help with wheels please

i have a kodiaq on order and i want to change the elbrus 18" wheels immediately

ive never done anything like this before so i dont have a clue

ive heard that bigger wheels has to mean lower profile tyres otherwise the speedo wont work correctly  and that lower profile wheels means a more uncomfortable ride??

I know the tyres need to be lower to allow the wheel to fit in the arch but the arch looks pretty big.....

I would like as big wheels as possible really without paying stupid money for tyres and ideally without a very uncomfortable ride and without risk to the car, if anyone could advise me or point me in the right direction i would be grateful.

I am also curious. If i went for say 20" wheels, can i put larger tyres on  (that still clear the wheel arch) and just program the car to let it know that the wheel radius has changed in order for the speedo to still work properly?

thanks

Skoda has chosen to equip the Kodiaq with 19 inch wheels and has done so for a specific reason.

By all means change them for 20 or 21 inch wheels with the appropriate tyres, but before doing so please consider the warranty, and the handling ability before using the vehicle on or off road.

Welcome to the forum prof3ssor, and have a GREAT time with the new Kodiaq,

4 minutes ago, Macdemon said:

Skoda has chosen to equip the Kodiaq with 19 inch wheels and has done so for a specific reason.

By all means change them for 20 or 21 inch wheels with the appropriate tyres, but before doing so please consider the warranty, and the handling ability before using the vehicle on or off road.

Welcome to the forum prof3ssor, and have a GREAT time with the new Kodiaq,

Thanks 

haven’t they equipped the sportline with 20 though?

would this mean at least 20 is ok 

thanks 

20 minutes ago, prof3ssor said:

Thanks 

thanks 

Indeed the sport line is equipped with 20” wheels and it would be an easy upgrade to fit sportline 20” wheels with 235x45 tyres.

1 hour ago, Kenny R said:

Just put your current wheel tyre size and what size you intend to fit in this calculator and it will tell you if the new size is in tolerance.

https://www.willtheyfit.com/

Thabks for the site 

it gives the error for the speedometer if you change the wheels 

map do you just bear this error in mind or is there a way to adjust the speedo to work accurately with the new wheels ?

The difference between 235x55x18 and the 235x45x20 is 0.53% so where you 18’s would read 30mph the 20” wheels would read 29.84 mph well within tolerance. 

3 hours ago, prof3ssor said:

Thanks 

thanks 

The external circumference is similar on all the wheel sizes, if the metal is smaller, the tyre sidewall is bigger.

Some people like the look of bigger wheels and less tyres.   Apart from looks there are generally only downsides : including tyres that wear quicker; tyres more expensive to replace; a harsher ride (less rubber to absorb road imperfections); greater chance of wheel (or suspension) damage if you hit a pothole; and higher emissions so possibly more tax.

in countries with well maintained billiard table smooth roads, big wheels work.  In UK anything less than 50 tyres is likely to break or buckle as soon as you hit a very big hole at speed.    

But its your money, your choice, just don’t expect long life from 20 inch wheels / tyres

20" SportLine (Vega)...

DSC_1312-kopie.JPG-768x513.jpg.21d829678727e0823d297850c189c8de.jpg

19" SE L / Edition (Sirius)...

2017-skoda-kodiaq-price-set-from-21495-677900-k_3.thumb.jpg.69868f5ba8c08e2b92aecfa6b04cfa7f.jpg

19" Scout (Crater)...

skoda-kodiaq-sportline-and-scout-show-show-carbon-and-wood-interiors-in-geneva_9.thumb.jpg.00d273081d47c2734b98381e516b580b.jpg

18" S / SE (Elbrus)...

skoda-kodiaq-squared-wheel-arch.jpg.446ae973c93eb89239f2ecbc1e055b04.jpg

The 19" alloys offer an ideal compromise between aesthetics / comfort & pothole protection for me.

Edited by silver1011

Thank you’d for being so helpful 

sorry for being so ameteur 

So if I went for 20inch wheels but with a 50 profile instead of 45 the only downside is the speedo will read wrong or is their downsides to the car/suspension due to the wheels overall diameter being larger ?

You'll have no issues with fouling of the bodywork, and to be fair the speedo inaccuracy will be negligible.

The biggest issue is that it's a non approved wheel and tyre combination which is likely to offer potential insurance issues.

