Early Fuel Fill-up Reactions

Picked up my new Superb yesterday and decided to fill the tank on the way back home.

As a company car driver with a fuel card I was asked the registration xx18 xxx and then the mileage so replied 121.

I got a confused look and was then asked 'Is that 121,000?' 

This was in contrast to when I got my Superb estate two years ago.

It was the end of March and when I gave my registration xx16 xxx they gave me a look to say Oh a new car. When they asked for the mileage I said 1700.

Their reply was 'Oh that's a lot in a month' so I told them that I picked it up on the 11th, so had only had it a couple of weeks. They looked even more surprised.

This made me wonder what reactions other people had got.

• Like 1

Situation 1) Not with a new car - but I got a reaction when I got more than 20 gallons in a Ford Zodiac IV 3.0  (Was 19 gals but always managed a bit more). Guy behind counter said how much! - I lied saying sorry forgot to turn it off, it was gaining on me!  Saying that even on a long run you only got late teens mpg - imagine that now!

Situation 2) Pulled into a garage with the same car where they filled it up for you (us of a certain age - remember those days?) and after many minutes the attendant knocked on the window and asked for help finding the fill flap. On this car it was built into the light cluster running the full width of the car!

Zodiac.jpg

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 1

Many years ago in a filling station in Aviemore in Scotland in the days when the attendant filled the car for you, the car was a Vauxhall Magnum 2300 which was basically an HC Viva with a large engine in it and a 12-gallon fuel tank instead of the standard HC's 8-gallon. The attendant gets to 8-gallons and starts looking underneath the vehicle to see where the leak was lol, I told him that he'll probably get 10-gallons in it and he did just about. Left the garage with a very bemused attendant scratching his head :D

8 hours ago, Prykey said:

..the car was a Vauxhall Magnum 2300..

Cool car. My uncle was service manager for a Vauxhall dealer and tooled around in one of those for a while :)

• Like 1