Wheel Hop similar to 'Axel Tramp' under load

Hi All,

I've had a 2006 VRS Mk2 for a couple of months now, and noticed a really bad banging/jumping from the front when accelerating hard & breaking traction. 

For the sake of this post let's say I am on a drag strip, thus avoiding discussion about the highway code etc:

Under maximum acceleration from standing the car feels like when the driven wheels start to loose traction, they bounce and immediately regain traction 2-3 times per second- producing a SEVERE jumping / juddering in the cabin with continuous banging sound...

-If I disable the traction control it is marginally better, but still does it badly.

-If I accelerate on dry road / without any wheelsping the car behaves fine

-In the wet it is extremely noticeable, e.g. immediate if accelerating hard enough to induce any level wheelspin, through 1st and 2nd gear.. or if the Turbo kicks in at such a time as to break traction mid range.

-If I wheelspin in snow the wheelspins are 'normal' .. so suspect too little traction to cause the 'hop'

-It is definitely wheel / suspension related as the RPM & engine increase normally through the range.

-The front Shocks & springs look fine on inspection and handling is otherwise normal. ( I do have some -50mm springs on order to stiffen things up further)

I would like to add that I have absolutely no interest in producing wheel spins, but am using this to higlight the problem... ( would just like to be able to get the power down without the car making this horrific noise!!)

Has anybody experienced this problem and have any advice on a fix?

Many Thanks

R

Could be wishbone rear bushes. Changed mine out and the issues you described were sorted, now need to replace the lower engine sub frame bush where the dog bone mount bolts onto. 

Edited by Kadaffi86

On 16/03/2018 at 11:54, MicMac said:

Wishbone bushes perhaps.

On 16/03/2018 at 15:58, Kadaffi86 said:

Could be wishbone rear bushes. Changed mine out and the issues you described were sorted, now need to replace the lower engine sub frame bush where the dog bone mount bolts onto. 

Thanks a lot guys will take a look at the bushes!

lower Control arm console bushes as stated above.  You should fit Audi S3 units as they are a bit less sloppy.

plus the engine mount bush under the car.  You can buy an insert bush of varying  duro (sponginess).  Better still, there are replacement upgraded bushes

plus the dampers are probably getting a bit tired by now...

plus the weight of the lower control arms (you can get alloy ones

plus the weight of the wheels

plus the stickiness of the tyre

The axle tramp less with traction control switched off.  I'll often turn it off if I want a quick start off the lights.

Basically, these things axle tramp really badly.  You can improve it but it will never go away.