Breather pipes.

Was told by my local garage that the erratic tickover on my 1.4mpi may be down to the fact that a couple of breather hoses from the engine top had gone really soft and were collapsing or may have a hole in them somewhere. He advised looking online and buying a set and fitting them myself as the cheapest option (I always use this garage, never overcharges and gives free advice). Can anyone give me any hose details, where I might buy them from, any other cars that use the same hoses. Cheers.   

Bear in mind that these engines had a lumpy tickover even when new. However I wouldn't describe it as erratic when it's running properly. Is your battery OK? My tickover was very lumpy when my battery was knackered due to the extra strain on the alternator.

Could try a new battery. I don`t know how old the one fitted is, I`ve only had the car 3 months. It starts ok but the tickover speed is approx. 900rpm and sounds like the engine is `hunting`( garage talk )

Would still like to fit new breather hoses though, the ones on are perished.

The large breather hose that goes to the rocker cover is 047103493F There is one on ebay...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VAICO-Cylinder-Head-Breather-V109767/162578373670?epid=650611181&hash=item25da6d1c26:g:JSkAAOSwg8taM1m9

It's not listing a part number for the small hose but I used 5mm vacuum tube which you can also get on ebay.

Edited by TMB

Thanks for that. The ebay order is done. It`s a sound little car. Bought it 3 months ago for £650, years mot,serviced and hardly a scratch on it. Did have to have the inside fumigated though, smoker and dog owner.  Daughter has just passed her test and my son is learning to drive in it. 

• Like 2

Hi, TMB.

Result. Fitted 2 new pipes as outlined in your photo, also fitted K+N air filter and now we have a smooth tickover. The ones I took off were badly perished, cracked in places and very soft and squidy in others.

• Like 2