Rapid 1.2 TSI 105 Buying Advice

dan4280

Hi

I'm looking to buy a 4-5 year old Rapid 1.2 with the 105 PS engine. Any general buying advice for this vehicle? I've also read a few things about rattling timing chains on this engine - was this solved on engines produced 2013 onward?

Thanks

As far as I'm aware by 2013 all the latest mods were done to the 1.2 8v tsi  EA111 , although check for maintenance history. ANY cam chain engines (some would argue any engine!)  must have regular oil changes so 10k service intervals are the best! From cold a very brief / quiet rattle is normal whilst oil pressure builds up.

The later 1.2 16v tsi EA211 engine is totally different and available from about 2015 - the earlier engine has the oil filter high up on the engine (front left) and the later engine has the oil filter mounted low down.

I have a 2014 1.4 16v tsi (1.2 was 8v!) EA111 engine which is one of the last made. Thus far(56k miles) it's been great, powerful, economical and thus far has burnt very little oil (doen't need topping up between 10k services)

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 1

Given a choice I'd have a 1.4 as well. but they're like hens teeth.

Get the newest one you can for sure.

The 2012/13 Hatchbacks have inferior suspension and steering giving poor ride and handling, along with poverty specs too.

They also came with hatchbacks that didn't seal closed amongst other faults.

Spacebacks and 2014-on Hatchbacks are mechanically better and have a bit more kit. 

SEAT Toledos are mechanically identical but have more extras.

The 1.2 105 is the sweetest little 4 cylinder I've driven, but don't buy if it has been on long-life or variable servicing (every 18000-ish) - mine was and the turbo needed replacement at 26000.

You can look back through the forums but there were quite a few widespread faults even up to 2014. The noisy hatch door, creaky suspension etc. I think post 2014 the quality seems to be better judging by the reduction in complaints on here.

I traded my mint, loaded, 34000 mile 2014 Toledo 1.2 and it resold instantly off a dealers forecourt six months ago with a sticker of £7690 so chop a bit of discount off that and you know roughly what to pay. Good spec (+Nav) low miles 2014 1.2 TSI Toledos start at £6300 on autotrader today. Similar 2014 1.2TSI Rapids from £7200 

Edited by camelspyyder
  • Like 2