Yeti Coolant Bottle - Mystery?

SimonAudi

Hi 

In the recent bad weather - my low coolant level warning light came on - as soon as engine warmed and liquid expands it went off.

So I manually checked the level to find it low (7K miles) - may have been low for a while (or ever)

However - I saw two plastic tubes floating inside - like a filter with what looks like crystals inside...

Anyone know what they are

IMG_0394[1].JPG

IMG_0395[1].JPG

IMG_0397[1].JPG

IMG_0399[1].JPG

Last photo

And just 4 fun my best 4 paw drive machine - who loves the snow

My Yeti DSG 4x4 with normal tyres was not  great in comparison to my old Shogun with proper 4 x 4 system locking diffs and low ratio...  got stuck many times in snow.... Winter tyres will be bought later in the year for next year..

IMG_0336[1].JPG

IMG_0398[1].JPG

Edited by SimonAudi
  • Like 1

There is no outlet for a filter - both ends are blocked off - that was my first thought too - and that they had popped out of there location..  but not that I can see

"Coolant Expansion Tank with Silicate Repository

The coolant expansion tank contains a silicate repository. Silicate is used to protect the aluminum components in the coolant
system from corrosion. There are silicates in the G13 coolant, but they are used up over time if the engine is subject to high
thermal loads.
To compensate for the silicate consumption, silicate is taken from the repository and added to the coolant. The silicate
repository provides additional protection against corrosion for the aluminum components in the coolant system over the entire
lifespan of the engine. "

From here: http://forums.ross-tech.com/showthread.php?8529-Found-these-swimming-in-coolant-reservoir

• Thanks 2

Wino and Clive

THANK YOU!!!

First time i have come across this - I checked my wife's Citigo before I posted and it did not have them.

Mystery Solved!!

• Like 2