2016 vRS, noise/buzz from behind dash

On 28/02/2018 at 18:19, finnster01 said:

Got it back from the Dealers and they have done it, perfect silence (apart from the tyre roar and wind noise) so it was the knee air bag, luckily they identified it before ripping the dash to pieces!

They even gave it a health check and topped up the fluids too, so very happy bunny now!!!

Sorry to revive an old thread @finnster01, I have EXACTLY the same buzz. Happens between 1900 and just over 2000rpm in every mode. 

I have seen a video of removal of the knee airbag below the steering wheel, it seems its held on with 3 bolts. The mounting holes seem slightly elongated so I wonder if it's just vibrating off trim. Did they actually replace your airbag or just adjust it? 

On 03/11/2022 at 09:30, finnster01 said:

Hi Dooge, they replaced it under warranty for free, after they did this the noise went away so must of fixed the issue.

Thanks buddy, mines not under any warranty so I'll have a look without trying to manhandle it too much 😬

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I've nothing constructive to add to this thread other than to say that my 2015 vRS (TSI) made that horrible buzz at 2,000 rpm from the day I bought it in February this year. It was really, really annoying and the buzzing sound seemed to be coming from the driver's side A-pillar (but my hearing is awful, so that may not be accurate!). The buzz persisted, on and off, for a couple more months...then, it just disappeared, on it's own!! I have been mercifully free of the horrible sound for about 6 months now! 

If the noise does return I shall inspect the knee airbag. Many thanks to all on this thread for your very useful and helpful input on this matter. 

Kind regards,

Kev.