Road noise - Octavia VRS III facelift

17 hours ago, MorrisOx said:

Hmm. It’s a 2013 article referring to a 2008 test, so not sure how representative it is of today’s Octy.

Add to that...  The Lexus comes in one flavour. What Octavia did they test - a 1.4tsi hatch on 50 profile tyres or a 2.0tdi Vrs estate on 40 profile? The survey is meaningless.

It's the same story for most of the cars on the survey. The Golf is also near the bottom of the list. Having owned three, there's a number of things I can say against the Golf but a noisy cabin? They can't be serious.

Edited by Guest

4 hours ago, Scot5 said:

Add to that...  The Lexus comes in one flavour. What Octavia did they test - a 1.4tsi hatch on 50 profile tyres or a 2.0tdi Vrs estate on 40 profile? The survey is meaningless.

It's the same story for most of the cars on the survey. The Golf is also near the bottom of the list. Having owned three, there's a number of things I can say against the Golf but a noisy cabin? They can't be serious.

Its not a perfect survey but not meaningless. I have driven my fair share of golfs also as hire cars, and thay marginally better than the octavia but thay are not refined, including, 1.9, and 2.0 gtd. I would say the quality is slightly better also.

Gents. I spent about an hour this week lining 70% of my boot well area and a little under the rear seat base with this: https://www.deadening.co.uk/products/silent-coat-2mm-mat-volume-pack

I also have a rubber carpet protector in the boot. I am really pleased with the improvement. It isn't a transformation as such, but well worth the money and a doddle to fit. I have a few sheets left, so may try and fit a couple at the front somewhere around the bulkhead.

51 minutes ago, Alpha2110 said:

Its not a perfect survey but not meaningless. I have driven my fair share of golfs also as hire cars, and thay marginally better than the octavia but thay are not refined, including, 1.9, and 2.0 gtd. I would say the quality is slightly better also.

1.9 !!!!!!  That's a mk5 - it's 10 years ago! We've gone mk6, mk7, mk7.5 and now we're on to mk8.  Perfect example of why the survey is 100% meaningless.

We got rid of our 2.0tdi GT last year - had it for over 3 years. Even a bat with a hearing aid wouldn't describe it as having a noisy cabin - it's nowhere near the bottom of a list of noisy cars.

Edited by Guest

28 minutes ago, Scot5 said:

1.9 !!!!!!  That's a mk5 - it's 10 years ago! We've gone mk6, mk7, mk7.5 and now we're on to mk8.  Perfect example of why the survey is 100% meaningless.

We got rid of our 2.0tdi GT last year - had it for over 3 years. Even a bat with a hearing aid wouldn't describe it as having a noisy cabin - it's nowhere near the bottom of a list of noisy cars.

So is it more or less quiet than your octavia estate?

Edited by Alpha2110

• 9 months later...

I realise this topic is a bit old but I found it while researching the mkIII 3 Octavia. I am considering buying a VRS MKIII.

I'm digging up this thread to ask how owners of the MkIII VRS TDI find cabin noise??

And also to say that I believe the Golf's rating in that quoted survey. 

I drive a Superb now. I had a MK 6 GTI before it. It was a very noisy cabin. 

My wife had a Mk5 Golf before also. It too was a noisy car. 

My FL 230 vRS DSG has done 8,000 miles in 7 months (18"). Half of this mileage is with original Bridgestone Factory Fit tyres all around and the latter half with Vredestein Ultracs on the Front.

I've never found the Car noisy, less noisy than my previous Astra GTC (on 20" and Continentals) and my Qashqai (on Avons) for sure.

It is such a opinionated subject that can divide forums I don't think there is an answer.

Not sure if there is an explainable difference between pre FL and FL but I am sure someone will, like I wrote, have experienced something different.

Then there's the cars with Cabin Boom........