Replacing stereo with a Sony single din head unit and double din converter.

Hi, I am looking to replace my factory fitted radio with a single din Sony stereo with a fascia converter and ISO harness. Is it a simple swap, plug and play job? I've seen some threads on here talking about 12v diagnostic leads and aerial socket adaptors/converters.

Any advice would be appreciated. 

This is my new head unit

https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l/p/-/-/-/-/?548779360&0&cc5_261

And this is my ISO harness

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F160975337189

Thanks in advance.

there is no ignition feed on the multilok connector as the stereo is triggered by the CAN-Bus network on a 1Z, so would have to supply a new one from the fuse box. Fuse taps are invaluable for this purpose. Sony normally supply a DIN to ISO adaptor for the antenna, though you dont say what stereo you currently have fitted.

If its the Skoda Stream MP3 unit, you will require an "amplified" FAKRA to ISO for the antenna. something like the image below, the blue wire goes to either 12v ignition or the blue line from the new stereo (power antenna):

PC5-136-250x250.jpg

I would also suggest cutting or removing the blue wire from the harness adaptor on the car side as this can sometimes put 12v onto the k-line diagnostics wire, depending on the pinout of the multilok connector.

Edited by Arrkon
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Arrkon said:

there is no ignition feed on the multilok connector as the stereo is triggered by the CAN-Bus network on a 1Z, so would have to supply a new one from the fuse box. Fuse taps are invaluable for this purpose. Sony normally supply a DIN to ISO adaptor for the antenna, though you dont say what stereo you currently have fitted.

If its the Skoda Stream MP3 unit, you will require an "amplified" FAKRA to ISO for the antenna. something like the image below, the blue wire goes to either 12v ignition or the blue line from the new stereo (power antenna):

PC5-136-250x250.jpg

I would also suggest cutting or removing the blue wire from the harness adaptor on the car side as this can sometimes put 12v onto the k-line diagnostics wire, depending on the pinout of the multilok connector.

Thanks very much for this. I think you may have answered another question that I've also posted. I've got two constants running into my constant red and switched yellow, meaning that the stereo needs turning off physically on exit. My mate and I deduced that we'd need to run a spare switched from the fuse box.

Cheers mate

12 hours ago, Arrkon said:

glad to be of help.

yeah the newer cars don't have a switched feed, and the old useful feed from the cig lighter, now seems to be permanent 12v.  

Yeah I put a meter on that too and found it to be constant. Why are these things never simple? What happened to plug and play like in the good old days?

38 minutes ago, Cryonut said:

Thanks. So what would this plug in to? I have a SONY DSX-A400BD with the relevant ISO harness adaptor and FAKRA aerial converter.