Exhaust Leak?

sakta

Hi guys, quick question before I buy a vRS I've seen,

amongst other minor issues, I put my hand over the exhaust. Not only was it weak and did not push my hand away, the engine did not stall... so I'm guessing there is a leak somewhere. Is it something to worry about with the 1,8t VRS, and are there are any particular culprits like the manifold that might cause an exhaust leak? 

Not sure what price I should be paying as I dont want to buy another wreck again!

Thanks

23 minutes ago, vrsTom said:

Has it got a recent MOT? If it has a leak it should've been picked up on the MOT. If it doesn't have a recent MOT and has a possible exhaust leak then that's a couple of bargaining chips in your favour.

Well being impatient I bought it in the end, paid £550! I feel thats an amazing price seeing its condition, and it runs very well in all gears. MOT is clear, no advisories on the latest one, weirdly. 

No idea if anything is wrong in that case, I just thought that blocking an exhaust would make it stall in seconds

The guy said something about it being remapped but theres no documentation for any repairs or maps being done, so wondering how I can check.... 

That is cheap! What's the mileage and what colour?

Mine had an exhaust leak ages ago - it was between the mid and rear exhaust sections. It was hard to tell though as it wasn't very loud (probably down to being a turbo engine).

One way to check if it's been remapped would be to log the boost pressure, a search should tell you how and what to expect compared to a standard one. Otherwise you could try to meet up with another VRS owner and compare. Mine is not remapped but I have driven and been a passenger in remapped ones before.

Will do, I'll try check the boost pressure over OBD.

Its done 120K miles, in red, with the original VRS alloys. Needs a touch of tlc (tiny 1cm dent on bonnet, and wheels need refurb) but its great to be honest! I've only driven from the sellers house to mine, as still need to sort insurance/tax, but its mind-blowing compared to my old renault megane :biggrin: 

Although, the MOT before the current one had a gearbox oil leak as an advisory.... now its got no advisories, but I cant see any paperwork for any repair, so thats a bit annoying.

Edited by sakta