Oil Consumption

Hi,

I am currently in the process of purchasing  a 2012 Fabia VRS and upon joining this forum I have come across the excessive oil consumption topic. Should I really be that worried? I have had a very reliable Seat Ibiza for years without a single problem and have been saving up to treat myself to a car that I absolutely adore and have my heart set on. I’m now full of fear that what I am about to do will be a huge mistake. How common is this problem and is it really that serious? Wouldn’t Skoda have recalled them if it was? Surely any high performance engine uses more oil? It doesn’t bother me having to replenish the oil frequently if this is all that is required but I understand there is other damage the high oil consumption can cause leading to costly repairs. I am purchasing it from a Skoda dealer who have no understanding of this problem. The car has got full service history and comes with 1 year warranty which is somewhat peace of mind. I am looking for reassurance or advice before it’s too late to back out. 

Many thanks. 

Edited by OEmery91

Welcome. 

See the pinned thread at the top of the page. 

Plenty on here about Oil users, and not only was there no recalls, service campaigns, VW, Skoda, Seat, Audi never acknowledged there was an issue.

http://www.revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues 

The 1,380cc / 180ps min engine does not need to burn or use oil, and many do not, 

but then more that 1 in 4 of the CAVE may have and on the 1,800 in the UK had rebuilt or new engines, and even new replaced engines replaced and the CTHE cars which there are about 1,100 less failures.

See the thread now the page. 

' Nightmare Fabia vRS engine replacement needed',  that was a member with a Warranty bought from Skoda UK.

If buying from a Dealership with a Warranty then do your research.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/294051-cave-cthe-14tsi-just-reply-if-you-have-had-an-engine-replaced 

Edited by AwaoffSki

So how many miles has it done.

& what does the full service history include,  Oil & Filter changes, spark plug changes?

ask for a print out of any Warranty or Service Campaign actions. Has an oil consumption test ever been done, breather mods / updates, software updates etc.

Ask if the DSG Service Campaign was needed, if there is a Full Main Dealer Service history it will have been done or should have if requires.

The Dealers / Skoda Warranty should be good, and no excuse for any Underwriter to say known issues,. because if known there was still a Warranty given,

even if the sales person had no knowledge.

The evidence of the Service campaign done is the Sticker in the Spare Tyre well with '34F7' on it, and on the Service Record and in the book if there is one.

Not all needed it doing, if outstanding it shows here.

Or should.

http://master.skoda-auto.com/mini-apps/recall-actions 

Ask the person that has no understanding of the Oil Consumption issues if they just started working at a Skoda Dealership.

Maybe until recently they worked at Hotpoint and knew nothing about tumble driers that can catch fire.

You have done all you can, gone to a Skoda Dealer, asked questions, got a warranty and just check the oil level when you get the car, 

use Super Unleaded and enjoy the car.

You might need a new Water Pump sometime in the next year with a 6 year old Twincharger with 60,000 miles.

Check when the Spark Plugs were last replaced.

I pick the car up in 2 weeks so I will check for a sticker then. I will look for a VIN number on the paperwork I took away with me and check on the link you sent me. 

I also called Skoda UK themselves and asked the question. They were aware of the problem but were not very helpful with any advice or guidance. 

I will be sure to regularly check the oil level and top up with good quality oil as necessary. 

It had an MOT and service this month so water pump would have been picked up if it was on its way out right? Also I am assuming sparks were changed but I will double check. Is it vital that sparks are replaced regularly with this known oil consumption problem then? 

Thanks very much for your help and advice. 

Edited by OEmery91

Why wait until collecting the car. 

Send an Email to the Sales Person, and make a call.

Ask them to check the Spare Tyre Well for the Sticker. 

Be sure the Spark Plugs have been inspected or replaced.   Best assume nothing, that is the point.

It is vital that Spark Plugs are checked, because not often do all 4 last 40,000 miles.

It is a known reason for Engines Failing, tips off 1 spark plug.

No the Water Pump would not be picked up at a MOT. 

Only if a leak, and that is not the issue.   You learn of the issue with a slight coolant leak sometimes, but that is not always.

PS

If you needed to top up Oil within a few hundred miles i would return that car and tell them it is not Fit For Purpose.

They should not use oil. 

Some topping up is needed when doing short trips, never up to temp etc, but that is no excuse for an excessive oil user.

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Like 1

If no DSG Service Campaign was required then fair enough, if dealer serviced they should have known. 

As with the Heated Seat Service Campaign, and the Steering part TPI.

Oil use is depending on use the car might need a little top up after a couple of thousand miles when it is working as should.

If it needs oil in after a couple of tanks of fuel that is not right

First you want the correct amount of oil in after a Service,  checked stone cold, then after the engine is up to operating temperature.

There are more good cars than bad, so you have a good chance of getting a good car.

Is it a CAVE engine 2012.,

or late 2012 & a CTHE engine  car you are buying?

Hopefully all is well. 

