but I don't think that I would like the behaviour (of the auto) when taking bends, as described by RC, at all.    I test drove a Fabia DSG last year and dismissed it for the same reasons (5/7 in a 30).

Given that the auto also misses out on whatever benefits derive from the mild hybrid in the manual SZ5, which would include brownie (greenie?) points from younger family, I think that I'll be staying with the manual 'box.    Before anyone mentions it, yes, I know that both the Swift and the Fabia autos can be driven 'manually' - and I did - and the paddles on the Swift worked very well - but I was left thinking that I might as well buy a manual if I was going to do that most of the time.

Thanks for the feedback from both of you - makes me very much inclined to pop down to the local Suzuki dealer and take a closer look and test drive both the boosterjet Swift and Baleno...   :biggrin:   and work out what they might offer me for a 80k mile Civic Diesel...

Good first day teaching! The pupils like it, the Swift is a more flattering car to drive than the Citigo and the much more accurate throttle response makes it an easy task for them to keep it smooth. 

For my own use, I'm liking it more and more. The damping is easing with use. Setup is undoubtedly on the firm side, but it is taking on a lovely fluidity at speed.  Phone connectivity is a doddle and voice call quality is excellent. Radar cruise control is effective and it's the first time I've had cruise on a manual that stays on through gear changes. 

So far, so good!

• Like 1

Just out of interest (Chris GB), did you ever consider/test drive a Baleno?

I do have an occasional need to carry rear seat passengers (+ kit for hill walking, etc.) and it is the more practical option.   Always been a function before form man but I do like the looks of the Swift, whereas the Baleno...:dull:

41 minutes ago, simon1304 said:

I do have an occasional need to carry rear seat passengers (+ kit for hill walking, etc.) and it is the more practical option.   Always been a function before form man but I do like the looks of the Swift, whereas the Baleno...:dull:

This is exactly my dilema - like the look of the swift but need the room (two growing kids at 10 & 13 and elderly parents - hence my thoughts re the Baleno - same chassis, tech and engines just different (if a bit bland) styling.  Laden with kit though at SZ5 level!

On ‎2‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 10:42, Chris GB said:

Radar cruise control is effective and it's the first time I've had cruise on a manual that stays on through gear changes. 

My (Australian) Octavia mk3 1.4tsi manual has normal cruise control due to being a 2014 model, but the cruise control stays on through gear changes as well.

I find the new Suzuki range (Swift, Ignis, Baleno, Vitara) quite appealing with Suzuki's approach to making them light in weight and therefore maximising available performance and economy from small engines. Some reviews criticise the internal presentation and materials used to achieve the weight reduction but it would have to be really bad to concern me. Their reputation for reliability is also really good, but most sold here are manufactured in Japan not India.

http://bbc.co.uk/news/business-34275917

http://bbc.co.uk/news/business-34325005 

Suzuki bought the last of their shares back from VW overnight as the VW Emissions Scandal was about to be made public.

Odd that nothing is ever said about that,  VW got the Suzuki / FIAT secrets,  but Suzuki must have found out much about VW Group.  

Suzuki build the Vitara in Hungary, so a good European built model.

Edited by AwaoffSki

• 1 month later...
On ‎03‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 11:54, simon1304 said:

I went to look at both the Swift and the Baleno this last weekend.  It wasn't really a fair comparison as the Baleno was a base model and the Swift was a higher spec but there were some noticeable differences that weren't just spec-related.

The Baleno, whilst not that much larger has significantly more room inside.  There was much more knee room in the back and it had a larger boot, as well as feeling generally more spacious and wider.  Getting the back was also much easier as it seems to have a longer rear door which opens wider.  It was also lighter and airier inside with a bigger glass area and normal door handles that don't replace a rear quarterlight and aren't on the same level as the window glass.  However, the interior was distinctly more 'low rent' than the Swift.

I'm therefore torn over them - I could do with the space every now and then (I doubt my elderly relatives would be able to get in the back of the Swift) but I'm not sure I could live with the interior of the Baleno.  I'm aiming to take a closer look at a higher spec one when I get the chance and may well test drive both as the Baleno appears to be significantly better value second hand, coming in cheaper and with a higher spec than the Swift.

However, I also looked at a new Kia Rio and a Hyundai I20...

The i20 was immediately removed from the list of possible (the interior was very 'old-man' with the two tone dashboard and also appeared quite cramped but the Rio was pretty good, even though only a basic '1' spec.  It certainly has more room than the Swift (although maybe not as much as the Baleno) and, in terms of interior came across as a much nicer place to spend time than the Baleno and on a par with a mid-spec Swift (even in basic trim).  A '2' spec Rio would be better again and a '3' a significant step up.  The Rio's 3 1.0 litre turbo triple may not be as good as the Swift but it still seems to get good reviews and, in '2' trim or above will certainly be on my list.

• 1 month later...

well just an update from me - I've now had a drive in both Baleno and Swift, amongst others, and I think I've just found a suitable Swift 1.0 Boosterjet SZ5 SHVS good enough to put a deposit down on...

• Like 1

Good choice, I'm finding mine really very good. Only slight fly in the ointment is that the lower leading edges of the C pillar are very prone to stone chips. My dealer put a clear vinyl film on mine at first service and reported the issue to Suzuki. Keep an eye on oil use. Around 100ml per 1000 miles is not unusual.

2 hours ago, Chris GB said:

Good choice, I'm finding mine really very good. Only slight fly in the ointment is that the lower leading edges of the C pillar are very prone to stone chips. My dealer put a clear vinyl film on mine at first service and reported the issue to Suzuki. Keep an eye on oil use. Around 100ml per 1000 miles is not unusual.

Thanks - can do a compare and contrast as and when it arrives!

Any chance of a piccie of the film location?  I'm going to get some mudflaps fitted which will hopefully help in that regard as they are only about £70 but even so if there is something that needs to be added prior to delivery then I'll ask...

On ‎15‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 14:12, skomaz said:

Thanks - can do a compare and contrast as and when it arrives!

Any chance of a piccie of the film location?  I'm going to get some mudflaps fitted which will hopefully help in that regard as they are only about £70 but even so if there is something that needs to be added prior to delivery then I'll ask...

Well I'm committed now - all paid for so just waiting for it to be delivered...

Forgot to ask re the protection film though...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Finally the order books are open on the Mk3 Fabia Face Lifts.

£18,435 as a starting price for a Monte Carlo 1.0TSI 110ps DSG Hatch.   

They are rather expensive for something with show and just so so go.   'Offers' will be available next year when Skoda catch up and gets cars built and delivered.

Choice is 1.0 Petrols with or without a turbo...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Offski said:

Finally the order books are open on the Mk3 Fabia Face Lifts.

£18,435 as a starting price for a Monte Carlo 1.0TSI 110ps DSG Hatch.   

They are rather expensive for something with show and just so so go.   'Offers' will be available next year when Skoda catch up and gets cars built and delivered.

Choice is 1.0 Petrols with or without a turbo...

That is pricey and makes the Swift look very good value indeed!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Offski said:

Just spec'd one to match a Swift SZ5 in metallic paint and it's £18,590 - and that's without the hybrid element!!!  That's nearly £3k more than an equivalent Swift...

Edited by skomaz
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, skomaz said:

Just spec'd one to match a Swift SZ5 in metallic paint and it's £18,590 - and that's without the hybrid element!!!  That's nearly £3k more than an equivalent Swift...

With considering that there is potential for a fair bit of price movement on the Swift too. Then there's the driving experience.

• Like 1