Window regulator panel fitting

Hi,

I need a little help. I was replacing my front drivers window motor on my mk1 2004 TDI and made one turn too many on one of the screws attaching the motor to the regulator behind, breaking off two of the plastic 'prongs' that the window motor screws into! 

There seems to be no other option but to buy a new regulator panel. 

Can anyone send me detailed instructions or a link on how to take off the old and how to fit a new one.

The f**ker is riveted on so wanted to know alternative ways to fit the new one on, would self tapping screws or rivnuts work for this?

Also I've read that sealant is needed, what sealant should I use? 

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

I've fitted a few of these carriers now gingepd. I always fit new rivets that I get from TPS ( you will need one of the big extendable rivet guns for fitting them) The rivets have a large head on them and I've not seen them for sale anywhere other than TPS or main dealers. Some folk have tried other methods  on here but I prefer to play it safe. Yes you will need a sealant. Plumbers gold is by far the best stuff. Available from Screwfix. Make sure you seal all way to top of the carrier. There's instructions on how to do it on here somewhere. Also, make sure you buy plenty of the little green clips for the back of your door card. You're bound to snap a few. They are cheap as chips off e-bay.

2 hours ago, valvedoctor46 said:

I've fitted a few of these carriers now gingepd. I always fit new rivets that I get from TPS ( you will need one of the big extendable rivet guns for fitting them) The rivets have a large head on them and I've not seen them for sale anywhere other than TPS or main dealers. Some folk have tried other methods  on here but I prefer to play it safe. Yes you will need a sealant. Plumbers gold is by far the best stuff. Available from Screwfix. Make sure you seal all way to top of the carrier. There's instructions on how to do it on here somewhere. Also, make sure you buy plenty of the little green clips for the back of your door card. You're bound to snap a few. They are cheap as chips off e-bay.

Thanks valve doctor. I know the rivets are the safest option, ive ordered a lazy tong riveter, what size rivets are they? I have already bought some clips from eBay and I'll check out screwfix for the sealant. Do you know where I can find the instructions on where and how to seal the panel? Can't find any tutorials for a mk1 fabia on YouTube and can't find any detailed, pictured instructions anywhere! Thanks for the reply ;)

Here's a video of how to seal the rear doors (front doors very similar).

Edited by TMB

The pop rivets for door carrier to door are part number N91078801  6.4X10.0mm. There are 10 rivets in each front door.

The pop rivets for regulator to door are part number N90765701 (these also fit the speaker to door carrier). 4.8x15mm

door_rivet.png

reg_rivet.png

http://www.skodaparts.com/product-finder

Edited by TMB

Thanks TMB, this is what I thought for sealing the panel, although I would do it a lot neater and go right up to the top, just to be sure! Popped out and got some plumbers gold earlier for this.

Thanks for the part numbers, I take it these are from Skoda dealers so even though it's only rivets, I suspect an obscene price for them! :D

You have two options when it comes to the regulator. You can buy the whole panel with regulator already assembled on it or you can buy just a repair kit. If you buy the whole panel you will have to swap your old door speaker to the new panel.

Examples...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Window-Regulator-Skoda-Fabia-MK1-Front-Right-Side-Without-Motor-WITH-PANEL-New/282780862725?fits=Model%3AFabia&hash=item41d70d8905:g:KtEAAOSwzlZaO8kE

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKODA-FABIA-ELECTRIC-WINDOW-REGULATOR-FRONT-RIGHT/320682252861?epid=1258226631&hash=item4aaa26da3d:g:WAIAAOSwgv5ZUU17

2 minutes ago, TMB said:

You have two options when it comes to the regulator. You can buy the whole panel with regulator already assembled on it or you can buy just a repair kit. If you buy the whole panel you will have to swap your old door speaker to the new panel.

Examples...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Window-Regulator-Skoda-Fabia-MK1-Front-Right-Side-Without-Motor-WITH-PANEL-New/282780862725?fits=Model%3AFabia&hash=item41d70d8905:g:KtEAAOSwzlZaO8kE

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKODA-FABIA-ELECTRIC-WINDOW-REGULATOR-FRONT-RIGHT/320682252861?epid=1258226631&hash=item4aaa26da3d:g:WAIAAOSwgv5ZUU17

Yes, I have ordered the panel with the regulator on it, as when I was simply trying to screw a new window motor on, I made one turn too many and two of the plastic 'prongs' from the regulator behind broke off, leaving me with no way to attach the motor! 

Not only did it take me ages to source the elusive '6y2959802' driver door motor, but now that I have one the bloody brittle old plastic of the regulator broke! So an even bigger job to do! 

Oh well, just gotta wait for my parts and have a play with it! Its still HALF the cost of a new window motor alone! I have sourced a motor, panel with regulator, bought some sealant, a lazy tong riveter and the rivets for around £100. ;)

• Like 1

On 13/04/2018 at 18:15, TMB said:

Examples...

Hey TMB, all was going brilliantly until putting new panel in and the little lock knob wobbled out of place ! Where does it re-attach to?! Please help! 

15240589367401791692337.jpg

152405898639054442165.jpg

It fits into the door lock mechanism. Chances are the plastic part that holds it into place has cracked or snapped. They are of poor quality tbh and are a swine to refit due to lack of space/maneuverability.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, valvedoctor46 said:

It fits into the door lock mechanism. Chances are the plastic part that holds it into place has cracked or snapped. They are of poor quality tbh and are a swine to refit due to lack of space/maneuverability.

After some wiggling, waggling and slight bending I got the bitch back in place! Sits about 3mm lower in the door card now but still works, goes up and down with lock/unlock! Feeling chuffed with myself and now have functioning windows in time for summer! Many thanks again briskodians! :D

• Like 3

Well done :-)

My locking button came off as well so I just left it off. Doesn't affect anything and you can see the rear door button to check if the car is locked or not.

2 minutes ago, TMB said:

Did you put some sealant around the panel? The fronts can leak just like the rear ones.

I know, door did still lock but I'm too much of a perfectionist to leave it off! Yes i did, used some plumbers gold, went the whole way around as the new panel was slightly warped and wasn't flush with the door, only by a few mil but again, I'm a perfectionist! Haven't really checked any other doors for leaking yet, that's possibly my next job! 

• 5 years later...

Hey Guys!! sorry to bring up an old thread! but is there anything we can use instead of the rivets? As my window appears to get stuck down a few times, even after fitting a new mechanism. I am just a bit scared to commit with the Rivets on the door and then it gets stuck again!