Spark Plugs good and no oil use. 

It might be an idea when an Oil change is needed to stop using Long Life Oil and use 5w 40 Full Synthetic. (VW 502 00).

You really want to use Super Unleaded, so 99 ron, but 97 ron will do if you can not use Tesco Momentum 99, Shell V-Power Nitro + or Costco Super Unleaded.

Yeah fingers crossed. Shouldn’t need to be a gamble though. 

I found the VIN and searched it on the link you gave me. Came back with no relevant recall campaigns. 

I will take your advice on the oil and fuel. Thanks for that. 

My thoughts at at the moment are.... 1 owner has had the car for 6 years and done 60k miles in it with no warranty repairs needed, surely if there was a problem this wouldn’t be the case?

Your choice obviously - but keep in mind that people do not buy a VRS to drive it like their grannies. Its a fun car, and the loud pedal generates the fun. At 60K, the future (expensive) possibilities are yours. Take a close look at the Post entitled  "Nightmare fabia VRS engine replacement needed" - this gives perhaps the reality of where you are at the moment. You want the car, and seek confirmation to justify its purchase.

The dealer can and will give you every assurance that all is well - but it is when this is put to the test that often disappointment follows.

Knowing the well documented shortcomings of the VRS - the choice is yours. Sorry to rain on your parade, but I would hate yet another fiasco to mirror

jav_10's experience.

• Like 1

Yes it can be that bad. 

Months of fighting to get a car 'Fit for purpose'.   It is a Lottery.

That is the point.  Know your rights, know what the Warranty covers, and if you get a dodgy car get it back to the Dealers, 

have everything in writing.  

See the threads on this page this week.  There is a buyer of a 60,000 mile vRS that had to be sure he was buying a car that had been serviced, 

and warrantied.

Because an owner had a car 6 years and had it Serviced by Main Dealers means nothing, Main Dealer Servicing is often not very much done.

main-qimg-801933d3a7c4b034ec0503df91a106d4-c.jpg

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Like 1

Seasoned Skoda owners have every reason to be very reluctant to say outright go ahead and buy.

It seems that you wish or even expected for the 'all clear' from forum members to go ahead and buy.

Sorry, but you will not get that response from the majority here. You are taking a gamble.

Again, sorry to rain on your parade, but everyone here has your best interests at heart..

• 3 weeks later...

*Update*

So I have had my vrs for a week now and covered about 500 miles. I have been checking the oil regularly and can report that the level has not gone down at all. So unless it all of a sudden gulps the whole lot at once I am feeling pretty confident. No other problems to report either. I absolutely adore the car so I really hope it stays this way. 

Time to start thinking about some upgrades. Can anyone recommend any essentials? I will be posting some ideas in the near future to gather peoples opinions and advice. 

• Like 2

I already have plans for the brakes. I will look into suspension, not sure I will bother though. How much is a remap? Not sure it’s worth the investment, it’s fast enough as it is and I feel I will always be nursing a delicate engine, don’t want to upset that. Is an induction kit worth it? Other things I had in mind were wind deflectors and possibly footwell lights. What can you tell me about these? 

No need for a remap then, £350-£400.   The APR map was better than Skoda / VW's,  

maybe your car had the Breather Mod and software update, and you never know if a used car could already be remapped anyway.

Like the springs, there could already be Dealer Fit lower springs on, or after market ones, you need to check.

As can be the case with the brakes, maybe there are better than OEM pads fitted already.

There is a wind deflector thread down the page and others if you do a search.

• 1 month later...

Hi all. I have had my Fabia VRS for 1yr 3 months now and its just on 60k miles.  Later CTHE engine and it drinks a lot of oil.

I've just had the SKODA oil consumption test done under warranty that (surprise surprise) revealed it is normal. However real world consumption is nothing like what the test says. Not even close!

I'm wondering if anyone can advise me what is the best tactic to take and what I can reasonably expect to resolve this from SKODA?

Thanks! :)

Welcome.

Put up the figures from their test then.  Tell how they did the test.

?

Are they saying it does not use 0.5 litres in 1,000 km / 621 miles?  "within tolerances" according to them!

Did the test last 621 miles or even 1,242 miles and 1 litre not used?

Or was it a 300km / 186 mile test?

As it is 0.3 litres in 621 miles is excessive and an Oil User and cars have had new Oil Spray Jets, then if still had new 

Engines when tested and using 0.3 litres in 621 miles.

?

How much the New Oil weighed when drained before the test, then what it weighed after the test & how many miles covered between 

the first weighing and the 2nd.

Do you have the written report.

This example below is done wrongly.  & gave the wrong / incorrect result, and the owner did get a new engine.

But it gives you an idea, i will tell you later what is wrong with it.

& see the pinned thread at the top of the page. Lots of pages, but go to the last pages maybe.

455a4eee-ff43-4186-9c92-b94363e633a0_zps11333bb7 (2).jpg

Edited by AwaoffSki
  • Like 1