More dealings with SUK

Having made a complaint to SUK last year regarding issues with my sportline with a creaky and rattling sunroof as the main issue and local dealers inability to rectify this issue i did think what the hell forget it. Its only a car and £35k list price doesnt buy quality within skoda.

This year as the sunroof truly creaks more than the mary rose i have decided to ressurect the complaint at SUK. I am very reluctant to have major surgery done on the car but feel i have little choice as no doubt this issue will not get any better and most likely get worse over time. Shame that due to skodas poor build quality initally its left at times to poorly trained techs to rectify these lapses in quality. Unfortunately that in the era of guided fault finding these such issues are somewhat difficult for techs to resolve.  But fingers crossed anyway that now using a new dealer they will fix the problem especially as i have pinpointed the sources of the problem. 

Its a real blight on the car and for that i would never recommend a sunroof as an option. You are relying so much on perfect build quality at the factory and from hearsay and my observations the factory cannot deliver that consitent quality.

I liked this car. Still think it looks spot on for a large saloon in the age of fat cars (SUV) which are more fashionable. Personally for style in sportline trim or above its easily ahead of the current passat, and looks as good as the new A4. 

Hopefully the dealer will get it fixed but as another member ironically commented once on this forum courtesy cars are a common part of skoda ownership.

Heres hoping it all gets fixed and SUK does not bill me for work!

I hope it does get sorted for you as it must be very frustrating.

However, I would like to make one point in response to your comment about quality.

If you look at forums for other marques you will see just as much angst for cars that cost a lot more than a Skoda. For example, just try googling 'creaking sun roof' and see how many examples come up for just that issue. Quite a few 'quality' marques in the results.

As you say what is important is the after sales service and the willingness/ability to resolve problems when they arise. That is where the quality issue lies not with the production unit.

It's tough to accept when you have shelled out wads but some faults are inevitable with any mass produced car so there is an element of luck with any of them.

I have had nothing but excellent support from my local people but clearly I have been luckier than you in both the lack of significant issues and resolution of those that did appear.

I hope you get it resolved with Skoda UK

Like @sagalout I hope you get your problem (s) sorted out.

However, whilst there are a few people on the Forum who have had problems with their car, it would seem that the vast majority are happy with the Superb 3, I certainly am. 

With mass produced cars, there will always be a few that are not as perfect as the new owner would like. These need dealer rectification, or if in too bad a condition, rejection under the law. That does not mean that the general build quality of the car is poor. It just means that out of the very large number built, a few get through the quality check with problems. It happens to all manufacturers no matter the selling price. That does not, however,  reduce the frustration if you happen to get one of these less than satisfactory cars.

My own experience of current Skodas is that whilst materials are not up to Audi standards, build quality is just as good, design and engineering as good or better in some cases, and the car is a lot cheaper.

• Like 2

SUK have called back and arranged that the 'new' dealer to look at this problem in depth. Not once did SUK quote the 6 month warranty expiration (thus all work is at my cost) as they did last year.

Fingers crossed it gets sorted to an acceptable standard but im already looking beyond this car to my next purchase/lease.

I've given up with SUK, indeed VAG in general.    Bits dropped off my 3 month old S3 220 estate after 3000 miles, cost me 60 ish quid to have fixed, not a lot I know but on a brand new car? Neither the supplying dealer or SUK have accepted responsibility for the cost.    Shame I have had much more important personal issues to deal with, but SUK and the Dealer not replying to emails has driven me away   Never Again.

Edited by quartofale
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry, just read this..........!     

Paid for in cash with p/x on the old one.   

Would cost me as much through small claims court as I spent.

Very nasty taste left, though, so no more VAG for me !!

• 1 month later...

After 4 visits to dealers to resolve a creaking and rattling sunroof, following the last visit the dealer has failed to rectify the issue. They attempted to resolve by partially removing the headlining but to no joy.

The dealer now informs me that to go any further with this issue could be at my cost even though the car is still within warranty. 

A fault that has been present since purchase (car was 6 months old) and reported soon after collection. 

Poor show all-around. Before the fastest bookworm quotes the 6 month rattle warranty at me im already aware. The dealers have already attempted to fix this outside of the so called warranty so it appears to be discretionary.

Cars had many other issues to and its a 66 plate with 9k.

Oil leak from filler cap. Sorted 

Creaking centre console. Sorted

Drivers door glass rattling. Attempted but still rattles.

Dsg gearbox jerking when changing. Assured its all ok.

Any ideas whats the best way forward?

I gave mine back and am buying a BMW again.  I found my local Dealer simply did not have the technical ability to maintain my car,  and the Service Manager totally disinterested.  So different from the way things were in the early 2000s when they were all run like a family business and customer care mattered.

I sort of considered that BMW were above my budget but having spent almost £40k between this superb and my prior Octavia maybe the BMW option would have better better. 

At least it would have been 'premium'.

A total standard 5-series without leather, sat-nav, electric seats, adaptive cruise etc etc etc is not premium (to me at least). Only the price is premium.

On 13/06/2018 at 08:04, GaSelle said:

A total standard 5-series without leather, sat-nav, electric seats, adaptive cruise etc etc etc is not premium (to me at least). Only the price is premium.

And, at least with the Superb, people will let you out of junctions – priceless :D

On 12/06/2018 at 17:31, Whenwillilearn said:

The dealer now informs me that to go any further with this issue could be at my cost even though the car is still within warranty. 

A fault that has been present since purchase (car was 6 months old) and reported soon after collection. 

Cars had many other issues to and its a 66 plate with 9k.

Confused.

The car is under warranty?

The dealer has acknowledged the fault is there i.e. can hear the creaking?

Drop the car off, take a courtesy car home and ask them to call you when they've fixed it, under warranty.

What am I missing?

5 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

Confused.

The car is under warranty?

The dealer has acknowledged the fault is there i.e. can hear the creaking?

Drop the car off, take a courtesy car home and ask them to call you when they've fixed it, under warranty.

What am I missing?

Under warranty - yes.

Dealer has acknowledged fault.

The car has been at a dealer 4 times to fix. All times unsuccessful. 

Have driven numerous courtesy cars in the process. 

At the mere hint by the dealer that there would be any cost to you would have resulted in me asking to see the dealer principle.

Replace the whole sunroof if they have to, just fix it and stop inconveniencing me by making me liaise with Skoda UK and make repeated visits to the dealer.

Time to dig in.

On 16/06/2018 at 22:13, Whenwillilearn said:

Trust me i am.

I gained £1500 cash compensation from Skoda for another equally poor vehicle due to pathetic quality but more importantly for my wasted time dealing with it.

If I had that much trouble with a car I wouldn't have bought another one...

• Thanks 1