If that's of little concern then go for it!

wow thanks

i have so little knowledge on this stuff

i didn't realise there was non approved wheel and tyre combinations

so approved wheel and tyre combos basically mean with every inch of the wheel increase you reduce the profile by 5mm otherwise its non standard?

thanks so much again

'Approved' means recommended by Skoda.

Skoda will test a number of wheel and tyre combinations, anything outside of these would be classed as non-approved and would therefore be frowned upon by your insurance company.

These are all listed inside the fuel filler flap, so ideally we need an owner to take a picture for us! 

i have an insurance quote on confused .com where i have put in Non standard wheels is that the same as non approved combination??

the quotes weren't really more expensive when i did that 

Hmm, I don't think so. Non-standard would be a change from Elbrus to the Trinity or Triton, or perhaps more likely to a larger size alloy fitted to other Kodiaq models, that whilst not standard on your model are available elsewhere in the range.

Non-approved would refer to any wheel or tyre combination that Skoda don't make available for the Kodiaq, i.e. a Kodiaq alloy but with a tyre size that isn't currently available via Skoda.

Right...

so so if I fit 20 inch wheels from another site that says they fit the kodiaq and I put the right tyre size in the same as the sportline 

will that affect warranty and will that be insurable 

it it looks like something a lot of people have done ? 

Thanks again 

Both non-standard and non-approved are insurable, anything is insurable at a cost :)

The insurance company and Skoda (warranty) will be looking for approved wheels and tyres and will likely be less bothered about the wheel or tyre manufacturer.

Therefore, if you bought some genuine Skoda 20" Vega alloys and fitted 235/45 R20 tyres then these would be classed as non-standard and as long as you let the insurance company know will be unlikely to affect the premium.

Same goes for aftermarket (non-genuine) alloys. As long as the offset matches the OEM Vega you'll be fine.

The issue will arise if you fit a higher profile tyre than the 40 that Skoda have approved. It will be insurable but the set-up is non-approved which might make some insurers cgarge you a premium, or not agree to insure you at all.

For what its worth the tyres fitted to my Skoda Superb pictured above are non-standard and non-approved.

Thabks again for some great information and taking the time to reply

you have really helped me out here 

there is so little straight forward guidance online 

so did your premium go up significantly?

is your warranty void ? Or is it passed that age ?

can you point me in some direction towards where I will get decent 20’ rims or would u recommend sticking with Skoda ?

ive seen in here the rookie saying the actual Skoda wheels are cheap from “TPS”?? 

My insurance premium didn't change at all, make of that what you will ;)

The old girl is a 2011 model and has 140,000 miles on it, the warranty is long gone.

The Vega is also available in 19", you can pick them up here for €275 EUR / £240 each, buying from Skoda in the Czech Republic can often be cheaper than TPS...

https://eshop.skoda-auto.sk/eshop/en/b2c/kolesax#https%3A%2F%2Feshop.skoda-auto.sk%2Feshop%2FCategoryOnlyResultsDisplayView%3FpageView%3Dimage%26catalogId%3D10051%26displayMode%3Ddepartment%26showHero%3Dfalse%26categoryId%3D10025%26categoryId%3D10025%26langId%3D-1%26storeId%3D10001%26identifier%3D1521749416914

It's your lucky day though, there is a full set of brand new 20" Vega's WITH tyres delivered for £1,900 from a Skoda main dealer here. You should get at least half that back by selling your Elbrus alloys and tyres, making the cost to change around £950...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKODA-KODIAQ-20-VEGA-ALLOY-WHEELS-WITH-TYRES-BRAND-NEW-GENUINE/183076499730?hash=item2aa035b112:g:C-AAAOSwUd9ahXq3

I assume your Elbrus will be sold with tyres, and brand new ones at that?

£240 for a brand new 18" alloy and brand new 18" premium tyre doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

You could try selling them here first...

https://www.briskoda.net/forums/forum/333-wheels-tyres-for-sale/

Keep an eye on these, if they sell for the asking price then it'll give you a fair idea what yours might fetch...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SET-GENUINE-SKODA-KODIAQ-18-18-ALLOY-WHEELS-TYRES-BRAND-NEW-TRINITY/282887641963?hash=item41dd6adb6b:g:MIkAAOSwwohZ4f~v

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Greetings,

I' bought kodiaq 2018, also I would like to change the wheel rim to 20"

But in my country not available the 234/45/20

Do you think

235/55/20

Or

245/50/20

Will fit?

IMG_20190418_162920.jpg