Considering a class action lawsuit against Skoda UK

ZZR600

Like many other Skoda owners, I've noticed that my Yeti 1.8TSI consumes far more oil than a modern car should. It has been pointed out on this forum and others that this appears to be a result of faulty design of piston rings. 

I'm considering suing Skoda UK for the cost of repairs to my Yeti, that I've been told may need a new engine due to oil consumption of over 1.2 litres every 600 miles.  If you own an oil burner, would you consider joining in the suit? If so, just reply yes to this thread and I'll put together a list of potential litigants. 

In the USA, you can sue companies, and Audi owners have successfully claimed compensation

https://www.driving.co.uk/news/british-audi-drivers-battle-for-compensation-over-excessive-oil-consumption/ 

I don’t think you can equate US consumer law with any other jurisdiction.......in your case, unfortunately.

Edited by Ryeman

Well, the local franchise garage has measured the oil consumption and agreed there is a problem. Skoda UK are apparently willing to cover part of the cost, still leaving me with a large bill to settle. This problem has been mentioned many times by owners of cars with VW 1.8 or 2.0TSI engines. I'd like to put together a list of people so that Skoda or VW accept they have a problem and offer to fix these engines free of charge. 

Your interest is the 1.8TSI, and i see you have posted in the thread with the 1.8 & 2.0 TSI engine failures, 

there are also 1.2 TSI's with timing chain failures, and 1.4 TSI Twinchargers with a failure rate greater than the other Euro 5 TSI engines.

Good luck with any class action in England / Wales if that is where you are, 

those trying to raise the Class Action on the Defeat Devices are not proceeding very well it seems. 

The Law Firm acting for them seem only able to raise the Action for Owners in England /Wales, but not include those in Scotland, 

or those in Northern ireland.

• Like 1

Well, Scotland and the 6 Counties do genuinely have different legal systems to "England and Wales". Also, AIUI the "class action law suit" is a concept in USian law that doesn't normally map to any of the others (although a successful suit in the UK can establish a precident which may mean that further suits on the same grounds are automatically proven. This is how many of us became entitled to payouts for credit card insurance and/or PPI).

• Like 1

Audi was ‘run out of town’ due to driver incompetence and basic unfamiliarity with the brake pedal being on the same plain as the accelerator.   A nice little earner.

http://vwemissionsaction.com 

These might be the people to ask if taking a 'Class Action' against the VW Group or brands in the VW Group on engine failures has any chance of success in the 

UK / EU. 

Yes the UK has Laws and legislation that where a Test Case might set a presedent (edit) , but that does not mean this Law Firm can represent those in Scotland or Northern Ireland in a Class Action.

Edited by AwaoffSki

5 hours ago, AwaoffSki said:

Yes the UK has Laws and legislation that where a Test Case might set a president,

Whereas America has legislation through which a Head Case might become the President!! :D

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Well, I managed to get this resolved. Local Skoda garage diagnosed excessive oil consumption, the remedy being a replacement set of pistons, piston rings and con-rods (£3400) or worst case, full engine £5300. Skoda offered to cover 70% of costs as a good will gesture, bringing my bill down to £1010 as they needed to change the pistons and con-rods only.

However, I spoke to the dealer I bought it the car from and mentioned the Consumer Rights Act 2015, which makes it an implied term of the contract I had with them that goods be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality. I argued this wasn't the case and they agreed to pay £500 towards the cost, although in reality I think I would have been entitled for a full refund. 

I had also paid £300 deposit on the car by credit card, so the credit card company agreed to cover the remaining £600 or so under a Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 claim.

So all in all an OK result, but I would have preferred not to have the trouble on the first place. Oil consumption in the car is now fine, haven't topped it up in several 1000 miles since the repair

• Like 2

Well done. 

But a member with a 1.8TSI Yeti got a new engine recently free as he bought from Evans Halshaw & had the assistance from the RAC.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/452890-yeti-18tsi-brand-new-engine-a-success-story

Then in Australia those that were part of a Class Action are getting new engines.

Edited by Offski

Just now, Offski said:

Well done. 

But a member with a 1.8TSI Yeti got a new engine recently free as he bought from Evans Halshaw & had the assistance from the RAC.

Then in Australia those that were part of a Class Action are getting new engines.

Unfortunately I bought from an independent, not a Skoda main dealer. For a few pennies VW saved on piston rings, they've caused massive engine problems. The inlet valves had to be cleaned due to DI fouling, but that's another story!

6 hours ago, ZZR600 said:

Unfortunately I bought from an independent, not a Skoda main dealer. For a few pennies VW saved on piston rings, they've caused massive engine problems. The inlet valves had to be cleaned due to DI fouling, but that's another story!

Interesting re DI fouling.  Did you actually see how bad they were or simply told about it?.   Did you notice a performance improvement after cleaning and reassembly ?.

12 hours ago, Ryeman said:

Interesting re DI fouling.  Did you actually see how bad they were or simply told about it?.   Did you notice a performance improvement after cleaning and reassembly ?.

No, I was just told about it. I have read this is a problem in many DI engines. I can't say I noticed any change after the repair. The 1.8 is quite a punchy engine and it remains so, a real shame about the reliability though

20 minutes ago, ZZR600 said:

No, I was just told about it. I have read this is a problem in many DI engines. I can't say I noticed any change after the repair. The 1.8 is quite a punchy engine and it remains so, a real shame about the reliability though

Everybody ‘knows’ about the supposed DI problem, and I’m wondering if it’s just a tad overhyped by the engine repairers as a potential earner.

I’ve decoked quite a few exhaust valves and been surprised at there being no noticeable performance improvement afterward.

• 2 years later...