Lowering springs and OE shocks

Right. I purchased a set of lowering springs for my Mk1 vRS  (2nd Hand) - I was already aware of the possible implications of using them with OE shocks, especially on the front, and the resulting bouncy ride, lol.

I will be getting a proper kit in the near future (wedding coming up, so if I order it now you can guess the reaction I will get) probably the Vogtland kit, unless something comes up cheaper off one breaking locally of course.

Now, can I add a spacer between number 14 & 19 to increase the tension on the spring, thus reducing the bounce? Will it affect the ride height doing this? In my mind, it shouldn't until it gets to a certain point, as the preload on the spring will allow so much before it starts to rise again. So, if I measure the compressed length of the spring with the weight of the car on it, then work out the length of spacer required, I should be able to reduce the bounce temporarily?

(BTW, number 28 on the picture is an actual spacer for vehicles with rough road suspension)

shock.JPG

14 hours ago, butchvrs said:

A bouncy ride is normally caused by shot shock absorbers and nothing to do with the spring.

Brand new OE shocks with less than 6k miles on them. I know the problem, basically it's the spring preload. As the replacement springs are shorter, there was no need to compress them with the spring compressor to get the top spring plate on. This has led to the incorrect preload - hence the thought of using a spacer under the bearing to increase it. The best way I can think of at the moment is to double up the top spring plate, increasing the preload on the spring (and hence alter the response of the shocks).

• 1 month later...