A brief hello

As I'm on free transfer from the Yeti section i thought I'd say a brief hello in the Superb III section as I'm picking mine up next week.

My history on the way here since 2003 has been Octavia 1 110 TDi estate, Octavia II facelift Greenline estate, Yeti 110 2wd, Yeti 170 4wd. In parallel my other half has had a Fabia 1 1.2 and the lad has a Citigo.

Having had the current Yeti for 4 years and got it how i wanted it, I'd intended to keep it until it fell apart, but then my usage pattern changed and a small-booted diesel was no longer ideal. I then had a big Volvo as a hire car for a couple of days and realised that I really needed an auto with adaptive cruise control.

Having had a good look about I decided exactly what I wanted. A second-hand 280 Sportline saloon in Dragon Skin green, no sunroof but a towbar for my cycle carrier. And sure enough, next week I collect my brand new 1.4 Sportline estate in Business grey, with a sunroof and no towbar. At least I got the Sportline bit right. The car I'm buying is from my local dealer's stock, so less than a week between wandering in and saying "I like that one" to collection. :-)

So expect me around here on occasion asking stupid questions that have been asked and answered many times before, I've already chipped in to a couple of SIII threads but I expect you'll be sick of me within a couple of weeks.

I think my first job is going be to build a DIY variable floor.

• Like 2

Hi Gyp,

Looking forward to seeing your boot floor project. It's something I've considered for a long time, but with no suitable tools, eye for detail, or discernible talent for such projects I've avoided it. 

Will be interesting to see if my confidence can be bolstered by your experience.

Enjoy the car!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CheshireBumpkin said:

Looking forward to seeing your boot floor project. It's something I've considered for a long time, but with no suitable tools, eye for detail, or discernible talent for such projects I've avoided it. 

What I'm thinking of is very simple.

2 bits of ply cut to size by the nice man in B&Q.

"some wood" of the right depth, cut into short lengths and screwed to the bits of ply near the edge to raise the ply to the correct height.

If it all fits when I've done that, I'll glue some fabric on there to try and match the boot.

How hard can it be?

10 minutes ago, MorrisOx said:

Be careful about your mods if the car’s on a finance deal.

Good point, though as these pieces will not be attached to the car but will effectively be two wide, long, very low tables being carried in the boot, they're "luggage" not "modifications"

Edited by Gyp
I got my lows, wides and longs confused
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Gyp said:

2 bits of ply cut to size by the nice man in B&Q.

It's this bit that worries me, knowing how useless I am at DIY. I can't visualise my boot as I sit here, but is the space perfectly rectangular? If so, the 'pattern' and sizing for the wood false floor should indeed be super-simple, but I was under the impression that it contained a few curves or deviations from a true rectangle and would need a 'pattern' cutting out to a certain shape. Maybe not. If not, and yours works, please share the dimensions and I might finally get my own sorted without my usual cackhanded mis-measurement! :biggrin:

9 hours ago, Gyp said:

Good point, though as these pieces will not be attached to the car but will effectively be two wide, long, very low tables being carried in the boot, they're "luggage" not "modifications"

Yeah, no screwing into the car was the approach I'd thought about too. Whilst it might be a bit cumbersome to remove, it should just be a case of lifting and manoeuvring it out....

8 hours ago, CheshireBumpkin said:

It's this bit that worries me, knowing how useless I am at DIY. I can't visualise my boot as I sit here, but is the space perfectly rectangular? If so, the 'pattern' and sizing for the wood false floor should indeed be super-simple, but I was under the impression that it contained a few curves or deviations from a true rectangle and would need a 'pattern' cutting out to a certain shape. Maybe not. If not, and yours works, please share the dimensions and I might finally get my own sorted without my usual cackhanded mis-measurement! :biggrin:

I'll do my best.

You're right, It's not completely rectangular as can be seen in the Superskoda picture of the boot mat

3V9061163.jpg

But I'd characterise it as a big rectangle with a couple of bits trimmed off at either end.

The slightly revised plan is to use the boot mat (which is currently on it's way here) as a template to trim the ends of the boards; draw round then cut slightly inside the line to allow for the carpet. 

(I'm working on the basis that the sticking on of the carpet will hide a multitude of sins)

45 minutes ago, Gyp said:

But I'd characterise it as a big rectangle with a couple of bits trimmed off at either end.

The slightly revised plan is to use the boot mat (which is currently on it's way here) as a template to trim the ends of the boards; draw round then cut slightly inside the line to allow for the carpet. 

(I'm working on the basis that the sticking on of the carpet will hide a multitude of sins)

One thing to bear in mind, that mat is slightly shorter than the length of the VBF by a few inches, i.e. if it is push towards the front of the car to be up against the back of the rear seats, it doesn’t meet the tailgate lip. Unless I ordered or got sent the wrong one :blink: the only reason I can think it is like this is to be able to lie flat when the VBF is in the lowered position. In this position, the three or four inches of the VBF nearest the rear seats is sloping down (part of the way it flattens or raises).

The mat is reversible, nice carpet one side, wipe clean ribs on the other as in your picture. So you might not want to stick it permanently, maybe use some Velcro tape along the edges. (Also, mine was shipped rolled up. So it took a while to go flat again, maybe a week in the boot with some weight on it.)

