Sportline vs Edition vs Scout?

Has anyone put time into comparing these three trim levels? 

I appreciate that they have different base options, but I'm curious to hear peoples thoughts on how they found the three.

How did they feel?

How was the suede finish seats in the sport and scout? Would they stand up to the rigors of children?

I'm not too bothered by the blindspot functionality that comes in the edition and most of the options I would look to add are not standard on either model (towbar, sunroof, trizone climate, heated wheel and screen, canton)

I've spent plenty of time online, not in the showroom.

I'm not a huge fan of full leather, we have the leather / alcantara seats on our Octavia Scout and they are repelling all that the kids can throw at them pretty well!

The issue I have with the Edition (and the S and SE L for that matter) is that they look a little bland on the outside compared with the Scout and Sportline. Those black bumpers will soon look old when the Kodiaq gets its first face-lift and they become fully colour coded like the Sportline.

I'm a bit of a fan of the faux aluminium look of the Scouts bumper trims, although I appreciate they aren't to many other peoples tastes. I also quite like the sound of the Scout's rough road package.

The Sportline looks great, but there is something wrong about a car of this nature riding on 20" alloys with low profile tyres, it's trying too hard to look like a BMW X5.

I'm not convinced the extras on the Edition justify the price increase over the SE L, but this of course depends on what your priorities / preferences are.

I've had a bit of a moan before about the heated screen not being standard on the higher spec models.

The towbar is a wise choice, the only way to get one is by ordering new, and at £860 (gone up by £10) its well priced too when you consider the internal switch and LED indicator.

Don't forget to add the £105 spare wheel.

9 hours ago, silver1011 said:

Those black bumpers will soon look old when the Kodiaq gets its first face-lift and they become fully colour coded like the Sportline

I really don't see that happening.

I'm a bit of a fan of the faux aluminium look of the Scouts bumper trims

Me too - it's a shame the standard equipment is a bit poor for the money. Also, the ride height on the Scout is only a few mm higher than the non-Scout versions, which really does mean it seems to be style of substance.

The Sportline looks great

Meh. It looks nice in the studio photos, and the seats look ok - but again, it is very much style over substance - there is no quicker engine or anything, so what's the point? Fur coat and no knickers, as they say.

'm not convinced the extras on the Edition justify the price increase over the SE L

This is where it does get a little complicated - if you just get an Edition with no extras, I could agree with you. If you want the ACC and Assistance Package, then adding them onto the SE L makes no sense when you end up paying as much as you would for an Edition with those things (because of having to add LA etc. to the SE L), so getting the Edition does then make sense.

Thanks for the replies. 

The point about the edition looking a little plain next to the scout and sportline is something I’d agree with.

We have a Yeti at the moment and I like the look with the silver trims. 

Cost wise, with my options there isn’t a huge amount in it. The sunroof may get removed as it’s just so expensive, I do love a sunroof though! 

I am am going to try a dealer to see what they have in. 

• Like 1

The one other point that I would make is that, as with a lot of cars and these online things, the images of the Kodiaq on the configurator do not do it justice. The proportions just don't seem quite right.

I still don't like the Kodiaq based on what it looks like on the configurator - but in real life I think it's a really nice looking car. Understated in that Skoda way, but not boring in that VW way :tongueout:.

On 09/02/2018 at 07:47, WiggosSideburns said:

I really don't see that happening.

Its been happening for years, all manufacturers do it. The cars life cycle will be largely agreed before it has even launched. This is why some features are held back, amber indicators fitted and trim is left unpainted.

It allows for a midlife refresh / facelift without having to make significant investment. Take a look at the original MkII Octavia and the 2009 facelift. Lights, plastic trim, features and chrome trim all updated. Skoda Yeti MkI to the MkII, largely the same, less black plastic, more paint.

The Kodiaq won't be any different, give it a few years.

On 09/02/2018 at 07:47, WiggosSideburns said:

This is where it does get a little complicated - if you just get an Edition with no extras, I could agree with you. If you want the ACC and Assistance Package, then adding them onto the SE L makes no sense when you end up paying as much as you would for an Edition with those things (because of having to add LA etc. to the SE L), so getting the Edition does then make sense.

Which I why I wrote this, but you chose to leave off the quote...

On 08/02/2018 at 22:25, silver1011 said:

I'm not convinced the extras on the Edition justify the price increase over the SE L, but this of course depends on what your priorities / preferences are.

It all depends on the value a prospective purchaser places on the tech that is added to the Edition.

4 hours ago, silver1011 said:

but you chose to leave off the quote...

I was simply expanding on your answer - not disagreeing or arguing with you, so I saw no need to quote the entire post.

• 2 weeks later...

My personal opinion:

Scout is the only one with "wood" trim but it's designed so that it looks like something from the 50's or a cabin in the woods. Little higher ground clearance and plastic underbody "protection" as standard.

Sportline has ALOT of black elements where they are normaly chrome on the other two variants. You get the "fake exhaust" style rear bumper and a front "difusor spoiler" look-a-like trim. The interior plastic trim is nice (better than with Scout or Edition) but you can only get black interior and you are very limited with the colour choices for the car.

Edition is the most stylish and relaxed-looking inside and out. It's the most subtle looking, but than again this is a Škoda SUV with a 4 cylinder engine, so i could say the Edition is the most "Škoda-like" of them all, where Sportline being more a VRS-optic one. Scout is nothing special and you should avoid if you're not a grandpappy.