Urgent help required

VenjahVrs

Evening all.

I have a plume of white/grey diesel smoke on first startup and its lumpy for a few seconds. Now its not blue, its not white for water and its not black, it stinks of diesel and when i say plume i mean imagine a steam engine (maybe not so bad but you get the idea), for about 2/3minutes when starting.

This has been getting worse and worse over the past 3 months: 

So far i have done (here goes):

-Head off.

-New fuel filter

-New airfilter

-New glowplugs

-Turbo seals and shaft checked (No wear)

-Cam & buckets checked. (No wear)

-New darkside valve stem seals.

-Valves & guides were checked. (No wear)

-Injector #2 replaced as EML shown fault and had awful surging on boost (new injector fixed problem)

-New injector seals fitted using vag tool.

-New head gasket

-New manifold gasket

-New inlet gasket

-New rocker gasket

-New engine temp sensor

-New steel braided Turbo oil feed

-New headbolts, inj bolts etc

-Elephant mod

-New 505.01 PD oil

-Bores & Rings checked (No wear)

Even after doing all of this the car is still smoking on start up and is lumpy for a few seconds.

Few deets on the car:

Engine: PD160 BPX

Mileage: 142'***

I have the lite version of vagcom BUT although i know my way around a set of spanners i really have no idea how or what to do with it. 

Id really really appreciate any help or advice on this, im at my witts end !! 

Many thanks in advance!!!

Apologies if this is in the wrong section? Please move/advise.

I DO HAVE A VIDEO OF THE SMOKE THAT I CAN UPLOAD TO YOUTUBE.

Yes ive done a compression test, it came back fine && how would i go about bench testing the injectors without sending them off and it costing me a fortune? Ive tried to search for a sutiable way of testing them but havent been able to find one.

I have done my own camera test which involved me removing the glow plugs and with a small camera look into the bores to check spray pattern, all 4 injectors sprayed the same, BUT i am unable to find what they should spray like to compare.

I have a picture & video of my injectors spraying if thats any help.

*id need to upload to youtube as im unable to attatch on here.

There's another topic on this forum where someone says, " I had a badly leaking injector for a couple of years. Lots of smoke on start-up in the mornings with a lumpy idle for a minute or so, After that it drove fine and would give over 56mpg on a 400 mile drive. It got worse recently so swapped it out. "

Edited by kelper
added link to that post

Bloody long winded proccess that would be as the car only smokes when been left for a long period of time.

Do you know of anyway to test the injectors without sending them off?

I also forgot to mention that my engine temp gauage very rarely makes it to half way, sometimes will sit on/just below the quarter mark.

I really do appreciate your input. This has got me stumped!!

• 3 months later...

might be a weak starter motor so the engine doesnt build up the compression and heat as quick. ive had a few diesels do this but new battery/starter have solved them. also added extra earth cables to a few cars which have helped too including on my current 1.4tdi pd fabia