Service query Fab mkiii

Hi guys.

Got my new Skoda and on the latest service before collection that my dealer did, under Air-Con it says Requires a re-gas, I only noticed this after a few days. Spoke to dealer and asked if they had done it. Of course 'yes' was the reply, but when I asked why didn't it say so on the service sheet? or can I have a copy if the re-gas work sheet, I got flannel back including data protection on last owners name.

Can I have your thoughts please guys

Enjoy the new car, but check what you were told is true.

Because otherwise you do not know the true Service History for future Servicing and Maintenance.

Did you speak to the Dealer Principal or who was it. Service Desk employees or An-other?

Email the 'Dealer Principal',  the person responsible for their staff and to their customers and ask if a Technician Re-gassed the A/C, and then they can confirm in writing if done.

As to Data Protection then let them protect the innocent / people / ex owners personal details/ employees personal details,  not their names though, 

but they have a duty to you to be honest and open, and that means not using Data Protection to cover up lies from 

employees.

Edited by AwaoffSki

Standard practice, if you did not pay why should they provide you with paperwork. that is between the garage and the owner at the time who paid the bill.

I always pass on all the receipts when I chop a car in, makes me suspicious when owners don't.

They are not expected to provide a copy of a customers invoice and credit card details.

Just print off the Skoda / VW Service and Warranty work info held on the system. 

As that is all owners can get, what is put on the system.  That is not a Data Protection problem for the owner of the used vehicles, 

that is the system VW Group / Skoda went over to. 

Full Main Dealer Service History requires a Main Dealer or seller of a Skoda Approved Used Vehicle to provide that Full Service History, 

and stop being like 'Kerb Side Auto's', Dodgy Dealers.

• Thanks 1

All I'm asking for is documentary evidence to show work was done. They seem to have an odd he with that, As for Data protection. they didn't seem to mind leaving details of the previous owners details in the Handbook folder, which has receipts in.

• Like 1

On 18/03/2018 at 14:27, Yatesey said:

All I'm asking for is documentary evidence to show work was done. They seem to have an odd he with that, As for Data protection. they didn't seem to mind leaving details of the previous owners details in the Handbook folder, which has receipts in.

So you have the receipts which were handed over by the previous owner. If there is no record of A/C work it was probably never carried out.

But is the A/C working? If it is why should there be an issue.

Is the car still within its 3 year warranty, if so could complain its not drying air properly (not quite as easy to say its not chilling air in current temperatures) and ask for warranty work to fix

Remember under new selling laws, dealers are responsible for faults that were present (or developing) for first 6 months.   The law was changed so consumers don't have to prove the fault to claim, instead the seller has to prove fault didn't exist to defend

Honest John link below, with your rights

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/consumer-rights/

Edited by SurreyJohn

I think, reading between the lines is, all that has happened here is, when that car was in for its last service, the usual "cover my bottom/get more work in" comment(s) have been made, and that will always include "AC needs servicing" - I'd bet a lot of money that they did not carry out a performance test on that system, they are just going but what the trade thinks it can get off with - ie wants you to stump up for them removing the gas charge, weighing it, vacn'g it out and reloading with the specified weight of R134A.

I'm lucky as I have a manifold set and some R134 and am legally qualified to play with these systems, so every 2 years I try to remember to, on a suitably sunny and warm day, run a performance test on the AC systems of my cars - and record the findings to compare with next year, as all I'll be doing when the performance has dropped by some as yet not decided level (running pressures and minimum temperature from outlets), I'll add in some R134A to return things to where they were last year.

I should have included the fact that it is well known that all car AC systems do lose a small amount of R134A refrigerant across seals and flexible pipes, so after so many years, the system could need "replenished" to bring the weight of the refrigerant back up to the specified weight, this is why dealerships try to get you to request that they do other, chargeable work on your car, typically if you have not noticed that the chiller performance has dropped much, then just ignore that comment.

They should also be making comments about wiper blades as well, again based on average usage forcing the need for new wipers every 2 years.

Edit:- in time they will say that the brakes need servicing, which the brakes will need unless you do that work yourself.

Edited by rum4mo

2 hours ago, SurreyJohn said:

Is the car still within its 3 year warranty, if so could complain its not drying air properly (not quite as easy to say its not chilling air in current temperatures) and ask for warranty work to fix

Remember under new selling laws, dealers are responsible for faults that were present (or developing) for first 6 months.   The law was changed so consumers don't have to prove the fault to claim, instead the seller has to prove fault didn't exist to defend

Honest John link below, with your rights

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/consumer-rights/

Cheers John.

good to know

On 20/03/2018 at 09:14, skidpan said:

So you have the receipts which were handed over by the previous owner. If there is no record of A/C work it was probably never carried out.

But is the A/C working? If it is why should there be an issue.

If the A/C Was working properly, why woukd they recommend a re-gas on service?

If you read my posting above you might see why, ie without testing/fault finding that AC system, the garage will know that there is a possibility that it has lost some of its R134A charge through expected leakage across seals and flexible pipes - so, a good time to upsell and encourage you to get them to service it.

Edited by rum4mo
  • Like 1

Yatsey, ?

But was that a Technician recommending a Re-gas or the person on the Service Desk that recommends a A/C Service at 2 years, 

and often has no idea why other than 'Up-selling'.

The Service bumf on what is done says a A/C Check. 

Well that seldom happens.   

EDIT, Sorry post as the above post came on.

Checking heating and A/C might be if the car is ever at operating temperature and on a Road Test, 

which again might not happen, then the Interior temps are taken, not just what the Diagnostic machine shows,

if that is ever used.

http://skoda.co.uk/finance-and-offers/service-and-maintenance/simply-fixed 

Edited by AwaoffSki

When I bought the car on 08.03 The last service( 24.02) by the dealer selling the car said 're-gas' recommended. I asked for documentary proof that this has been done. That's where the flannel started etc.. .

When I said was the A/C done. The salesman said yeah. I asked for the work sheet or something to show that the work had been done, for my records, waffle waffle. The point is on the 24.02 it was recommended and should have been done as part of a retail prep IMHO. 

3 hours ago, Yatesey said:

If the A/C Was working properly, why woukd they recommend a re-gas on service?

I can only think of one reason and that is to make money.

That is why I said if its working OK where is the issue.

One reason would be, 

If just done then it will be another 2 years until the Service Desk Up-seller says,  A/C service recommended ever 2 years.

I had my old 55 plate Fabia estate for 10 years and had the a/c serviced  once. When I went in for my 2nd service last year the pre service letter I got implied the a/c must be serviced rang garage to find its only advisory so declined. Customer at next desk was having the frighteners put on to have the a/c serviced for £80 which they accepted. I have an automatic button on the heating options that runs the heating and the a/c at the same time to regulate the cabin temp and at the same time keeping the a/c seals oiled Joe

My old Passat B5 (1999) never had the Aircon serviced (had car from new) - and it was on all of the time.  Had the car out a few weeks ago (because I still have it!) - and it still works OK !!

• Like 1