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Ivan8192 said:

One thing to bear in mind, that mat is slightly shorter than the length of the VBF by a few inches, i.e. if it is push towards the front of the car to be up against the back of the rear seats, it doesn’t meet the tailgate lip. Unless I ordered or got sent the wrong one :blink: the only reason I can think it is like this is to be able to lie flat when the VBF is in the lowered position. In this position, the three or four inches of the VBF nearest the rear seats is sloping down (part of the way it flattens or raises).

The mat is reversible, nice carpet one side, wipe clean ribs on the other as in your picture. So you might not want to stick it permanently, maybe use some Velcro tape along the edges. (Also, mine was shipped rolled up. So it took a while to go flat again, maybe a week in the boot with some weight on it.)

Ah good point.

I think that the mat pictured (that I've ordered) is for the "standard" floor, not the VBF, so there will be some variation. They do different mats for use with the VBF, which fold up, fold out and do all sorts of magic.

I'm struggling at the moment as of course I have neither the car nor the mat to look at. Things should become clearer later this week when i should at least have the car.

When I was talking about sticking the carpet, I was thinking about https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ZA5VIRE

81tg9Qb8L3L._SL1500_.jpg

stuck to my TPNQSVBF (Two-Piece Not Quite So Variable Boot Floor) with the OEM one sat loose/reversible on top.

I've retained the reversible one from my Yeti so I can put that over the seat backs when using the full boot floor. Hopefully I can store it under the TPNQSVBF when not in use

6 minutes ago, Gyp said:

Likely the cleanest it'll ever be

-GnxgUK4OWqMddO9lfuVZHIrwvnlKXYj70E5ctpQTfGYDtDiqrPq_lYlYsK31CaUkEEhmzDZx-ltoPj1-KtIHksMAhh7coUKgtxhSFuzXHvoao5GPfXVeCAsPROo34fSG1L5B0KF-tv6mtYax6lXXpqFIoVzVaUYR17tLyCUmW2QShShsRBdh9XdQeTGOI04h3MNtyM8lVa1DUGypAMjdc-Nt5rN6IXuVdIpDklWQDALz6bJ3ARg_Bly9kN-YSo1ua_8yE_kKCDjW22yp1S4XL5v5xaCXxP2RlYJ9Dga7PECOkLrFjvOcFkW0mPqpDq9RP2-jBPWvesk4cm-rfVlz0XjweYvHwGKIapzARlyy-UdZ--yIGj0l8Ngu-ZLWBGUzeFIP7kRsui_f9T3a30Mbecrt5LkM9dDcJf9h5Xh76oBsBYVPY1SFFibXDC4fCRZ6VKC9KXLXngh2DZR4ZzxbUxPCsv0jeyV8eNahIKDQGx-EppP-lAoODB2-AwVxEbMHSbbs1Nn6H60Uyef4Rkr6bgAyt5GkdpAWeDfIAHPwzJ8upTrS2NIvgKHrbwNsrA---PdClaX2lcpHGZsF7yKrozCNQGMGpGp40m46GWk=w1266-h949-no

And I've got the wood for the TPNQSVBF 

Looks fantastic :thumbup:

And no doubt the TPNQSVBF will only add to its appeal :)

2 hours ago, Gyp said:

Likely the cleanest it'll ever be

-GnxgUK4OWqMddO9lfuVZHIrwvnlKXYj70E5ctpQTfGYDtDiqrPq_lYlYsK31CaUkEEhmzDZx-ltoPj1-KtIHksMAhh7coUKgtxhSFuzXHvoao5GPfXVeCAsPROo34fSG1L5B0KF-tv6mtYax6lXXpqFIoVzVaUYR17tLyCUmW2QShShsRBdh9XdQeTGOI04h3MNtyM8lVa1DUGypAMjdc-Nt5rN6IXuVdIpDklWQDALz6bJ3ARg_Bly9kN-YSo1ua_8yE_kKCDjW22yp1S4XL5v5xaCXxP2RlYJ9Dga7PECOkLrFjvOcFkW0mPqpDq9RP2-jBPWvesk4cm-rfVlz0XjweYvHwGKIapzARlyy-UdZ--yIGj0l8Ngu-ZLWBGUzeFIP7kRsui_f9T3a30Mbecrt5LkM9dDcJf9h5Xh76oBsBYVPY1SFFibXDC4fCRZ6VKC9KXLXngh2DZR4ZzxbUxPCsv0jeyV8eNahIKDQGx-EppP-lAoODB2-AwVxEbMHSbbs1Nn6H60Uyef4Rkr6bgAyt5GkdpAWeDfIAHPwzJ8upTrS2NIvgKHrbwNsrA---PdClaX2lcpHGZsF7yKrozCNQGMGpGp40m46GWk=w1266-h949-no

Very nice!  It looks like the dealer has prep'd it well for you.

Enjoy :biggrin:

4 hours ago, Gyp said:

Is that similar to getting the wood for the England Ladies' Hockey Team*? 

*Other beautiful ladies are also available.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bud said:

*Other beautiful ladies are also available.

:-)

9 hours ago, Bud said:

*Other beautiful ladies and men are also available.

Come on @Bud it's 2018.  FTFY :biggrin:

I've seen that Tom Daley photograph in your wallet 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3