Please upgrade to a current Ross tech interface error

aldouk

Some of the controllers in the MQB onwards platform cars (Škoda S3, O3, Audi A4, Q7, some SEATs... and the list is growing) have surpassed what the HEX+CAN is capable of, I upgraded mine to HEX-NET 3 years ago and do not see any such messages it just works as your HEX+CAN used to on older cars.

You have 4 choices:

1/ do nothing and accept it cannot code some controllers

2/ find someone local with HEX-V2 / HEX-NET to code what you cannot

3/ buy a HEX-V2, available in 3 VIN (£225), 10 VIN (£299) and unlimited VIN (£450) versions, the VIN limit can also be upgraded at any time at a cost of $169 (3 to 10 VIN and again 10 to unlimited VIN, so clearly if you think you will ‘need’ more than 10 VINs it is much cheaper to buy it unlimited rather than keep upgrading.

4/ buy a HEX-NET 10 VIN (£430) or unlimited VIN (£575) again you can upgrade from 10 VIN to unlimited at a later date for $169.

The difference is HEX-NET can be used with a cable or via wifi (on full VCDS software) it can also be used on any smart phone or tablet (including Apple iOS) ... the VCDS-Mobile app is not as easy to use as the full VCDS software for coding mind! (nor is it designed to be).

HEX-NET also covers Lamborghini which HEX-V2 doesn’t...  if that really matters to you :D 

PC requirements

The minimum system requirements for the VCDS software are:

• Desktop, laptop or notebook PC
  • 1 GHz dual-core processor
  • 1 GB RAM
  • Windows Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1 or Windows 10 (32 and 64 bit editions)
  • Approx. 100MB of hard disk space
  • USB port

Slower computers or Windows 2000, XP and Vista may work but are not officially supported.

As now you can also use it on a Mac (via Bootcamp etc) running Windows.

HTH

• Like 3

Forgot to mention there is still a healthy demand for your s/h HEX+CAN, however I suspect this will diminish fairly rapidly once more and more people start seeing the ‘not fully supported’ messages you are getting, so if you intend to upgrade do it sooner rather than later whilst you can still get nearly what you paid for your HEX+CAN.

Edited by Gizmo
  • Like 1

My car is a 65 plate (190CR) and does not have a 4B controller but a 66 plate (150CR) Superb I coded does, as mine has the top spec lights (bi-xenon with SLA) I can only assume it’s a new addition on later cars?:

Address 4B: Multifunc. Module (J745)       Labels:* None
   Part No SW: 3Q0 907 338     HW: 3Q0 907 338 
   Component: FCM MQB Low   001 0285  
   Serial number: 19111610800605
   Coding: 000000020100066E06007F01000000000000000000000000000000000000
   Shop #: WSC 33361 790 00157
   ASAM Dataset: EV_MultiModulContiVW48X 001010
   ROD: EV_MultiModulContiVW48X_SK37.rod
   VCID: 72A81F94A5217AD68C-8026

Left Headlamp Power Output Stage: 
   Subsystem 1 - Part No SW: 4H0 941 329     HW: 4H0 941 329 
   Component: Leimo links  H02 0013 
   Coding: 000000

Right Headlamp Power Output Stage: 
   Subsystem 2 - Part No SW: 4H0 941 329     HW: 4H0 941 329 
   Component: Leimo rechts  H02 0013 
   Coding: 000000

No fault code found.

-----------------------------

Gizmo has that %100 correct.  The only thing I'll add is some Distributors can offer upgrade (trade-in) discounted pricing.  For that reason you may want to ping your dist (that looks like an Ilexa label) to see what they can offer.

I believe you'll see that 4B-Multifunc. Module in any of the latest 2018 factlifted cars with LED headlights.  For instance Andy's NAR (US market) 2018 A3 e-tron uses it but an older 2016 (pre-facelift with Xenon) A3 would not.  Ref scan: http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?12616-2018-Audi-A3-e-tron

• Thanks 2

Ok thanks, I’ll have a play over the weekend. 

Yes it it was indeed ilexa so i’ll message them if I have to change (don’t tell the wife lol!)

Edited by aldouk
  • Like 1

I'm having a similar error - but mine is frustrating, as I bought this HEX+CAN lead less than 2 years ago and have used it almost exclusively to make adaptations to my Octavia 3 vRS.

I'm now trying to make some changes to revert this coding to standard, but VCDS won't let me as it is attempting to send coding messages of over 256 bits, which it seemingly can't do. It's managed to do this before though....

Any ideas on how to get around this, other than finding someone with HEX-NET? I would understand if my current cable was unable to access newer controllers and was therefore becoming less useful, but having been used extensively on this car before just seems wrong to me!

That is odd if it worked perfectly fine before. 

Has the car car been in to a garage and had any update or something?

I can’t comment really as not used my cable before on my Suoerb, but on my 2015 Octy 3 it was perfect. 

Hi Tom,

If memory serves that was a bug in earlier VCDS versions, meaning ignorance was bliss.  When we realized that VW/Audi started using extremely long Adp value strings -and- the older Legacy interfaces (HEX-USB+CAN and Micro-CAN) could not modify Adaptation channels that exceed 256 byte lengths the warning was added to VCDS.  At that time we were able to make the newest HEX-NET and V2 interfaces capable of the modifications but we could not port that into the Legacy interfaces.

I'm pretty sure our awareness began in Beta 17.  For example, my '17 Alltrack maps do not have the byte size in this thread: http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?8917-2017-NAR-Golf-Alltrack

.. but this post (from another user) included the Byte size in his Adp maps and there were a LOT of 256 channels :

http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?12941-2018-Golf-GTI-Reference-Scan-(with-17-12-BETA)&p=117602&viewfull=1#post117602

In conclusion, we didn't take any functions/features away and I don't think an earlier VCDS version would have been capable of properly saving massive channels with a HUC. 

I see you recently joined our forum so feel free to post any factory condition maps/scans, the Coding and Adp logs found in the Debug folder in addition to the current configuration maps/scans there for review. 

Edited by Dana@Ross-Tech
can't spell :-)