vRS Downpipe

sakta

Hi guys,

So a quick question, I'm sorta bored with rather quiet vRS exhaust noise. I don't have the money to buy a Piper exhaust etc, but will a straight downpipe (i.e. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STAINLESS-DECAT-EXHAUST-DE-CAT-PIPE-DOWNPIPE-FOR-SKODA-OCTAVIA-1-8T-AUM-AUQ-00/120912507554?hash=item1c26f272a2:g:WLwAAOSw32lY2O~W) change the noise?

Else, can I also, (or ONLY) remove the back box, fit a straight pipe, in line with a Sports cat, like this? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-5-EXHAUST-STAINLESS-STEEL-200-CELL-HIGH-FLOW-SPORTS-CAT-CATALYTIC-CONVETER-VA/330903127722?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D43782%26meid%3Dc3b3cf4d24404c4ead4364f9dea64cf9%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D202227576266%26itm%3D330903127722&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

As that removes the initial cat's, even with a stock exhaust can I expect a different exhaust note, and a little more grumble?  Or is the stock backbox too restrictive 

Thanks!

Edited by sakta

I've just put a 3" Toyo 2 piece decat on mine with the standard system and although it is a little deeper on acceleration there is very little difference other than the boost comes on a bit stronger.  It's still quiet.

You can get rid of the back box and straight pipe it with a sports cat but it will be fairly loud.  There are lots of Youtube clips of people doing it if you want to hear what it sounds like. 

Depends on what you want it to sound like. 

@sakta - OK, accepted that money is an issue, but removing the cat runs a risk of MoT failure, and still leaves a turbo (not normally considered a "silencer" but does take energy out of the exhaust gases) and 2 silencer boxes from manifold to outlet.

Ah, so it runs the risk of being a fart cannon and sounding a bit yobbish :) Didn't want to annoy the neighbours but would like a bit more engine growl if possible. Maybe its not the car for that sort of thing :P