Erratic rear wiper behaviour

V6Jon

Morning all,

I have only had my Octavia a couple of weeks, and when I bought it I was aware that the rear wiper didn't work and having read a load of threads on here I presumed this was just the usual problem and a new wiper motor would sort it out. However having lived with it for a couple of weeks I am no longer convinced, for an example of what it does, here is this morning behaviour :

This morning I got in the car, stated it, and accidentally knocked the wiper arm, the rear wiper smoothly and quickly wiped the rear window. That's odd I thought, waited a couple of seconds and it did it again.

I turned off the wiper, but after about five minutes I started wondering if it was working normally now, so turned it on again and it again wiped the glass quickly and smoothly, no juddering, no nasty noises from the motor that would indicate its rusted/damaged internally. By now the windscreen has marks across it from the dry wiper so I decide to wash it, push the lever to wash, water comes out and the wiper stops all movement and won't wipe the screen again.

Lastly, about 15 minutes later I parked the car to run into the shop, when I came out and started the car the wiper moved halfway across the screen and stopped pointing straight up and there it stayed regardless of whatever I did to the switch.

So I am wondering if anyone else has had similar issues with their wiper and can provide help with diagnosis ? 

Even though the relay clicks when I move the switch, I am starting to wonder if this is possibly a wiring / relay issue ? 

Thanks

Jon

Same issue that I had and I too thought it might have been a relay at fault but it was the wiper motor. You can connect power direct to the motor and test it but you will still need to remove it to do so. A word of warning through, the boot trim is a pain to refit due to the cheap fixings and requires a certain technique to avoid turning the air blue with expletives 

Thanks for the quick reply, I guess I better start searching for a new motor then.

Really hoped that was going to be a quick/cheap job after all, never mind, at least I am suitably experienced at swearing !

ECP usually do some good prices. There is only 3 screws holding the motor and the wiring plug just unclip iirc. Apply some rubber/silicone grease to the shaft before refitting. If you tape over the jaws of some pliers before using them to remove the washer jet it avoids damaging it.

Like I said early refitting the trim is the pain and it was suggesting that getting in the boot and pushing the trim clips into place is the better method. 

Yup. Mine was exactly the same. Intermittent function then stopping altogether. New motor from ECP and waited until a 30% off Weekend deal and got it for around £60. Boot trim - use a wooden spatula in the corner then pull. Hard. As above 3 bolts on motor. Don't forget to remove wiper arm first. Liberal squirts of Plus Gas on the nut for a week before works well. Might need slight levering off. Wooden spatula works well to lay flat in glass and pry up with big flat blade screwdriver. 

Putting boot trim trim back is fiddly. Make sure all metal spring clips are lined up where they should be and not twisted. The trim needs to slot into the upper trim part either side before pushing home. Easier done sitting in boot with helper outside holding boot slightly up from closed position. Don't force it too hard. You can peek down sides to see if clips are lining up. 

Hope this helps. Did mine 4 weeks ago. Took about 40 mins in total. 

• 4 months later...

holy-thread-revival

Did anyone find that the rear-wiper-motor different from the saloon version compared to the estate?

(I have mk2 PFL estate)

In short - I'm wondering if there's any viable alternatives - or do we have to hunt for the exact make/model for a precise match