Middle rear seat/ won’t flip fully.

Markyj

I flipped up my varioflex seats today to move some stuff and 2 outer seats flip completely to touch the driver and passenger seats but the middle one gets blocked by the centre arm rest console, anyone else noticed this? 

16 minutes ago, Markyj said:

I flipped up my varioflex seats today to move some stuff and 2 outer seats flip completely to touch the driver and passenger seats but the middle one gets blocked by the centre arm rest console, anyone else noticed this? 

my yeti does it i have to take the headrest out

• 1 month later...
On 4/13/2018 at 19:57, Markyj said:

With the centre seat back fully down, pull on the release cord and push firmly on the seat back again. It will click into a more 'closed' position and will flip forward fully. Just remember to teether to the drivers seat to stop it dropping back. 

Sorry to switch topic slightly but I was annoyed that you can't slide centre seat same as the outter to create even backseat partition in the boot and extend space

I learned it via exercise of trying to fit few suitcases and all I needed was to slide all 3 seats forward 

Edited by vadimo

3 hours ago, vadimo said:

Sorry to switch topic slightly but I was annoyed that you can't slide centre seat same as the outter to create even backseat partition in the boot and extend space

I learned it via exercise of trying to fit few suitcases and all I needed was to slide all 3 seats forward 

It is ridiculous that the centre seat doesn't slide. My Touareg did it, my Alhambra does it and every car with three separate seats does it as far as I know. Strange system as, as you say, if you want to make the boot larger you have to remove the centre seat entirely.

• Like 1

On ‎04‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 11:32, IceyLady said:

I too noticed this about the Yeti. It's such a shame they haven't solved it because it can be really quite annoying when you're OCD :tongueout: 

That's nothing. In the Yeti I found that the plastic collar on the elastic cord for holding the sets upright was marking the plastic collars on the head rests and that the cord for the middle seat was far too tight so I keep a couple of old ties in the boot now and use those instead. OCD or what! :biggrin:

• Haha 1

On 06/06/2018 at 18:00, Tom34 said:

I'm considering just removing the middle seat permanently. Rarely carry 3 in the back so not really got need for it. Will see what I think once it's here.  

Did you go for  VarioFlex? It’s a very neat little feature. 

46 minutes ago, IceyLady said:

Did you go for  VarioFlex? It’s a very neat little feature. 

Hmm I hope so?! This has got me thinking so I've just emailed the dealer. Because I changed my order to an already built SEL model I just assumed it would also have varioflex and haven't been told otherwise. It has leather seats as an added option though so not sure if that could make a difference? 

Edit - just gone through the configurator and it doesn't seem as though leather seats make any difference. Phew :D

Edited by Tom34

On 6/6/2018 at 21:55, gailjon said:

It is ridiculous that the centre seat doesn't slide. My Touareg did it, my Alhambra does it and every car with three separate seats does it as far as I know. Strange system as, as you say, if you want to make the boot larger you have to remove the centre seat entirely.

Just remove the headrest and flip the center seat forward. No big deal.

7 hours ago, gailjon said:

But that doesn't extend the length of the boot though if that extra length is needed. 

Yes it does. See the video clip that Anna-banana posted above.

In more detail:

Remove the center head rest.

Fold the center seat-back down to the seat cushion.

Flip the whole center seat forward and fasten the assembly with the bungie cord.

Slide e the two outer seats forward and raise their backs to the most upright position.

13 hours ago, Tom34 said:

Hmm I hope so?! This has got me thinking so I've just emailed the dealer. Because I changed my order to an already built SEL model I just assumed it would also have varioflex and haven't been told otherwise. It has leather seats as an added option though so not sure if that could make a difference? 

Edit - just gone through the configurator and it doesn't seem as though leather seats make any difference. Phew :D

It comes as standard with the SE L and I think the leather are most definitely VarioFlex so I think you’re good. :)

2 hours ago, Agerbundsen said:

Yes it does. See the video clip that Anna-banana posted above.

In more detail:

Remove the center head rest.

Fold the center seat-back down to the seat cushion.

Flip the whole center seat forward and fasten the assembly with the bungie cord.

Slide e the two outer seats forward and raise their backs to the most upright position.

But that still prevents the centre seat being used by a passenger. It is strange that they designed such a sophisticated system but that the centre section doesn't slide as well as the outers.

Well, if you need three people on the back seat and a s**tload of luggage, maybe it’s time for a Kodiaq?

BTW: The same seat in the Yeti did not slide forward either. This design was introduced in the Roomster originally, and I doubt if it slid forward there either.

Edited by Agerbundsen
additional comment.
  • Like 2

We don't necessarily need to have that situation, I was only saying that it seemed a strange design choice not to have the centre protion of the seat slide forward. It does in the Touareg, Tiguan and many other cars. I was not criticising Skoda as you seem to suggest with your use of language,  in as much pointing out an unusual design feature. 

• Like 1

As I've mentioned in the Yeti forum a couple of times I'm surprised that they've continued the use of Varioflex seats in the Karoq given Health & Safety nowadays and their weight - yes, I'm becoming more wimpy as I get older!

What are the non-Varioflex seats like? Do they fold pretty flat and easy to do? That's what I miss from my estate cars, seats that fold quickly and easily to form a nice big flat load area. 

Gailjon:

I am sure it is a restriction in space for the sliding mechanism. The center seat is on top of the tunnel for the drive axle to the rear. The sliders for the two outside seats are on the floor on either side of that tunnel, so there is no room for slides for the center. The center tunnel is most likely also a stiffening member for the floor pan, as it also exists in non-4x4 vehicles.

So, it is as good as it can be within the size parameters of the vehicle - not an oversight

I have no experience with the Tuareg, but it is much bigger, so may have more room.

VAGCF:

Neither the Varioflex nor the standard folding seats give a flat platform in the boot. In this respect, the standard are probably a little better, as the step between the boot floor and the folded seat backs is quite small. There is a larger step with the Varioflex, as there is some folding/sliding gear below the seat backs. You can take the Varioflex seats out. You cannot take the standard seats out.

With two Yeti's (from 2009) and now the Karoq, I have never had the need to take the back seats out. The boot in the Karoq is a big improvement over the Yeti. Three medium size suitcases stand up lengthwise in the Karoq.

21 minutes ago, Agerbundsen said:

VAGCF:

Neither the Varioflex nor the standard folding seats give a flat platform in the boot. In this respect, the standard are probably a little better, as the step between the boot floor and the folded seat backs is quite small. There is a larger step with the Varioflex, as there is some folding/sliding gear below the seat backs. You can take the Varioflex seats out. You cannot take the standard seats out.

With the vario seats tipped up you've a perfectly flat load space - all the sliding kit flips up with the seat. They flip just as quickly as other seats' seat backs do - the only thing is you've got to tether the seats. 

The boot floor with Varioflex is not flat when the rear seats are moved. With just the seat back tipped forward, there is an approx. 10" step up to the seat surface.

With the seats folded and flipped forward, the resulting platform is abot 1.5 inches lower than the boot floor, and has protruding eyes for locating the seat as well as a rather flimsy cover for the electrical connections to the seats. You would definitely need some form of cover for this platform to protect both the platform and whatever goods you might place there.

With the seats completely removed, the foot wells are a further 5-6 inches lower again.

Note that the pics are from a 4x4 version without a spare wheel.  FWD may have a lower boot floor - maybe higher if a spare is installed.

Varioflex seatb.JPG

P1020151.JPG