Time from Emden

Roughly how long does it take for a car to get from Emden to here? I purchased on Wednesday of last week and the car was in Emden as a stock car. I dropped some paperwork to the dealer today and the bear is still in Emden. Dealer didn't know when it would get transported to the UK.

I get impatient easily!

Lol, I’m watching ships leave Emden and hoping mines on there somewhere :)

I am waiting on one arriving to Sheerness. https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/data/?asset_type=arrivals_departures&columns=shipname,port_name,move_type,ata_atd,origin_port_name,ship_type&port_in|begins|EMDEN|port_in=175&port_in|begins|SHEERNESS|port_in=198&ship_type_in|in|Cargo Vessels|ship_type_in=7

Skoda chat have said 7-10 days to make it onto a ship once released for shipping (normally). 

Edited by exFiesta
Spelling

Define "here"...

Cars can sit at Emden for as little as a couple of days, or as long as a couple of weeks in my experience (although I have heard of longer). It is then a couple of days on the ship to the UK, then it can sit at the port of entry for anything up to a week or so, then a day to the dealer, then a few days for the dealer to PDI etc.

So, anything from about a week if the Gods are smiling on you and you have made the correct sacrifices... up to around 4 weeks or so. Most commonly, I would suggest about 2 weeks is the usual amount of time for the car to get from Emden to the dealer, and it usually takes around a week or so to get to Emden from the factory, giving you the 3-4 weeks in total from factory > dealer.

Yogi got from factory to dealer in 2.5 weeks, but I think I must have pleased the Gods somewhere for that to happen.

1 hour ago, exFiesta said:

Lol, I’m watching ships leave Emden and hoping mines on there somewhere :)

I am waiting on one arriving to Sheerness. https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/data/?asset_type=arrivals_departures&columns=shipname,port_name,move_type,ata_atd,origin_port_name,ship_type&port_in|begins|EMDEN|port_in=175&port_in|begins|SHEERNESS|port_in=198&ship_type_in|in|Cargo Vessels|ship_type_in=7

Skoda chat have said 7-10 days to make it onto a ship once released for shipping (normally). 

This link is all very good, but how do we find out which ship our car is on???

1 minute ago, Macdemon said:

This link is all very good, but how do we find out which ship our car is on???

I believe the dealer has access to that info once it is assigned.  Not sure about ŠKODA Customer services, on chat, they told me their system may not be completely up to date, so to check with the retailer.

Ooh, so many questions!

Emden, as in northern Germany?

Seems an unusual port to ship out of, or is this the main VAG port, so is placed for VW and Audi manufactured vehicles?

I'd heard Emden mentioned before, but had assumed it was in the Netherlands or Belgium somewhere, closer to Rotterdam or Zeebrugee.

How do Skoda's get from the plant in the Czech Republic to Emden, via train or road?

Do all Skoda ships from Emden to Sheerness, or are there more northerly ports? I'm sure my 2008 Octavia was PDI'd at a dealer in Grimsby before heading straight to Milton Keynes as a Skoda HQ car, so I assumed Grimsby was the port of entry into the UK.

Does the guy in Emden look at where in the UK the car is destined for, and therefore decides which ship/port would reduce the road transportation in the UK, i.e. a car destined for a Scottish dealer is routed to a northern rather than southern UK port?

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, silver1011 said:

Ooh, so many questions!

Emden, as in northern Germany?

Seems an unusual port to ship out of, or is this the main VAG port, so is placed for VW and Audi manufactured vehicles?

I'd heard Emden mentioned before, but had assumed it was in the Netherlands or Belgium somewhere, closer to Rotterdam or Zeebrugee.

How do Skoda's get from the plant in the Czech Republic to Emden, via train or road?

Do all Skoda ships from Emden head to Sheerness, or are there more northerly ports? I'm sure my 2008 Octavia was PDI'd at a dealer in Grimsby before heading straight to Milton Keynes as a Skoda HQ car, so I assumed Grimsby was the port of entry into the UK.

Does the guy in Emden look at where in the UK the car is destined for, and therefore decides which ship/port would reduce the road transportation in the UK, i.e. a car destined for a Scottish dealer is routed to a northern rather than southern UK port?

https://www.skoda-storyboard.com/en/company/skoda-way-customers/

might help with some of those questions :)

• Like 3

No worries, the ports I’ve seen mentioned on here in old threads are Tyne, Grimbsy and Sheerness for the UK.  With deliveries by mostly by ‘... Highway’ ships and occasionally ‘City of ...’ ships.

its a way to fill the time, other than re-watching YouTube videos or doing something productive :)

then there’s a bit of a wait as wiggosideburns said - for uk transport and pdi 

Edited by exFiesta
Spelling again

So what's the procedure as regards order of shipping? As my Kodiaq was a "stock" car albeit not ordered by any particular dealer, would it have sat in Emden until a dealer sold it, or would it have come to the UK at some point, in which case where would it have sat?

Does it now being sold mean it will get any priority with transport to the UK Vs unsold cars?

Does the ship carry just Skoda on its crossing, or a mix of VAG group vehicles, or indeed a general mix?

So many questions, sorry!

Your car is probably sat at Enden awaiting a space on a ship. VAG usually ships to the port nearest your dealer. As your car is in the docks it should go on the next ship that’s going to your dealers area that has space.

Ships carry any of the VAG group cars. So you could find your car being on the same ship as some exotic models.

2 hours ago, Jfhuk said:

Your car is probably sat at Enden awaiting a space on a ship. VAG usually ships to the port nearest your dealer. As your car is in the docks it should go on the next ship that’s going to your dealers area that has space.

Ships carry any of the VAG group cars. So you could find your car being on the same ship as some exotic models.

My understanding is that mine will come to Sheerness. Dealer is Winchester Motor Company.

When's the next Emden- Sheerness boat ⛵?

I'm not actually expecting anybody to be able to answer that but you never know!

21 hours ago, exFiesta said:

Makassar Highway on its way back to Sheerness soon, hopefully the Kodiaq will hitch a ride :)

Well, there was another ship before this one, Paglia, due at 20:30 today - with any luck yours is on there @Mark1982 :)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mark1982 said:

How did you find this out?

Had a brief chat with ŠKODA customer service through their online chat this morning.  Available 8am to 8pm on the ŠKODA uk contact us page ;)