Changing ignition coil block, 1.4 mpi

Hello there! 

I am about to fit a new ignition coil. I had a quick look tonight and it seems it's held on with two bolts and is hooked up to a power lead.

Some questions:

Is there a particular way to release the power clip? I don't want to break it!

Should I disconnect the battery before doing this?

Is there a knack to seating the rubber connectors over the spark plugs?

Thanks a lot! I'd be ££££s out of pocket without the help of the kind people on this forum! 

Press the connector plug down to relieve pressure whilst pulling the tag towards wire. Pull the plug off.  No need to disconnect battery. There is no knack to getting the rubber connectors on the plugs, the whole coil just pushes on easily.

imageproxy.php.png

Edited by TMB
  • Like 1

By the way, when you unbolt the coil pack (6mm hex bolts) there is a loose metal plate that may fall out. It has threaded holes for the bolts. Careful not to lose it. It looks like the one in this bag...

www.oparts.cz.jpg

Edited by TMB
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TMB said:

By the way, when you unbolt the coil pack (6mm hex bolts) there is a loose metal plate that may fall out. It has threaded holes for the bolts. Careful not to lose it. It looks like the one in this bag...

www.oparts.cz.jpg

4 hours ago, TMB said:

Press the connector plug down to relieve pressure whilst pulling the tag towards wire. Pull the plug off.  No need to disconnect battery. There is no knack to getting the rubber connectors on the plugs, the whole coil just pushes on easily.

imageproxy.php.png

Wow! Thank you very much for taking the time to find these photos! And great tip about the plate, too. Feeling much more confident about it now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TMB said:

You can get new ones for under £50 on ebay.

I bought a HAAS one from Euro Car Parts (413440381) and with the magic of the internet, got it down to £50.24 - otherwise it's £71.99 and ebay would be better) - for users of the internet browser Chrome, there's an extension called Honey joinhoney.com which, when you approach an online till, searches for discount codes. It works with lots of websites, but for some reason, Euro Car Parts always have discounts running, and some of them are really good. So for this part it found a 35% weekend discount voucher. 

3 minutes ago, retro said:

While you are there it would be good practice to take the plugs out and see how they are running, clean them up and check the electrode gap.

Thanks Retro, my friend changed them for me about 5k ago, but seeing as I'm going to have access to them, you're right!  I'll be lucky if it's still running tomorrow! haha!

1 hour ago, badgerdisco said:

Thanks Retro, my friend changed them for me about 5k ago, but seeing as I'm going to have access to them, you're right!  I'll be lucky if it's still running tomorrow! haha!

Actually, think I'll pick up some new plugs whilst I'm at it. Do it all at once!

4 hours ago, badgerdisco said:

Actually, think I'll pick up some new plugs whilst I'm at it. Do it all at once!

If they are only 5k miles old then you don't really need new plugs, if you want to by all means do it but it won't actually need them replacing. 

7 minutes ago, retro said:

If they are only 5k miles old then you don't really need new plugs, if you want to by all means do it but it won't actually need them replacing. 

I'll have a look, probably find one of them laced with oil ; ) if not then I can keep them for next service.

On 14/02/2018 at 15:23, retro said:

On 13/02/2018 at 19:12, TMB said:

No probs at all.

17 hours ago, cheshire_cat said:

wrong engine:blush  so it's coil PACKS then

Thanks for your help - a very easy job (great to know about that little plate), and I did replace the plugs whilst I was at it. 

The car is starting promptly now, rather than turning over briefly and so far I've not had any loss of power or flashing engine light. Power lower down the revs seems better, too.

Fingers crossed this cures it.

Cheshire - you shouldn't be too surprised that the man who asked for advise to replace a plug 'n' play part doesn't know the proper name for it :laugh:

• Like 1

Just now, TMB said:

Oh damn :sadsmile:

I bought it a year ago for £500 with the aim to get a year out of it. But it seemed so good (despite the occasional misfire!) I thought I'd gamble on another year! Just passed her MOT a week ago and now dead. I could spend £200-300 on a new head gasket but it's 17 years old.